Need a little help here!!!

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by allexif, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allexif

allexif Registered Member

Hello! I need to find out how to put a password on my computer (something like the logon password) to deny my friends of logging in my windows XP Home Edition computer. I need some program (free or not) to block my windows without a posibillity of breaking into it. Sorry for my bad english. (I heared that the account password protection from windows xp is easily breakable, weak and I need something better and harder to brake). Thanks!!! :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If your friends are tech savy you are going to need to deny access to the computer. Either that or use disk encryption which carries it's own risk.

I would also comment if you have to worry about your friends, the I personally wouldn't call them friends.

Pete

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Set a password to the admin account (which has no password by default) and unless your "friends" are experts, that's pretty much all you need.

4. Peter2150

Not sure I would call myself an expert, but with a few readily available tools, that password was a non issue getting into a machine, I needed to get into.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I've tested this on my own computer and it is not very diffcult with easy passwords however if you use a longer passwords with a large chatacter set, it is a lot more time consuming.

6. Peter2150

The tool I used didn't crack the password. You booted to a CD, and just following a few steps changed the password to what you wanted. Didn't need the one in place. Once done I booted to safe mode, logged in the Admin account, and from there owned the machine.

All over it took about 8 minutes.

Pete

PS For anyone curious, the machine belong to a church and all the parties who had set it up were gone. Nothing sinister.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.