NAV...past glory

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nod32_9, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

My computer came with a version of Norton Person Antivirus and Personal Firewall installed and it comes back whenever I do a system recovery, although I should imagine I can get around that.

I had no problems uninstalling it as far as I remember, I know when you go into control panel, instead of clicking remove, you had to press change instead of remove and then you clicked remove within Nortons own installation package.

Jimbob

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Ever notice how bootup time always increases on a pc once "infected" with NAV, even after its removed?
    Dunno why, but only a reformat helps (many times, windows re-installs also help)

3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

HP and Comcrap have a sweetheart deal with Symantec to prebundle NAV. Perhaps that's why they're ranked last in the latest desktop PC satisfaction survey. Emachines came out on top.

Dell is no longer in alliance with Symantec. It takes time to diffuse the Symantec myth (the best in the security business). In 3 years, free AV will be included with windows, just like Adobe Acrobat. The FW and AV are necessary to achieve a functional operating system. Any claim of unfair competition will not stick in court.

4. Jimbob1989

Yep, I have a Compaq Presario. Same for me.

Jimbob

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I did not see any boot issue after removing NAV 2001/2002. Must be the anti-theft thingy in 2004/2005. I didn't spend the time to analyse NAV2004, but I don't believe the user can remove the anti-theft flag by editing the registry.

When folks come to me for advice on the purchase of a new PC, I tell them to look for one that does not come with Norton.

6. Jimbob1989

I live in Sheffield, UK and PC World has a pretty large market share, exclusing the internet. They tend to give you a years worth of Norton Antivirus and Firewall for free.

However they seem to be supporting McAfe e a little more recently. They gave us a years subscription for free when we bough a PC which already had Norton antivirus and firewall person edition installed.

Jimbob

7. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I've noticed that the newer Dell PC's are bundling McAfee AV & FW in the new Dell Security Center (powered by McAfee). But the Privacy Service & AntiSpam (usually included in McAfee Internet Secuity) require additional purchase. I guess it's McAfee's way of trying to gain back some lost market shares and get back in the mainstream.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well latest Norton 2005 wasn't that bad. It even uninstalled without leaving garbage behind (NAV2004 was a real pig). They just have to get rid of their old old very old architecture for good. They are just building on top of old architecture (loads of processes for each new seperate function,LiveUpdate module is also the most hated thing).
    Why don't they take one year to build completely new software from ground up?
    Almost all AV developers make radical changes with each new release.
    Or at least replace majority of the code (interface design can stay for example).
    But i guess they really don't care since their userbase is big and they are constantly getting new newbies that don't complain.
    As we all know NAV engine is far from being bad,but surrounding code stinks (the one which is holding engine up).
    SYMANTEC WAKE UP GOD DAMNIT!!!!

9. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I had to either upgrade or uninstall NAV 2001 as the stopped updates. I changed to NOD and on the first scan it found a Trojan that NAV had missed so I dont think I will ever use NAV again

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Unfortunately one missed trojan doesn't tell so much of certain av's detecting capabilities, that may happen to vice versa as well. When you have missed tens of undetected samples, that may have a clue of something.

PS. Just installing Norton AV 2005 through Total Uninstall, let's hope everything goes well and I can finally add Norton to my last test table.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

System Mechanic 5 uses nice uninstall software feature that can almost completely uninstall any component. You just select programs main folder and program automatically searches for all references to that folder.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

And when free AV is included with Windows AV will be a commodity and the only way for pay ware to compete will be to show and prove that they are superior product. This will be good for consumer but tougher on security companies. This is why so much merger activity recently. Broader product line one stop solution and lower costs. At least that is how it is being played to corporate users. SYMC big company only time will tell. There certainly is lots of room for improvement.

Nod32_9 does Comcrap = Comcast
    :oops: There might be a box maker out there that I am unaware of that you are reffering to. I have a bottom end Emachine no complaints except for CDRW Drive gets hot and acts up upon heavy use. o_O I also have an old Presario 5008 it has been dependable too. CDRW went bad. Got a better one "free" under warranty. Hmmm I wonder what it is with me and CDRW drives? :) ;)

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Comcrap = Compaq

PC vendors don't prebundle FREE AV because they can't make any $ by giving away free software. That's why Microsoft HAS to take the lead on this issue.

Unprotected PCs go unprotected because the users don't know that they have access to FREE firewall and antivirus. Most people don't even know how to install a program. That's why FW and AV must come preloaded at the factory. These proggies should be fully functional for the life of the operating system.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Compaq. Understood. Yes, you are correct I know someone who never knew you had to load the the OEM AV. And another person insists a firewall is not needed and pays bills on line, even after my warnings. :eek:
    At least he is on dial-up, which is tiny bit of comfort, just a tiny bit. :(

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

And the last thing about Norton 2005, it's damn good overall in detecting rate, but the logfile is a crap, everything messed up together.

Merry Christmas,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  16. Jimbob1989

A friend of mine has used Norton Antivirus 2005 and he says it is crap.

Jimbob

17. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I've got NAV 2003......so I suppose I'm using outdated crap??

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

With some polishing NAV2005 would be a very good product.
    But it seems Symantec programmers really don't care.

19. Jimbob1989

I'm using 2004, so its crap but not as crap as 2003 :D

Jimbob

20. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I'm disappointed with that result, was expecting better. The interesting thing for me is that the gap between KAV and NAV\MCAFEE seems to be getting a little bigger.

Thanks for overcoming your fear (of uninstall) and testing FF. :cool:

21. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Surely Gentlemen we can use better words than crap, let's try expanding out vocabulary a little...

Cheers

Blackspear.

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks for testing, FF.

I am surprised that it appears as good as McAfee and Dr Web, if not better, for detecting Trojans.

The overall detection rate appears much better than I thought ;)

23. Jimbob1989

Do you use Norton Blackspear?

Jimbob

24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Come now JB, what is my Title...

25. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I am both remorseful and lachrymose at my abhorrent, abusive, annoying, biting, blue, crumb, cutting, detestable, disagreeable, discourteous, displeasing, disrespectful, distasteful, dreadful, embarrassing, evil, foul, ghastly, grisly, grody, gross, hideous, horrible, horrid, insolent, invidious, irritating, nauseating, objectionable, obnoxious, odious, off-color, offending, opprobrious, outrageous, repellent, reprehensible, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, rotten, rude, shocking, stinking, terrible, uncivil, and unmannerly utterances. I will endeavour to rectify my articulation in subsequent phraseology.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.