need advice on backup solution

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by kcvale, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

I'm trying to decide on the best backup solutions for a windows xp and a windows vista premium computer.
    I recently had a hard drive crash and was able to save my info but had to reinstall everything. So I've once again vowed to faithfully backup my systems.
    So, I looked around and realized that I already have True Image 8 (which I used on a Windows Me system and could never make work) and TI9 and Ghost 14- which I've never used. I bought TI9 because I read it was a fairly stable release but never got around to installing it & Ghost came with NIS9

I can also get the current version of TI for $25 if I buy it by tomorrow.

If it were a perfect world I would buy Rollback-- I was an avid GoBack fan back in the day! But money is an object. So I need a less expensive solution. I am not a computer whiz so it also needs to be simple.

Any suggestions on my best option?

Thanks,
    kay

2. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Drive snapshot or Image for windows.pls search

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I use True Image and find it to be excellent, the latest version has worked flawlessly (as have previous ones) for me (make sure you make an emergency boot disk - just follow the wizards instructions - very easy to do). I use it to image my PC to an external drive. Norton has messed with GoBack and I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole so I have been researching alternatives and have just settled on RollBack Rx. It seems to be widely used and liked on these forums but there is one issue you should be aware of and that is you cannot use a 3rd party defrag with RollBack installed on your PC. See the following threads for more on this issue (and others) regarding RollBack.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=228226

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=229379

I hope this helps

4. kcvale

kcvale Registered Member

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm not familiar with Drive Snapshot or Image. I'll check it out.
    My Vista computer is a new HP. I thought I read something about True Image and new computer drivers. But I can't find it now. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do you think it will be a problem? As I said, I'm not a computer wiz. I can just about manage to follow simple directions -- on a good day :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.