Need help finding a good music player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I know there are many, many music players for computers and that makes things a bit confusing. Here is my situation- I have some songs saved on Playlist.com. It seems to work pretty well as I can search for music and upload it to my online "player" easy enough. But sometimes the songs become "unavailable". I would like a software player I can import my Playlist.com song list to and save them. I am also running Vista. It would be nice if I can find a player that has a few simple features, maybe even an equalizer. Basically I just want to save my songs and play them later without having to go online. I am not really that interested in burning songs to a cd. And I am thinking that the total number of songs I'll end up with will be maybe 100 or so. Freeware would be fine and something I would have to pay for may be ok too. Simple is the key. Any ideas?

2. HURST

HURST Registered Member

3. acr1965

Can I import my playlist to winamp? I am also looking at mediamonkey. Does anyone know if I can if I can import my playlist to mm? Also I am wanting to save the songs to the program, not just the url address.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Winamp supports playlists, but I've never used playlist.com, so I can't tell if that is gonna work...

5. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

WMP11 will play your playlist without problems. It´s free and is including an equalizer and many more.
    ;)

Edit:
    And you can save your songs local and create an own playlist (local) with mediaplayer. All you need is there...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Try Spider Player.

It's actually portable so it can run off a USB stick and doesn't write registry entries.

The default skin isn't that great, but there are a selection of others you can download.

The free version allows you to rip songs to mp3 (but only one at a time). All up, it's only a few MB in size.

Home page:
    http://spider-player.com/

Portable version:
    http://spider-player.com/content/view/28/66/

Some screenshots:
    http://spider-player.com/content/view/17/33/

Here's a range of other players that won't fill your system up with a million registry entries:
    http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=43

7. acr1965

Thanks for the list. Does Spider free version allow only 10 songs to be uploaded? Foobar and Winamp Lite look interesting too.

8. munckman

munckman Registered Member

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Maybe I just have a weird ear, but the sound out of Winamp has so far been the only computer-based player that satisfies the audiophile in me. It just sounds so "clean" if you will. Just an opinion :)

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

So many good music players and within this a diverse feature set.

I play all my music Via XMBC on my Xbox nowadays, but I always liked Winamp with only the media library add-on for browsing my Music, more recently I liked Windows Media player 9, but stopped using it after reliability problems, not had a need to use Windows Media Player 10 yet due to Using XBMC.
    A lot of people rate Foobar, but I did not find the GUI intuitive for browsing and generating playlists.

11. Saraceno

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, Alexis is crazy! Nice find, this is a good player.

Edit: Ok, goodbye Winamp

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  13. acr1965

I tried this and it seemed to work. I was not able to navigate between the songs very well. Is there some way to show the list of songs?

14. acr1965

15. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

I use foobar2000 for audio playback of my mp3s. Handles playlists, low on resource usage.

16. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Check out AIMP2 2.11

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1226141&postcount=29

http://www.aimp.ru/index.php?do=cat&category=aimp

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  17. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Thanks for that markymoo.
    If I can get my laptop's media buttons to work with it, I *might* even replace winamp (using it since 1997).

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Great, I had a security software addiction, now I have an audio player addiction. AIMP is cool too! Sometimes I hate these forums, lol.

19. Saraceno

dw426, try the skin "Atomic". Best one I've used. I can listen to music at work and noone would know I'm loading tracks, changing the volume, song progression, all with this small transparent icon sitting on top of my programs. :)

You can access while in any program as it's transparent and just cycles away.

See images attached. First one when it's highlighted, and the second one once it is spinning.:thumb:

Attached Files:

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That IS cool! Lol, I need to just log out and not come back for a while, now I have a skin addiction (now that sounds weird, lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.