Need Help Again, this might b a dumb question...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WhiteShadow., Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteShadow.

WhiteShadow. Registered Member

I got help getting my computer working but i have around 100 trojans on my computer and many files are damaged on my drive, i'd like to reformat and start clean again, i backed up the files i need and scanned them to make sure they are clean.
    Here's my problem:
    I try formatting my drive in a command prompt and this is what happens:
    "Format c:
    Enter volume label: bla bla bla..
    All Data will be lost (Y)

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted. Would You Like to force a dismount? (Y)
    Cannot lock drive, volume is still in use."

Everything on my computer is closed except vital things needed to run, i even tried in safe mode. Also i tried right clicking on the C drive and formatting from there but i got a similar error as in command prompt, it tells me that there's utilities or programs using the drive.
    I also tried reinstalling a fresh windows OS to replace what i have but i get errors about multiple OS on a single partition.
    I don't know what to do, i could "repair" my OS but i dont know what that does.
    Can somebody give me simple instructions on how to format my hard drive and start clean again?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

No question is dumb.

Correct me if I am wrong....but it appears you are trying to Format your hard drive while Windows is loaded ?

Also....from a previous thread I saw where you are using XP....correct ?

I would suggest you boot your system with the Windows XP Install CD and run Setup to then format. Perhaps the below link is something you can print out then attempt to Format.

This link---> Using the XP Installation CD to Format Drives

3. WhiteShadow.

I am using NTFS and i did try to reinstall my operating system like that webpage says. I was assuming that if i tried to install again it would overwrite my old stuff, but when i did it i got a message saying that there would be 2 OS running under one partition instead of formatting the drive?
    in the list of partitions there was one large one that looked like it had all the files on my computer in it, it was 24GB, and another that was an "unpartitioned" section it was only 8MB. Should i delete one and try to install again? Will it overwrite my old OS and format my drive?

I dont know how to boot my system or start without running windows? Is that my problem?

Also when i use the XP install cd i dont see any options that say they'll format my drive just an upgrade or a new installation.

im confused.

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

5. WhiteShadow.

I need to reformat my hard drive and everybody tells me to reinstall windows, I tried to reinstall windows and my problem is it wont let me format my C drive, which is the one with all the problems.
    When i get to the partition part and i click to delete the main partition (C Drive) it tells me it cant do it because there are files on it needed for installation, and thats all.
    Also as i've tried to reformat before, so now when i first turn on my computer i get a screen that says 3 things and asks which i want to start
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows Setup
    the windows that works is the very top one, the second one down gets me an error sayins Hal.dll is missing and needs to be replaced, and i dont have the setup disk in the drive so i dont know why it tries to start in setup mode.
    I really need to wipe out my hard drive and start fresh. Any Ideas?

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Have you created a system recovery disk before contracting so many threats? If you have, have you tried booting from this disk / these disks you made?

Jimbob

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The second one starts in setup mode because it has all *important* setup files loaded onto your hard disk, its an incomplete installation, therefore it starts in setup mode to complete installation.

When you boot through the Windows XP CD (I hope you know how to boot through Windows XP CD), it might ask you for 'repairing' your current Windows XP. Do NOT do that!!!

In the partition select screen, (if you do not mind losing your data), DELETE ALL PARTITIONS FIRST! Then make only ONE partition (the one in which you want Windows to be installed) and install Windows on the same. Once you got Windows up and running, got to 'Control Panel' and go to the 'Performance and Maintenance' category, there go to 'Administrative Tools'; and click on 'Computer Management'.

Once here; go to 'Disk Manager'. From here it should be straightforward; consult the help file or contact us here if you need help. Format and Partition all your drives as 'Primary partition' and you'll get rid of the 8MB unpartitioned space for good.

Have a nice day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.