NAV Rescue Disk problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FanJ, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Guest

It looks like that NAV Rescue Disk is not working after the latest virus-definitions update.
    This seems only to be the case if you use floppies for it, and not if you use a ZIP-disk.
    The problem seems to be that after the latest virus-definitions update, the whole number doesn't fit onto the right number of floppies. And if you try it, it could cause your registry be somehow corrupted.
    So in case you would try to make Rescue Disks, make absolutely sure that you have backed up your registry before you are trying to make Rescue Disks.

Sorry, I cannot confirm this from own experience, but I thought it better to place a warning here.

I guess we have to wait for some confirmation and solution by Symantec.

I read the story here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,2939730~root=security,1~mode=flat

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

The above mentioned page from Symantec was Last Modified: 04/12/2002

Read further on the above mentioned Symantec-link.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

The Symantec page was Last Modified: 04/22/2002

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/7e7f15291a25d938882567e50048a048/c20907e0df92b8a888256ad200716ad1?OpenDocument

At DSLR Security Forum:

NAV LU Has Fix For Rescue Disk
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3676338~root=security,1~mode=flat

I haven’t tried it myself at the moment.

9. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Jan,

I don't get the update. I have on my win98 computer Norton System Works 2000 with Anti Virus 2001 . Also by clicking on rescue and then Live Update I don't get the "fix" patch :mad:

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Marianna,

I'm not sure whether I can check it myself.
    I still have NAV2000 Dutch on my W98SE (maybe next week NAV2002...).
    As far as I have seen, I too didn't get it through LiveUpdate.
    I thought that was maybe because of my Dutch and/or older version at the moment...... At the moment I haven't looked whether there was any news posted by our friends at DSLR.

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Jan,

I did this:

1. Close all open programs, saving your work if necessary.
    2. Open your Symantec program that contains Rescue and run LiveUpdate. When the Welcome to LiveUpdate dialog box appears, click Next.
    3. When the list of available updates appears, just click Next. Do not uncheck any of the available updates. The list will look similar to the following illustration.

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2001080614052813?Open&src=w

I get: Thank you for using Live Update - all of the Symantec products installed on your computer are currently up-to-date.

Guess, I'm "stuck" with 2 disks # 4 :rolleyes:

12. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I have the latest update. Just got it. Now I see there's a problem with it. Just great! I have a question. All my other "rescue" disks are CD's. Why are Symantec's on floppies? I have a floppy drive, but I never use it. Can Symantec's Rescue Disk be on a CD instead? It would solve the problem of two disks in one, wouldn't it? I mean, floppies are so small! o_O

13. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Prince,

as far as I can see in the "rescue" program you can either use Norton Zip Rescue ( you must have a zip drive) or floppies :(

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for your link!
    Quote from there:

So it looks like NAV2000 will not be updated....
    So that seems to be the reason why I haven't seen it on my LiveUpdate.....

BTW: Does NAV 2002 still have the possibility to use Norton ZIP Rescue? Long ago there was an update to fix a problem with the ZIP Rescue for NAV2000 but for some strange reason I was never able to install it properly, even after posting questions about it at the Symantec site.... sigh....

15. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Ja,

I "searched" a bit :)

this is what I've found:

NAV has dropped Zip drive support and doesnt support usb devices or CD RW for its Rescue Set. That last by the way has had major problems since NAV 2000. It currently doesnt know what to do with Anti Virus definitions that are supposed to help a recovery. Service and Support on the problem are non existant. End users are not happy that a major portion of the program fails to work.

http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:X-z8KSjUwA8C:www.cnet.com/software/0-806174-1218-6844862.html+Norton+ZIP+Rescue+in+NAV2002%3F&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

16. Prince_Serendip

Until they get a fix in for this I guess we won't be having a Rescue Disk. And, if their previous track-record is dismal, I'll have to find an alternative. I shall write to Symantec on this. Thanks.

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks for the link and info, Marianna ;)

18. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

You're welcome :cool:

19. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I must be confused but that's nothing new. Anyhow, I used live update and got definitions plus a patch somewhere around 6/28/02. I decided to make a new rescue disk set. I chose "create" rather than update and chose the option to do "total format" on the disks. It seemed to work fine. I ended up with 8 floppies for the rescue set. This was done on 6/28/02. I'm using NAV 2002.

20. Prince_Serendip

Hi Pretender! Go see my Topic, Norton Anti-Virus Rescue Update, in Update Alerts. You got the real-deal! ;)

www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2096

21. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

sometimes i feel like a nut, sometimes i know
    good work prince

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.