need good firewall for Fedora core 6 (Zod) and Ubuntu 7.4 linux

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mack_guy911, Oct 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

dont know how to confugure fedora firewall and also needed good firewall for ubuntu linux too

its there any other firewall than firestarter, iPCop, and smoothwall which is among best if there is no any other firewall which is better than there 3 and easy to configure........

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Believe it or not, iptables. Just read about it.

There was one GUI for iptables package i liked, FireFlier. Last time i checked, it was discontinued, but someone was considering picking it up.

Fireflier was basically iptables for the main rules (even the wording was the same as iptables, making it a rules based fw), with the advantage of being a GUI, and it had application control, plus you could build the rules as the packets arrived (not sure how much of that was just app control).
    App control was problematic since it was not implemented properly (and going past the discussion of it being necessary or not).
    Never tried it for being discontinued, but i will someday just to look at it.

Anyway, my suggestion is iptables.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

IPCop and Smoothwall are "Linux router distros". You install them on a computer to use it as a hardware firewall.

FireStarter is just a frontend for iptables iirc. And theres also Guarddog, another frontend. Both are nice.

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Firestarter is what you need. The router distros turn a computer into a very powerful dedicated router and firewall.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    FireFlier or FireStarter?
    Cheers,
    Mrk

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

7. mack_guy911

Thanks all of you for you kind replay

i got your point that ipcop and smoothwall is routerbase firewall
    which one is better and it say i will delete entire harddrive i have just newly formatted hardrive installed which is formatted with DM(disk manager) so not much data on it just OS

so i was just wondering if i can install IPCOP or smoothwall on it and then also window XP and linux after and use it
    what i mean to say is if i can make my computer router by installing ipcop or smoothwall can i use same computer also having diffrent OS installed and router at a same time on a same PC
    i know i am asking silly question .....LOL but i am not techo-GURU like you guys....:p

i was exatly looking for gui based firewall
    i will try firestarter........:D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Smoothwall/IPCop are meant to replace your el cheapo home router with better performance and more features.
    Running other services/OSes in a machine destinated to protect your network opens a door for vulnerabilities.
    Since both IPCop and Smoothwall (and other Linux/BSD based UTM appliances) run on outdated hardware, you can build a dedicated machine with spare parts or buy used parts for few bucks. A P3 with 256 MB of RAM is fine for a home connection and most of the advanced features turned on.

9. mack_guy911

i am that old crap wall pc p3 i mean i am still using that outdated pc
    and my brother is using core 2 deo pc can i install ipcop or smoothwall as well as operating system locally on same pc

i mean to say only 1 pc having OS (operating system) + smoothwall will it work on single machine

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

No. It's really supposed to be an OS by itself, alone. It transforms a normal computer into a hardware firewall/router. Supposed to be on an old pc for several reasons, one of them being that you won't waste resources (and a nice new pc for just a router).

In the end, they themselves are just iptables, but easy to configure as securely as possible. So if you're not into learning iptables, just look for a GUI or a script to configure iptables.
    I now remember that Bastille Linux also configures it. I haven't tried that yet, mainly because i don't know what happens with my own rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.