NAV2009 Definitions Refused To Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by demoneye, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

just trial nav2009 and u run live update , all update except of, the DEFINITIONS .....

its always show a red cross coz of that in the tray icon ...also when i run live update its always mark the "protection updates" with red cross X

anyone got any idea whats wron in here?

i add a screen shot to clearfy the error msg maybe more

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9648/ddddms0.jpg

10x

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I am using NIS2009, no issue here. Could you put up a full screenshot, can't quite see the whole.

Best to troubleshoot:
    *Check subscription status
    *Check Recent History (NAV2009) for any errors
    *Use the most powerful weapon on Earth .... Reboot Windows !!
    *Update signatures manually: http://www.symantec.com/business/security_response/definitions.jsp

3. demoneye

10x alot for reply mate
    "*Check Recent History (NAV2009) for any errors,*Check subscription status" welp its fresh install so its not the isue
    i did *Use the most powerful weapon on Earth .... Reboot Windows !!"

nothing helps....its doesnt even give me the date of curent signatures...even it cant update.... i will take a screen shoot to clearfy this

4. demoneye

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Another thing you might want to try is the good old uninstall/reinstall. Maybe something was corrupted during the install process.

6. demoneye

10x alot Graystoke for reply

i did use a clean image and install it couple of time in clean , never installed sysytem and the sig are like show in pic.....got no cluse what is this

cheers

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  7. vijayind

8. demoneye

i already d/l and install the definitions from norton site and its says all went ok but the probleme remain :(
    i install avira and the update work nice and easy.... so its look like some bug maybe or incompitable matter with my system...wierd

ps maybe i didnt mention it much , but live update works.... it update what ever he find (not the definitions) than he ask for restart pc ..... when pc back after restart i press FIX coz "definitions are out of date" popup appear..and there he faild ... i will attach some pic

ok

when press the fix it.....after live update intall update and i restart pc thats what appen

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1819/ee2zg2.jpg

after i press OK (its live update window btw) thats what append

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff2qh3.jpg

anyone got idea?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  9. vijayind

The Norton Intelligent Updater (Manual Updater) overwrites existing NAV files. So if it says OK, then it should have successfully overwritten contents of installed NAV package.

Strange very strange ... I guess your install is corrupted. Else I suggest you use Norton One-Click Support ( In main GUI Help > One-click Support ).

10. demoneye

10x alot for the help mate, installer is ok ....test it on other pc i have and its works include all....

i did submit help request about this...maybe coz i run XP Sp3?? the other is Sp2 ?? realy hard to tell :(

u run EAZFIX and the error is on the protection update....maybe its conflict with EAZ FIX 8.1o_O
    anyone try to install them both ?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  11. vijayind

I have testing NIS 2009 on XP-SP3. No issues...
    So I am guessing it may be due to EAZ Fix or First Defense that you may be using. I used neither ...

12. demoneye

i test it in on other pc running fdisr xp sp2 its run fine...i subimt support ticket in eaz fix support ... they test it and its not eaz fix probleme.....damnn wierdd :(

13. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi demoneye,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

It appears that this problem is related to either and error in installation of Norton AntiVirus 2009 or a possible software conflict. Make sure that you do not have any other active antivirus applications installed, as they can cause conflicts with Norton.

The easiest way to resolve this issue is to properly remove and reinstall Norton AntiVirus.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and instructions

2. After you run the tool, restart your computer .Log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Follow the instructions on the following page to re-download the latest installer for Norton AntiVirus 2009.

Re Download Norton Products

4. Run the installation (which should take no more than a minute or two) and then launch Norton AntiVirus. Click on "Run LiveUpdate." After the initial , manual run of LiveUpdate the new "pulse updates" feature will take over and your definition updates will be automatically updated in the background every 5-15 minutes, as long as you are connected to the internet.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
    Mike

14. tiinkka

tiinkka Registered Member

I also found it difficult to update earlier today .
    when I booted up I checked after a few minutes how recent the last update was. When it stated over a day ago I ran live update .
    The splash screen for live update showed 2.2 mb update there waiting to download and it stopped prior to finishing four times . on the fifth attempt the required update size was down to less than 1 mb and finally the process updates installed properly and gave me the green logo .
    Im not overly concerned that this occurred but it was annoying and if it recurs often enough that opinion might change. What I would like to say is how great it is to see a support person actually out there looking for problems to assist with . Kudos to you guys .

15. demoneye

10x alot mike for reply on this wierd isue...hope u can soved the strange problem

first this system of mine never had nav2009 on it...when i reinstall it , it was on a clean image never have any nav2009 on it...

i test nav2009 also on clean <almost> windows...and its same...when he try to update "live update" its ok , all updated but not the "protection updates" its faild....i provide her all the error pic it gave me...

i run EAZ FIX on this pc ... i submit a help ticket in eaz support, they check it and says its nothing to do with eaz fix...

this is the error http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ff2qh3.jpg

when the update append both screen opend the one in the pic above and the live update (which find nothing to update since he already update system) > http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/1819/ee2zg2.jpg

now...when i close the lower windows in the sec pic i post here .... the first pic popup gave the RED cross
    if i leave its to finish...it can take for ever...nothing change or progres

i am realy dont know what 2 do... never encore such conflict...i am sure its problem with nav2009 "protection updates" coz on my clean image i checking all programs and NEVER got any software conflict or what ever problem (clean windows)

cheers

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  16. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

hmm.. maybe you should check your system date/year...

17. demoneye

i read symantec help desk and yes , i saw such a remark , anyway my date and hour is ok ...

10x for the remark mate...its realy hard 2 find such a maybe conlict (date/time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.