Need few startup hints beyond what the manual says.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by act8192, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

BartPE is a custom Windows environment which allows you to run the Windows ATI program from CD. The utility to create the environment (and burn the CD) is nothing to do with Acronis. What they (and others like mustang) provide is a form of the Windows ATI program which can be integrated into Bart PE. This is known as a plugin.

The boot CD which ATI can make itself (known as the rescue CD) normally boots into Linux, and comes with a Linux version of ATI. If you can create a rescue disk from the True Image application you have obviously installed the ability to do so. If you can create a rescue disk, boot from it, access your hardware and restore, you do not need BartPE.

F.

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

This is the folder that's created upon Complete (or something to that effect) install

C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE

and which contains the TI plugin to include into the BartPE CD. You may just want to check whether you have got it or not, because, as foghorne says, you only need BartPE if the regular Rescue CD doesn't work (well) with any of your hardware.

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

No, I do not have it. I'd like to have it, I think, for safety. I guess, I must have taken Typical installation, which surprises me somewhat. How should I include it now?

Another issue:
    I swear I read the manual again and again but sometimes, while I understand what things do, I don't know why nor what's best. So here's a simple question, I hope.
    What are Advantages/Disadvantages of doing a backup to external USB while using CD recovery mode rather than normal Windows mode. I know that doing an image in normal Windows mode does a fine job. So why would I want to do a backup being in the Linux mode?

4. foghorne

Only if you are paranoid about the reliability of doing a backup from an environment where lots of programs are running and interacting with the data.

Reasons why you might not want to use Linux mode for backups are that

i) the strategy for backing up for windows is transactionally safe and is documented. There is no reason why it should not work properly, I cannot remember any posts suggesting problems with it and I have never experienced any. As far as I can tell any concerns about backing up from Windows are psychological ones.

2) If you want to do scheduled, non-interactive backups you cannot use the rescue disk.

A reason why you might want to use Linux mode for restoration is that Windows cannot restore to its system partition it needs ATI to boot from a different boot device (like a CD) so it can perform the update.

F.

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

This hasn't been advertised much, but since TI9 build 3567 the option to restore the system partition starting from Windows has been made very user-friendly. I use it regularly now.

From Windows, I invoke the Recovery wizard and make the necessary selections to restore partition C:. TI recognizes that I'm going to restore the system partition and asks me to confirm reboot before proceeding. After reboot it loads the Linux rescue environment from the TI installation on the HD and carries out the restore. Look ma - no Rescue CD.

Since that improvement my Rescue CD is kept on storage for the event that Windows crashes or the system drive fails and needs replacement.

Addendum: Automatic validation before restore should be off. If it's not TI9 will validate twice, before and after reboot. Validation should be performed, of course, but invoked manually before entering the Recovery wizard.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  6. foghorne

Hi bVolk,

I had assumed the term "Linux mode" to includ both this bootstrap *and* the rescue CD. Sorry if I was not clear.

F.

7. como

como Registered Member

Run the installer again and click on custom you will be given the option to choose what is installed, make sure you don't install TI again

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

No problem at all foghorne.

It's me - getting talkative since I learned act8192 to be a lady ... :D

9. act8192

Please bear with me. Is rescue CD = recovery CD = BartPE = Linux recovery?
    I did try reinstallation, I did not see anything about BartPE there. So I don't have it, right? Considering how well things got recovered from a CD I made immediately after installation, I probably don't need it. But this area is very fuzzy in spite of your explanations :(

10. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Rescue CD = recovery CD = Linux recovery = standalone TI = bootable CD = ...

that's the CD you create with the TI Create Bootable Rescue Media tool - invoked from the TI main menu. You need it to run TI if Windows crashes or the system drive dies. It runs TI in a barebones Linux environment.

BartPE CD (Bart's Preinstallation Environment) is also a bootable CD, but based on Windows, in which TI users include the TI plugin upon creation. You only need it if the Linux drivers included in the regular TI Rescue CD don't work well (or not at all) with your hardware.

During the complete install of my TI9, the files and subfolders comprising what's called "the TI plugin for BartPE" have been unpacked and just stored in

C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE

for me to include them in the BartPE CD if I wanted to create one. I believe it's the same with TI10, or is it?

I just went back to your first post and saw that you have a trial version of TI10 and it seems quite logical that the plugin files are not icluded in the trial version since they would enable anyone to create a nonexpiring free TI application running from the BartPE disk.

Edit:: No, it has been more that 15 days since your first post, so you must have got the real thing by now. Did you uninstall the trial version before installing the payed one?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  11. act8192

Yes, it's bought, and Yes, I uninstalled trial, installed and registered v10, made the rescue cd, been doing images and practicing since. Look, I've taken up enough of everybody's time. I'll reread the book again, and muddle my way through that BartPE thing. I'm unlikely to need anyway which is what foghorne said clearly in post 26. I've got reread all this. I'll get there.

I really, really, like this product and the support of on this forum. THANKS to ALL.

12. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

You are welcome act8192,

Right, there is no real need to create the BartPE CD as long as the Rescue CD works well with your hardware (though mine works but I made Bart's just for fun and exercise). Besides, the first thing you would need to create BartPE CD is the Windows install disk that many do not get nowadays.

Enjoy "computing with confidence".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.