Need AVK opinions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Aug 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I was just wondering what people thought of AVK. I had NOD32 and liked it a lot. I am however concerned a little about it's trojan detection capablities and it's archive scanning . Also, AVG 7.0 pro to my knowledge has a pretty good archive scanning engine. I haven't found too many reviews on it, none actually. I found AVK for around $9.00 and thought I would give it a try because it uses the engines of both KAV and RAV. I thought I would give it a try. Any opinions...

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Archive scanning is a rather unimportant point for choosing an av software.

Might be but what does it matters to have archive scanning if the detection rate is rather poor?

AVK is okay. I don't know if your 9 $ deal will include daily updates as well. Here in Germany AVK is sold in different pricing categories and the lowest allows only updates every 2 weeks. Besides that nothing against AVK except of the fact that it is due to its two scan engines very slow as on access scanner.

wizard

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Guest

I purchased Extendia AVK for around $8. It's distributed by Boomerang Software. It only has the KAV engine. It ran very nice on my computer. The only thing I had against it was it's tech support. Very slow and not very helpful.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The extendia AVK with just the KAV engine ran well on my computer also.
    Updates were almost daily.

I think it is more a primary av than a backup scanner though.(I don't like the idea of running two av monitors)

I had less success with support than Hobnob.
    I never got a response.

If it's the double-engine version(extendia AVK Pro) for $9 that is a cheap price.
    I never tried that av.

5. octogen

octogen Registered Member

What kind of processor do you have? If I may ask. What is your Operating System? If it is not Win98, has anyone else tried it on his/her computer with Win98 or Win98SE? Did it work well there? Thanks in advance. :)

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Guest

AMD Athlon 700. XP Home. Sorry, can't answer your question about 98/98SE

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Check out this recent thread;

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11093;start=msg73150#msg73150

Since it has the KAV engine, it has excellent unpacking/trojan detection abilities to go with its top-notch virus detection.

Reading through the posts, support and resource usage may/may not be a problem.

Fo the price it's worth trying, even if you only use it as a backup scanner.

For example, since AVG Pro uses the same virus definition base as the free version, you could use AVG free and AVK together which would probably work out cheaper than buying the commercial AVG.

However, if AVK has no noticeable effect on your system go with this as your primary scanner

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

This program *should* run great on a 98 box with at least 96 mb of RAM.

eXtendia AVK with the KAV engine is actually has a pretty small hit on my system resources. I'm using it as a backup scanner, and when loaded, it's really small in the VM readings.

The one e-mail I sent to tech support was answered in under 12 hours. I wasn't satisfied with the response, but I did get a human being.

HTH

9. crazykidjoe

crazykidjoe Registered Member

I use it as an on demand scanner with KAV as my main AV. I really like it. It does use alot of resources if used as the main AV. It updates daily, sometimes twice or more a day it seems. It finds every nasty just like KAV. I've notice if I only use the KAV engine of AVK, it uses less resources than KAV..c

10. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Thanks, everyone for your informative and quick responses! A buddy of mine needed an AV program and he bought the Extendia program from WalMart. He has a machine similar to Hobnob's running Win98SE. I tell him to give it try. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.