Need a new External Drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Antarctica, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Very easy to assemble.

All data backed up to two other locals - another h/drive and USB stick. System images (Windows and Linux) backed up to two locals as well. Warranty on the Seagate is not the best; three years, so I could have forked out $50 extra for the 1 tera WD Black with a 5 year warranty. Alright, so I look at cost association of $/years warranty + disk capacity and the Seagate wins in this area. Also, if you consider a disk's life is based largely on near daily use, spinning several hrs/day, well, the Seagate will be active only when I need to backup/recover up data to/from it, which means it's active maybe 1-2 hrs/week max, so I have to figure I'm going to get some serious years out of it before it dies, and by then I'm probably on different hardware, different O/S', therefore different images altogether, so the images I currently have backed up and the ones I create in the next couple years are likely redundant anyway. Hope this makes sense :p

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Just slip the drive into the case, the case is built to take the drive (correct size of course). Then plug the cable(s) in to the drive and the PC, format the drive, and you are good to go. If you have never formated a new drive there are lots of how toos on the net. Google will provide a list of these.

3. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I'll think I'll give that a try.

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

If I can do it, you can do it !

Here is a links page from a Google search "how to install a hard drive into an external enclosure" to give you some visual idea as to how easy it is.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how ...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Basically, all you need to do is ;

-Select the hard drive that will offer the amount of storage space you need. My rule of thumb is to buy a hard drive that has double the capacity of what you think you will need initially.

-Select the external enclosure that has the proper internal interface (SATA, IDE, etc.) and will accomodate the physical size (2.5" or 3.5") of the hard drive you have selected.

-Also assure that the external enclosure has the external interface you intend to use for connecting to your computer (SATA, eSATA, USB, 1344, etc).

- And to be sure that the backup/imaging program you intend to use will provide for any and every type of backup you will want to do, be it full, incremental, differential, and/or just files and folders and is fully compatible with the most current operating system you will use.
    I would add that your choice should definitely offer the option to restore from rescue media; CD/DVD/USB.

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Here is a youtube video, sort of a promo, for the enclosure that firzen mentioned earlier. Gives you a good idea about what the thing is like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecCmaorR02s

Here is an instruction video (without audio), with another but similar enclosure, and it shows you exactly how to put the setup together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW_Hnc0qULw&feature=related

The process is very simple, but in response to an earlier comment, I am 110% sure that a monkey or a blonde can not do it.

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Well, I would suggest you just might be wrong about that,,,,,,,,given an infinite number of monkeys, and an infinite amount of time, at least one of the monkeys is sure to be able to do it......

No comment about the blonds though as its politically incorrect to disparage the handicapped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.