Need a anti-keylogger

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by cba321, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Spycop Scan Complete: You are 75% safe

LOL

2. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

Yeah the trial left a lot to be desired. The full product does seem to get a real evil brand of spyware (commercial keyloggers) that everyone else is afraid to confront though.

3. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

So if it wasnt for the certification, even if you had accidentally allowed installation of spector pro, Zemana would have prevented spector from working? Is this right?

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

How did you know that you had a keylogger in the first place? Did you ask them how they found it?

5. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

My Spy Sweeper (with antivirus) detected the "Spector Pro" keylogger last year under the file ztvunrar3.dll. SS removed the file, and I thought nothing of it. However after a little research later on (dont ask why I went back to it, it sort of just occured to me one day) I figured out just how bad this Spector was. I figured it (or something like it) would be a lot harder to remove than I was capable of.

So I told my dad to wipe the computer, but the geek squad convinced him to do their "malware cleaner" option instead. The GS are apparently secretive (and expensive) so they wouldnt tell my dad how they did it. All they told my dad (I haven't seen the report yet as I'm at college) is they found and removed 2 trojans and a keylogger. When I go home and see the report I'll let you know exactly what these where.

6. caspian

If they refused to give any information about it, I would be suspicious that they were just doing that to be perceived as being more valuable than what they really are. Just my opinion. But I am glad that you do not have it anymore. I wonder how it got there?

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It would be ideal if they provided some logs or screen shots showing whatever security app they use catching the malware. They really should be willing to share some degree of detail with the person paying for the service.

However, they might not be accustomed to sharing details of the repair with the computer owner simply because a lot of the folks who use Geek Squad probably wouldn't want to know or wouldn't understand the answer. :)

8. caspian

So then I assume that Hitman Pro 3 would pick it up.

9. caspian

How would you even know that they didn't just make it up so you would *think* that they saved the day?

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well the OP said that his or her parents' computer had big problems, so a trojan or two and a keylogger don't sound too fabricated. And as I noted, a screen capture and some program logs would be good documentation. But if you're asking me, "How would you even know that they didn't just make it up?", I wouldn't have had them there in the first place... or I would have been glued to the guy's shoulder like a Siamese twin the whole time he was in the same room with my box. :cool:

11. cba321

cba321 Registered Member

You think they would do that? I guess its possible

12. a320ca

a320ca Registered Member

I wrote Zemana support about this and here is their reply...

"Thanks for your interest in our products.

If AntiLogger already installed prior to Spector Pro installation, it will alert and block it. Otherwise it does not detect at all. But AntiLogger 2.0 will able to stop legal keyloggers even after installed keyloggers."

BTW, Zemana AntiLogger 2.0 due out June '09.

13. caspian

I understand that Zemana did not stop Spector Pro from being installed. HOWEVER, was Spector Pro able to collect keystrokes? Or was it only collecting encrypted keystrokes? Was Zemana doing the job that it was created for?

From what I understand, it's primary function is similar to that of Keyscrambler. It is suppose to encrypt the keystrokes so that an already installed keylogger cannot see what you are typing. I have Keyscrambler Premium. It even works with truecrypt. However, it doesn't block screenshots. But Zemana is suppose to be able to take care of those.

But anyway, what would matter to me is if Zemana was encrypting the keystrokes to defeat the keylogger.

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Very, very good points. Even if it allowed the installation, did it encrypt the keystrokes? Maybe he'll come back and let us know. Again, good point considering that's what Zemana is for.

15. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Zemana prompted me during the installation of spector pro, so no It didn't allow the installation, it asked me for permission!

I made it very clear to Zemana support about this issue, and I made it public on this forum how Zemana failed miserably against Spector Pro, This is why their working to fix these issues as they said their 2.0 version will Stop all known legal keyloggers!

PS: I also wrote Keyscrambler an email requesting support for Gpgforwin, PGP, and Axcrypt, I hope they read it, I brought up the subject for truecrypt and keypass and then they added support for those, I'm just waiting to see if they add the others soon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.