Need advise

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Leafybeansprout, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leafybeansprout

Leafybeansprout Registered Member

Hello, first off im a first time poster but i have been a long time reader.

Im here today becuase im not to shure if my PC defences are up-to-snuff.

Personal note : (I have became MAJOR paranoid after contracting Lovgate.k. It corrupted almost every exe file, and disabled my pc to the point it was unable to be repaired. So a lenglthly reformat was the only option)

Im running

windows 2000 Pro
    Zonealarm (free version)
    Pc-cillin (2002 version)
    Ad-aware (free version)
    Spybot - Search & Destroy (Always free ^-^)
    Spyware Blaster (Always free yet agian)
    RegistryProtect (free)
    ProcessGaurd (free)

Ok, as you can clearly see im not made of money :\ I do have Norten2003 I may install later. But I really cant purcase any new software.

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly accepted.

Thank you,
    Leafybeansprout

PS: please dont reccomend trial software. Even if it did everything i could ever dream of (make food, fill out taxes, do house work) I cant upgrade to the real thing.
    PSS: not that i would see it here, but i have had people tell me to just download "Bootleg" versions. Please non of that ;)

2. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

there is a lot of free antiviruses available!
    but first, why not norton 2003? not running an av is stupid these days(pardon my language) and norton, while not my fav, is better than nothing at all(do you get updates for pccillin?)

free ones:

full protection
    anti-vir personal edition
    avg free
    avast

on demand only
    bit defender
    f-prot for dos

and most notably the computer associates free e-trust promo if it is still available

since you got norton, and if you live in usa, you can get mcafee virus scan for a very low price..

very cheap av's:
    kavlite: 20€
    extendia avk: was it sometime less than 20€

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, you seem to have a reasonable set of tools available already, (and more tools does not necessarily mean better security), so perhaps the next thing to look at would be system configuration and general security practices.

Given the insight you've already shown just by the way you've written this post, I'd have to imagine you are already keeping current on all patches and updates as they become available from Microsoft. Also, that you are keeping your AV and the defs of all those other tools updated, as well. So, how about security settings...

What browser and email client are you using? If you are using IE and OE, there are security settings and options which will make those more secure. This is a good site for general security and privacy tips:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm

I use Internet Explorer and have it set rather restricted. I use the security zones available to full advantage. I set tight security (higher than default) for the Internet Zone, add the sites I trust and which need lower security settings to the Trusted Zone and use Eric Howes IE-SpyAd to populate the Restricted zone with well over 6000 known bad sites. This type of thing increases security quite a bit.

As for email, perhaps people can suggest some good alternative and free email clients. I do use OE and have it securely set, but a lot of people prefer to replace OE with something that starts out much more secure to begin with.

It may be important to understand your general computing habits to advise you further. If you tend to download a lot of programs, do general file sharing or use IM in dangerous ways, then advice would be different than if you do none of this.

BTW - Welcome to Wilders as a newly registered member. :)

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

since LWM asked i'll tell you my favourite e-mail client: pegasus mail 4.12! again free..
    if you have your outlook express configured safely there's probably no need to change.. why change if you're used to it and happy with it..

if you use internet explorer you might want to add a pop-up blocker, or get a browser that has one included, like mozilla/firebird, opera, or some ie add-on like avant or myie

how is your spam situation? you might want to get mailwasher free or some similar spam cleaner

5. Leafybeansprout

boy, 3 responces already :D

illukka : Thanks for the Anti-virus app recommendations. Im about to install norton as i speak. Im also thinking of getting a free Viral scanner. But, would i have problems if i am running more then 1 anti virus?

LowWaterMark: Yep, i check for updates daily, so im covered there. I use IE but i use a web-based E-mail system with bellsouth. As for my computer habits? Im a gamer who is constantly downloading something. be it a patch, a demo, or other gaming utilitys. I have done some p2p. I do alot of surfing and some IM'ing on this side.

illukka : Im currently using the google free anti-popup toolbar. (Adware free, i have scanned it over and over) As for spam, bellsouth is REALLY good about filtering spam. last peice of "spam" i got was a chain letter ;)

So i guess my question this time around is, would Norton or Pc-cillin clash with each other? And would adding another free program spell problems for me? o_O

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Leafy.

It's not recommended to have two a/v monitors running at the same time.

If you can do a full install for one antivirus and install just the on-demand scanner for a second a/v,that would be safer in regards to possible conflicts. ;)

7. Leafybeansprout

Many thanks The Tester :)

Im running Norton 2004 with Bit-Defender as a backup.

No conficts i hope :D

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Its ok to have a backup; just keep the secondary on "on-demand" only. Its when you have two active at once when there's problems ;)

9. driftalong

driftalong Registered Member

About the only thing I would add is, install the Opera browser. It is arguably the most secure browser available as it does not have any where near the exploits that MS products do. It has it's own built in email client too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.