NAV subscription about to expire - which AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Morpheus, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

Hello folks,
    My NAV subscription will expire early next month and I'm thinking of changing AV's.
    The main reason is that I have read a lot of posts on here and in the grc.com newsgroups
    which seem to highly rate NOD32 and KAV and looking at the VB awards NOD32 has an exceptional track record. Also both of these are reportedly easier on system resources than NAV.

Which of these would you recommend and are there any known problems in using either of these with TDS-3 or Sygate Personal Firewall (Free) under WinXP Pro SP1.

Thanks,

Morpheus

System Specs:
    Athlon XP 2000+
    512MB DDR RAM
    Asus A7V333-R
    WinXP Pro SP1
    TDS-3
    Sysgate Personal Firewall 5.1 build 1615

2. crazykidjoe

crazykidjoe Registered Member

Morpheus, I'm not expert, but you won't go wrong with NOD32 or KAV. You may want to use NOD32 as your main AV and use KAV as your on demand scanner. KAV has better unpackers and is better at catching Trojans. If you decide on NOD32, you'll still want to use TDS-3. I am using KAV as my main AV and AVK as my on demand scanner. I do own licences for NOD32 and McAfee also. AV companies love me..LOL..I can't wait until KAV 5 comes out. Good luck in your search. Some of the pro's will be along to give you some more advice soon..c

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

As suggested either one would be a very good AV choice, particularly as you have an AT program to backup NOD.

Depending upon the age of your system, NOD may be a little lighter on resources than KAV.

I would suggest that you download trial copies of each AV to see which one you like and which one is the most compatible with your software and hardware.

Both have good support forums; NOD here at Wilders and KAV here;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

4. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

I, personally, run AVAST! 4.0 Home - www.asw.cz (there is English ersion of the page also, but I dont remember the link, it is there somewhere), I run it for a year - and only ONE virus made it through AVAST! to my computer - it was that Blaster bastard a few days ago...

And I think the Blaster infection was not the Avast failure - cos as all of us know - the virus is ALWAYS one step before the antivirus - the virus MUST attack someone before the antivirus companies can catch it and update the databases of their AV programs... and as IGI from www.viry.cz (the best Czech page about viruses and how to fight them and so on...) wrote in the VERY FAST added article at his page - when he published the article - 12th August 0:25 AM or sth like that - MOST OF THE AV PROGRAMS were not able to detect Blaster, cos that bastard started his rampage a few hours ago - my comp was infected about 11th Aug 21:45 I think...

And the Alwil company - the company that runs and owns Avast! did a quick database update, so the AV was able to detect the bastard very fast...

So - I run Avast! home edition for a year now and have no complaints :) It is freeware for home use - the Alwil company runs a Home edition freeware for home use - and Professional edition for the companies...

Why freeware? They claim that the best action against viruses is a good AV program for everybody - and that if somebody dont want some paid AV program or they cant afford it (or dont want to afford it), they should be able to use some good freeware... and they have a point :)

They of course mean the free home edition as the advertising of the Pro edition (no banners or something), they just know that somebody can use the Home edition, be satisfied by it and buy the Pro version for his computer, or for his company or whatever :)

So - I use Avast and I am satisfied by it :)

5. Morpheus

Thanks,

I'll try NOD32's demo first and see how it feels as it seems to be
    doing better in the tests than KAV recently. If I like it I might stop there or try KAV before making my final decision. I have AVAST 4 running on my third PC which I setup for my Dad. It seems to work fine but fpr my main machine where I do most of my shopping etc. I like to know that it is very well protected and the Free AV's always fair less well than their commercial counterparts in tests.

cheers,

Morpheus

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

is there an English pager for this site ? o_O

7. VAN WILDER

VAN WILDER Registered Member

Anything with a KAV engine :D

8. Morpheus

FYI,

After trying the demos I am 99% certain I will be going with KAV 4.5 Personal.
    NOD32 was amazingly fast and lightweight and a breeze to setup but
    I feel a bit happier with outbound mail protection and script checking plus the
    unpacking support is a bonus. Also I've had no problems with it running alongside
    TDS-3, Sygate or anything else. The only issue I had was resolved by changing one of the settings, it is very configurable but the interface is not as obvious as one might expect at times.

Thanks for your help,

Morpheus

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Outbound mail protection is just another marketing hype which does not add real additional security. So how should a scanner detect a malicious worm in the outgoing mail if it has already failed to detect it while infecting your PC (incoming)?

wizard

10. Morpheus

Because in the meantime your defs were updated as an example of a possible scenario.
    I agree that it should catch it on the way in before it has a chance to infect your PC or even just be forwarded by you however a lot of things related to choice of AV comes down to faith and confidence in the product that at the crucial moment it will catch something.

Morpheus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.