Need A Simple Remote Access Program As A Tech

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I work as a PC Tech and remote access is not something I have really been into, but thinking now I should move out into it for working on systems for customers.

I'm talking about Home users, cleaning Windows, or dealing with whatever end-user problems typically occur on Windows for the Home user...

I want to use something as simple as TeamViewer, nothing to install, hardly anything for the end-user to do and, 1-2-3 all done, connected and working.

I used TewmViewer once to clean a customers computer with the free version, it worked really great and never disconnected after 6 hours online with it.

CrossLoop wouldn't work for me, so forget that and for some reason Zolved wouldn't work for me either, would start then stop, so forget both of these.

Does anyone know of any other programs that are as simple and don't need to install like TeamViewer a Tech could rely on for his work to do a good job with?

THANKS

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Why not just use TeamViewer? As you mentioned it's really good and free. I have the portable version on my flash.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Check out Ammyy Admin
    They have licenses with monthly subscription ($19 for 1 business pc) or lifetime ($380 for 1 business pc).

Panagiotis

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Free for non-commerical use... :D

Money, who has money? LOL...

I need a free program...

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how about ultravnc?
    the part of the webpage is pointed to is the single click version.
    your client clicks on that file and you control the computer. doesnt install anything.

its free under the GPL license.

6. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ammyy says on their forum that you can only use it 15 hours a month...

http://forum.ammyy.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=341

Well I'm not going to bother with that then... :thumbd:

I said I was looking for something 'Simple' like TeamViewer...

UltraVNC SC isn't as simple as I'd like, to much mucking around each time, you have to make a server, to much BS... :(

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What about Symantec PC Anywhere?

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey,
    I agree on both points.
    I am looking for the same type of software as you are to support my clients.

there is some products such as remotezilla which do technican licenses. you can support unlimited customers with that license and its a one off fee.

would be nice if we could find a free product which offers the ease of use of teamviewer but not sure if we can. ill keep looking.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I wish TeamViewer would offer something inexpensive in the way of pricing for the individual tech.

I mean what the HECK is with that $699 price tag, my GOSH that's crazy! :thumbd:

Also what is with all this needing to connect through companies servers to access this service? There is no need for this, all someone needs is a client/server piece of software so you can access a computer. What no one has heard of a trojan before out there? LOL...

All we really need is for someone to code a trojan like program for having remote access, but that of course is not malicious, just being used as a remote admin tool... That's why the most popular trojan Sub7 and others like it are known as a RAT (Remote Administrative Tool).

All this thinking that there needs to be a server or service to make this all happen is nonsense. So I don't know how TeamViewer works, but is the program the client and server all in one, making a direct connection?

All these companies I see out there charging a monthly fee for something like this is a rip off, like I said, all you need is a client/server piece of software to make a direct connection.

10. Azuredevil

Azuredevil Registered Member

The reason you pay to connect through the company servers with programs like Teamviewer, Logmein, and GotoAssist Express are to make things easier.

They provide mediation and NAT traversal for the connection so you don't have to open ports on a router or firewall to connect, just try doing that over the phone with your average end-user.

They also make it much easier if the person you're connecting to doesn't have a static IP, otherwise you'd have to find their IP every time you want to connect unless you setup some sort of dynamic DNS, like DynDNS or No-IP.

I'm not aware of any free services that offer the simplicity or the "no install" features of Teamviewer/Logmein Rescue/GotoAssist Express, they're charging for that convenience.

11. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

So, you want a Remote Access program for "commercial use" and it has to be a freeware too? You will find it very difficult to locate such a software. Most freewares are only free for non-commercial use only.

I will point out a software that I have used occasionally, though it does not meet your "freeware" and "no install" requirements, and that is DameWare Mini Remote Control.

DameWare MRC is licensed to an individual, not a computer. So, if you are a license holder you can use it on any computer. The client module is free, so with a single license you can have more than a million clients. A single user license is $90.

The good thing I like about it is that you can generate a small installer for the client which is less than 1 mb in size. You send that installer to your client and have them install it on their computer. Then in order to bypass the usual NAT, Firewall, Port forwarding problems associated with remote connection, you have your client initiate a connection to you (assuming you yourself have solved all the NAT issues at your end). This approach makes it very simple for your client.

Now, I have not purchased this software, I only trialed it to remotely connect to my parent's PC. But it seemed very user friendly, easy to install for my (non-tech)parents and had a easy going license policy. I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  12. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Azuredevil, I just noticed that this was only your "3rd post" since June 2004!! At this rate you will set some sort of a record in 10 years time.....:D

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I always thought that if you just had a smaller server app on the remote machine and a client on the host, you can simply make a direct connection and if a firewall was running of any kind, when it saw the inbound connection, you simply allowed it and everything would be working fine.

14. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Not always as simple as that...

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

for personal use, how exactly do u use TeamViewer?

i installed it onto my computer and i want to access my friends computer to help him with something, how do i do that exactly?

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

they download team viewer and it gives you two codes one for username and one for password.

your friend tells you the username and password you type it in to your teamviewer viewer and your connected to your friends computer.

btw youdont need to install anything. there is a portable version of the teamviewer viewer software.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  17. firzen771

ah ok and vice versa for him to get access to mine? (i give him my code and such and he types it in and ready). ok sounds simple enuff, and its okay if he just selects the "run" option instead of install right? it will work fine by just choosing run on his side?

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. TeamViewer Portable, courtesy of PortableApps.com.

19. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    There's a ton of them out there now. I still use GoToMeeting...49 bucks per month, works well.
    There's a neat one you can build on your own server, called Echogent. Based on a thin version of UltraVNC SC.

Also look up Ultra VNC SC (single click)..it's different from their regular version, doesn't require messing with firewall or finding WAN IP addresses.

And a few others..note that Teamviewer will start cutting your sessions short with the free version...after a month or so of using it heavily.

Teamviewer.com
    Crossloop.com
    Showmypc.com
    Advantig One Click
    logmein and especially logmein rescue (remote reboot into safe mode)
    gotoassist
    gotomeeting
    simple-help
    helpdeskvnc.com
    gidsoftware
    beam2support
    BeAnywhere
    InstantHousecall

20. firzen771

what wuld be the diff between this portable version and just selecting the just "run" option when u launch the regular teamviewer setup?

21. Durad

Durad Registered Member

SC or SingleClick is interesting. Few months ago it did not work well on Vista, now they claim it works with Vista and Win7.

Basically you create your logo, background and message for end user, than compile over the internet to create EXE.

Customer click on it and it automatically connect to your VNC with preconfigured IP. Encryption is also available.

Bad sides are that some antivirus programs detect it as trojan :(

I think that TeamViewer is good investment.

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

firzen771, in actuality, no difference that I can see upon launch, except my own preference of not having a program write to the Registry, should it ever try to do so. I know that the PortableApps format minimizes those instances, besides not leaving Temp files behind, although its portability is not stealth by any means.

According to the Readme.txt file that accompanies this portable version, it states: "This is a complete TeamViewer supporter module that can be directly started without installation (e.g. from an USB stick). Settings are not saved to registry." And that's music to my ears! :)

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

So anyone know if there is, or no?

I tired Showmypc and Crossloop, wasn't impressed with either one, but I gave them a goo about 2-3 months ago, so not sure if there has been an update since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.