Need firewall with two features...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 0utf0xZer0, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Registered Member

First off, let me say that since my computers are behind a hardware firewall (except for one laptop which ends up on wireless networks away from home sometimes), I mainly use software firewalls for outgoing program control.

Specifically, I'm used to the older Zone Alarm style of outgoing program control, which had two incredibly useful features. First, when you gave a program internet access permission, you didn't have to give it permission to use every praticular port it needed. I really dislike how a lot of firewalls I've tried ask me like a dozen times if I want to let a program go out, and in a lot of cases I don't want to give the program auto access, so I'm stuck doing this time and time again.

Second, I liked the ability I had with older Zone Alarm versions to use "Y" and "N" to allow or deny access. This is because when I have a firewall window pop up in the middle of a game, it usually doesn't render properly, so this ability is an necessity for me. And not only have I not found it on most firewalls I tried, but the latest Zone Alarm doesn't seem to have it. Furthermore, the older ZA version I have that does have that feature crashes my Windows install when I put it on.

Anyone got any suggestions here?

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Comodo personal firewall can be set on very wall which is only 1 popup per application and if it comes up in the middle of games it doesnt freeze it like others firewalls cause all u gotta do is alt+tab and allow.

3. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

It is very understandable that this is frustrating for many. Probably what is happening is you are getting numerous prompts for local ports, and not just remote ports. For instance, your browser may need to connect to your local ip on several local ports. The first prompt you get may be port 1025, so you allow it with a permanent rule. This is usually followed by another on port 1026, so you repeat allow, and then again again on port 1027...etc..etc. That is why it is necessary with a firewall like this that allows very tight rules to go into and edit the rules manually. I like to allow a local port range of 1025-5000, where necessary. This covers all the basis and eliminates any further prompts for this rule.

The same goes for remote ports, except that with Ad muncher, which my browser connects through, I will specify ports 80,81,82,8080 and 443. i do this ASAP so that I am not prompted for each and evry one of those ports in the furure. As much work as it is in the beginning to get your rules set up, it is worth it in the end because you now have a custom set that you can back up and use again for the same fw if you ever need to re-install it.

I haven't talked about all the rule possibilities, of course, but these are just some that can drive some people nuts. Personally, I am a glutton for this type of "punishment". I love to customize rules on end when I am prompted to do so. It just gives me some peace of mind, perhaps, knowing exactly how each app wants to connect to the network, and that I can control how this happens. It's a learning experience as well, which I like. This may seem kind of weird, but it's sort of a hobby, I guess :)

However, this is not for everyone. Some people only want a simple "Allow" or "Deny" option without any further modifications. I do believe Comodo can be set up, more or less, this way, but it likely entails disabling most of the Advanced monitoring options and setting Alert Frequency level to lowest. I would say for anyone behind a NAT router who wants this type of pc firewall is probably better off not even using one, because now outbound control of apps is almost non-existant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.