Need a free AV for mom's computer.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by innerpeace, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunyip783

bunyip783 Registered Member

Major issue for me as well. One and only reason I stay away from it for friends, family, etc. Any ideas if they plan to change this soon? You seem pretty tight with those guys.

2. explanoit

explanoit Registered Member

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This was a couple of years ago or more so it is a possibility that this has been redressed now. I may look at Panda Cloud Free again some day. Meanwhile MSE does the job perfectly well.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This seems to be about right. Fp's can be destructive & I'd rather have an AV that I can trust. MSE falls into that category easily.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  5. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

6. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

RejZoR, dude, I agree 100%. I've had several people who I know that have gone unregistered already.

I'm like a lot of people around these security forums who happen to fix the messes created, then secure the systems of all of the regular computer users out there like family, friends, friends of family and so on.

Those regular computer users come in two varieties: The ones who are click-happy on everything and install all sorts of junk and everything under the sun, and the ones who are paranoid and afraid to click on anything because they had already got bitten by the click-happy bug and learned not to trust anything on computers.

And the result: Unregistered and lacking protection. Unfortunately these type of regular computer users happen to be the majority. And this just sets them up for failure and means that I have to receive more phone calls and fix computers that otherwise shouldn't need to be fixed again.

Needless to say, I haven't been able to promote avast! for a little while now. I used to recommend it to anyone in the past for several years.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sadly this is also why i no longer install avast free on anyone's pc. because i know in the back of my mind if they dont answer the thing and renew the "free" version for another year they remain unprotected. i love the program and still do recc it highly when asked about the paid version but to many people think the free one you just install and forget but then when you dont register its useless to them.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yesterday i was setting up a laptop for my cousin and guess what i had to install. Panda Cloud. At the moment it is the best compromise you can have. It scores very well in all latest tests, it's quite light, simple, auto updates itself and doesn't require registration. As much as i like avast!, they just don't make certain things right and they especially don't make them right for situations where you can't check the system all the time to see how it's running.

Remote control and avast! My Devices are not the answer because you need user confirmation for remote control and MyDevices, if you connect it to see the status also gives all YOUR info to that user. For example in my case, all the android anti-theft controls and the status of the device. If it's my family computers ok, but i wouldn't use this on any other computer. So, in the end it still requires stupid registration every year and no matter how much they try to simplify the process it ALWAYS confuses users. And that just isn't cool.

Besides, i just don't get the meaning of re-registration of something that is free. In the past it used to be excuse for statistics collection, but these days, i see no point, because there are other means to do that (Streaming Updates).

Or at least, i don't know, if user creates MyAvast! acount and ties it to the avast!, do the re-registration of free version automatically and only bother users without avast! account about the re-registration (so they have to do it manually). Or something, just not the current way.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

....and very bad in performance.

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=10&sort=1
    http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart4&year=2013&month=5&sort=1

10. anon

anon Registered Member

=
    ----------------------------
    Windows 8.1 32-bit & Avira Antivirus Suite (2014):
    It takes 17.5+10 (Web Protection) =27.5MB, 5 processes, no toolbar.
    http://i3.minus.com/ibtyhyKLmlZAiN.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Unthreat free(vipre) sits at less than 5 mb on win7.

12. ance

ance formerly: fmon

I wish Forti would be as light as ESET. :D

Why don't you speak with the Avast team? As far as I know you're an Avast moderator. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.