NAV Or PC-cillin?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

>You are right. Trend Micro has great tech support. They were very helpful over the phone. And no long wait on hold.

How could I have forgotten to mention there is never a long wait on hold?! That is amazing especially when all tech support (not just av support) is getting worse and there are longer and longer holds....here is Trend Micro and someone answers your call very quickly and the support is free. Amazing. Glad you found the support great too.

Another thing about Trend Micro tech support. They are very thorough and courteous to a fault. If you need walking through something like how to delete a registry key because you are nervous wnen in the registry, Trend will happily stay on the phone and walk you through it. It is amazing. Dell used to have free phone tech support like that but no more. Same with Symantec and others including Microsoft. Trend Micro is going against the trend and I bet it gets them a lot more users.

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Guest

Good question. I was wondering the same thing after the second uninstall/re-install. I kept thinking why two serial numbers. But then I kept saying to myself the folder the CD and instruction guide came in was sealed. Now that I think about it Amazon could have put the seal on. All it says is that the CD is subject to the terms of the license agreement. And since Trend Micro says it is registered to someone else, I'm almost positive it is used.

It is refreshing. I was pleasantly surprised. I've always heard that they had great support, now I believe it. I can't wait to get this mess straightened out with Amazon so I can fully enjoy my PCC without all the distractions.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Guest

I received my replacement PCC 2003 CD from Amazon.com today. I installed it and clicked on the Register Now button. I am happy to say I am now a registered owner of PCC 2003. :D

After all the help I have received here, I do have one more question.

In Manual Scan I have it set to scan All Files. I left the Compression Layers and the default 5. In the Real Time Scan I have it set at the defaults for now (Recommended Files and Compression Layers at 1). Do you recommend I have All Files and a higher Compression Layers set in the Real Time Scan?

4. LDM

LDM Registered Member

I know this is rather late, but I just found this forum. I use a av by the name of AVG. It is VERY good and works well with email. One fantastic part of thre program is that it is FREE. Thats right, free and the updates are free. I have been using this program for about three years now and it has saved my system many times. They have a network version as well as a stand alone. The updates are done automatically at your preset times. www.grisoft.com.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Welcolm to wilders, LDM

Your post was a little off the main thread, so you could have started a new one with your thoughts on AVG.

If you have no AV installed and no money, AVG is a good choice and many people use this product.

However, if you take the time to read through some of the past posts here( try the search button) you will find that there are FREE alternatives to AVG- Avast, BitDefender and Etrust7 Server edition that offer as good/possibly even better protection.

If you are happy with your present choice I would suggest using one of these other free AV programs or the occasional use of an on-line AV scanner as BACKUP to AVG.

However, if you are on 24/7 a commercial AV program would probably offer you better protection than AVG. As with a lot of things 'You get what you pay for'.

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Great! Welcome to the fold! :D

I leave this setting at defaults except for the compression layers, which I have set to 5. It's a matter of preference and system performance hit, although I don't think you'll see any drag running it set higher.

Personally, I think your settings are fine, but experiment a little.

Glad Trend got you fixed up! ;)

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Guest

Thanks JimIT. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.