Need Advice on Processor

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Douglas, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hello all,
    I know this isn't security related, but you're the guys and gals I trust most, so here is my question.

I am a total newbie when it comes to hardware. I did just recently install a 80g HD, but it took me quite a bit of effort.
    I'd like to get a new processor (mine is a Pentium ll ).
    The questions:
    1) Can I just go out and get a top of the line processor, or do I need to know other things first?
    2) Could I install it myself (I DO like to learn), or would it be better to have a professional do it?

Sorry if these questions are a bit silly, but this is very new for me.

Thanks,
    Douglas

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

How old is your computer? CPU how many Mhz?

3. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi beetlejuice,

I don't know the age. I bought it from a guy who built it part by part. It was a least a few years old I imagine, because the hard drive went out on me and I had to buy a new one.

355Mhz.

Regards,
    Douglas

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You really need to find out how much ram your board will support. You can not just drop a very fast proc in a comp that does not have the supporting hard and software. Use your system information in your comp and find out what mother board you have and contact a reputable computer shop and they should be able to tell you what your system will support. I hope this will help you. ;)

5. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi bigc73542 :),

Yes it does help. It seems to me, then, if I really want to upgrade, I may need to think about a motherboard also. Correct?

Thanks,
    Douglas

6. bigc73542

It is one possibility. You may be able to put a large enough proc. in to do what you want to. If you just want to look at a few mother boards to see what is out there you can go to the link and look around.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=14

7. Douglas

Douglas Guest

WOW! What a link! :D
    If I could give you 50 cookies at once, I would.
    Thanks for the help, bigc73542.

Regards,
    Douglas

8. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

A _fart_ processor hey.....LOL.....never heard of one of them before :p :D.

LMAO,
    Jade.

9. bigc73542

Bowserman shame on you bringing that up :D

10. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi again. :)

That company sells motherboard "bundles": a motherboard and corresponding processor. So assuming they are to be trusted, I could just choose one in my price range.
    But, and this is the biggy, just how hard is it to install a motherboard and processor by yourself?
    Does anyone have experience doing this?

Regards,
    Douglas

11. root

root Registered Member

Douglas the problems you might run into in going this route are many. If you buy a motherboard/processor bundle, I don't know if it comes with the processor installed or not. Installing one of the new processors does take some prior knowledge.
    Another consideration is you will almost certainly have to buy new memory. Depending on your OS, you would want 256-512 megs minimum. Also important is how many slots the motherboard has for memory for future upgrades and what type memory it uses.
    Another consideration is the PCI slots, ie: how many do you need?
    Also, an old powersupply may not be adequate for your new processor and motherboard.
    If you do this you need to know the form factor of the motherboard you computer will accept.
    I think Detox just built a homemade job, maybe he can help. I'm not trying to discourage you, just give you a heads up on what you might run into.
    That's why the last time I was looking at a new computer, I got a 2.2 Gig PIV from Dell for $499 plus $100 to upgrade the memory. If you don't know how to shop around for the best deals on sale and build from scratch, it is usually cheaper to buy a pre made from Dell or somewhere else. I would not recommend Gateway to my worst emeny.
    I mean this to be helpful and nothing more. I have built computers most of my professional life for everyone from Burrows to the Undersea Warfare Lab. Did some work on Nasa stuff too. I still would go slow in trying to build one of the new PCs today. If you're not properly grounded, you can zap a processor in a heartbeat.

12. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi root :),

I appreciate this honest advice more than you know. It took me a couple months to have the spare funds just to buy a harddrive to get back on the internet.
    Now that I have a little more money, the last thing I want to do is blow it by making a big mistake.
    From what you describe, I know I don't have the expertise to do it myself.
    Thanks root,
    Douglas

13. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Douglas,
    you should probably go the website of your MB maker. They usually have bios flashes to allow your MoBo to accept faster CPU's, if it doesn't accept faster CPU's already. Your MoBo site will also show info and firmware/software upgrades you may need for today's faster CPU's.
    Chances are IMHO, your MoBo in it's present form (BIOS) won't accept a faster (top of the line?) CPU. It may accept a P-533 with a flashed Bios. That's a 200mhz increment, which was respectable in the P-333 days.
    I think a new MoBo and CPU are your safest bet.
    I recommend AMD for their great price. Comparable to Intel IMHO!

What is the make of the MoBo?

regards,
    bill :)

14. root

root Registered Member

Bill, I think with a 355MHZ processor on an old machine, there is very little hope of simply upgrading the processor to the the point that it would be money well spent.
    Also, depending on how old the MB is, it used to be risky business to flash the bios.
    Anyway, I would think his biggest constraint would be what type socket he has with a 355. Also bus speeds come into play.
    I agree a new MB and CPU would be better, but he has indicated he does not have a lot of experience with all that could be involved. When you're short on money, even relatively cheap memory seems very expensive.
    His new hard drive can always be used later as an external or a slave or even a primary, depending on what he chooses to do.

15. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I agree 110%!!

Regards,
    bill :)

16. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Again, I agree with a lot of what was posted above.

I'm providing a link for an alternative you might try, because this will save you some time and money, and will ensure that everything you put in will work. You'll also be able to use some of the components in your existing box.

Check out this link and you'll see what I mean!

AMD all the way! ;)

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3596844

17. root

root Registered Member

Although I'm not an AMD user, that does look like a pretty good alternative.
    A little shopping around for memory at Crucial, New Egg, and a few others, should be able to keep the price down.
    Didn't notice anything on a power supply. Did I miss it? I would think the case came with a power supply.

18. bigc73542

Douglas these gentlemen that are giving you advice are very knowledgable people and I don't believe you could go wrong considering their advice. In the long run or even possibly the short, buying a pre assembled brand name might not be a bad idea. I have built quite a few computers for my self and my customers but this last time I bought a pre built because they are starting to give you a pretty good comp for the money anymore. Which ever direction that you decide to go good luck.

:)surf safe :)

19. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hi all :),

Well, I certainly am leaning to buying a pre-assembled one now.
    I just want to figure out the cheapest alternative without me ruining all the hardware I might buy.
    If I go JimITs route, I hope you all don't mind giving me step by step instructions ( in other words, spoon-feeding me).
    You guys are great!

Regards,
    Douglas

20. bigc73542

That is what we are here for. Besides having a good time :D

21. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Yes! And the great thing is, it's all guaranteed to work together.

Whatever you choose--as BigC said, it'll be fun helping out.

;)

22. root

root Registered Member

If you want to go with what Jim suggested, you would need to call and ask them about the tower/power supply. Also will need to know about the video. Basically need to ask them what exactly you will need to buy extra to get it up and running. I have learned to never "assume" anything.
    Also you might need an AGP video card. I think I have an old one in an old computer that is stored in a box. It also might have a soundblaster card, and I have an extra set of speakers I could send you. If you want me to look, let me know. Don't mind trying to help where I can.
    I really don't know what you might run into using your old floppy drive and CD/Burner if you have one. Probably will still work, but questions need to be asked before you spend your hard earned cash.
    I try to be very cautious when helping others spend their money. :D

EDIT: Looks like Jim was posting as I was. Good Morning to you all.

23. root

root Registered Member

Douglas, you might try the Dell refurbished outlet.
    You can change the search parameters at the top of the page to narrow down the choices. This is a good place to get some of their higher end computers with more memory at a better price.
    I bought one here once and it is now my backup computer. They come with a warranty and tech support.
    Good place to check everyday to see what shows up. The good ones disappear fast.

24. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Which makes it more fun for me, too, knowing I'm getting good help.

I wish my wife would say that! :eek:

I've decided to do what JimIT suggested in about 3 weeks as long as nothing unexpected comes up.
    And I will follow your advice root about asking them everything. I sometimes feel foolish asking the most simple questions, but I can only hope they show me the same patience you all have shown me.
    And root, I'm overwhelmed by your offer. It's hard to know what to say to such generosity. But if I've been blessed with a little extra cash, I can only say that you should give it to someone who has none.
    Wow, how much better can it be?

Best regards,
    Douglas

25. Douglas

Douglas Guest

I just saw your post about Dell, root. So I'm going to go look.
    I may change my mind again!

Thanks,
    Douglas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.