Need a antivirus as soon as poss!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mrapoc, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrapoc

mrapoc Registered Member

Hey guys

Heres my story

I did have an eset nod32 license for two years but it ran out last week or so. I left it..didnt bother renewing as in my opinion it really has gone downhill. Detection rates etc.

So im now running "bareback" with no AV and performance is how I want/need it. That brings me to my next problem, I hate AVs that slow your pc down - which is what NOD32 started doing.

So im after an AV that actually catches the nasties (before and after infection) plus runs without slowing my pc down

Thanks guys

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

Although I'll be out of this topic , I suggest you subscibe to VirusBulletin magazine and start reading the detailed reports . I am sure you'll be surprised to see the File-access lag graphics .

ESET have made a pic even though it doesn't represent all the details:
    http://www.eset.com/images/FileAccessLagTimeNew.jpg

In short , legitimate professional tests (+my own practise but it really doesn't matter) show that NOD32 remains one of the fastest and lightest (if not the fastest) product in real-time scanning (including the latest two tests of VB and other organisations .

You feel it slows down you machine , I am sure there is a non-ESET reason for this which you'll find afterwards some time ...

As for detection downhill ... I deal with malware and infected machines almost daily and what NOD32 have missed/misses is mostly peace of junk . ESET still keeps the balance between real detection and zero false positive while some other products do not care of some FPs. ESET heuristics can also be adjusted so that they cath 99.999% of the malware however the number of FPs you'll see will immediately grow from zero to some other number . All AVs miss malware even these that seem to provide real tought , complex protection .

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Avira got one of the highest detection rates and is very light.

4. mrapoc

mrapoc Registered Member

thanks guys

Well I did try eset on both default and blackspear settings. It doesnt seem to bother with spyware or similiar at all!

Was I wrong in turning on "check for unwanted programs" if i wanted a very light av? 2.7 was perfect for me - but that now lacks in detection as its old tech.

I have tried kapersky and that was horrific in terms of lag. Norton shall probably never touch my system again. I dont believe in free avs. Avira was "ok" but still eset felt better.

Is eset going to be bringing out a major release soon? 4.0?

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

mrapoc, Avira is maybe the lightest and the best in detection rates today.
    Give it a try and you won't be disappointed. ;)

6. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I would highly recommend Avira. But, there are a lot of others; trial them and see which works best for you.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what version of kaspersky have you tryed?
    versions up to 7 where quite heavy. but 2009 line was completely rewritten and is alot lighter.

also try vipre from sunbelt software link

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've read that NOD32 is ineffective against spyware (not sure where trojans fit in here), so you'd need somthing else if you want to deal with spyware.

Many possible options, programs, settings, configurations (hardware/software), how well they work on your system can often be seemingly random.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb :)

But isn't this just a 'tell me your av' thread?

Vipre and drweb are 2 very light av's that I own.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, pretty much...

Basically, this is just a version of "what AV is lightest and best?"

There are so many threads in this section that describe light anti-viruses and those with high detection, that a basic scanning through this section will give you plenty of information.

Thread closed based upon this policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.