Need Action Plan for Sasser Removal Plus More

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by jvickers01, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvickers01

jvickers01 Registered Member

HELP!! I need an action plan for cleaning up my friend's computer. It's a bit challenging because she's not very computer savvy, she's several hundred miles away, she's on an older computer (it has a Cyrix MII), and to top it off she has dial-up. She's running on Windows XP.

I'm pretty sure she's got Sasser. Her system automatically reboots after displaying a message referring to C:Windows/System32/lsass.exe. She can briefly access the internet, but after a couple minutes she just gets the "Cannot find server or DNS Error". When you do a manual restart, a couple of programs don't shut down properly, namely HPCMPMGR.exe and explorer.exe. She also gets an LSA Shell error.

Since the file transfer rate on her dial-up is appalling at best, I want to be able to download directly to a floppy anything she'll need and send it to her, and it can't be anything I can't at least talk her through installing. I also need an antivirus recommendation. NAV won't install due to the Cyrix processor.

Any help/advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

go here to get stinger, sasser removal tool, will fit on floppy. stinger it is about 780kb. It is a good removal tool.

you might want to send her this small tool that works well. Windows worm door cleaner at this link it is about 54 kb

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.