NAV autoupdate problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mudge, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudge

Mudge Guest

I have been running NAV and Persona Firewall 2002 with no problems since I first started using them. I am running them on W2K.

Last week the autoupdater ran and them my problems seemed to start. Each time I try to run the autoupdater I get this error:

"LU1840: Automatic LiveUpdate is already running in the background. Please wait for this LiveUpdate session to finish before running LiveUpdate again"

There is no autoupdate happening, I can see Lucoms~1.exe and aupdate.exe as running processes but can't end them

I have checked msconfig and my startup monitor and neither of these processes are even listed here.

It also appears that since this started my pc has been taking much longer to startup and when it does it often hangs and requires a restart even before windows has loaded properly.

I ran an online virus scan and that was clean. My hijack this log is also clean.

Any help or suggestions would be most welcome

thanks

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey Mudge,
    welcome to wilders , mate

See if you can find some help here

keep posting
    thx..

3. Mudge

Mudge Guest

Thanks subratam

Unfortunately there is nothing on the symantec site apart from this..and unfortunately it's not working

thanks though

4. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey mudge,
    Just wondering... if a clean uninstallation and then reinstallation might be worth a try...
    anyways do wait for experts for their views
    thx

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Mudge,

Have you used one of the spywarecleaners?
    If not, please follow the instructions here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    There is a spyware that uses the filename aupdate.exe and maybe that is causing the conflict.

Regards,

Pieter

6. Mudge

Mudge Guest

Hi Pieter

Thanks for the reply. I use spybot and adaware weekly nd I also have spywareguard, spywareblaster along with ie-spyads.

I have a new development. Last night before closing down I disbled the automatic live update functionality. When I booted up this evening the 2 processes weren't running. My Virus defs simply say "updating " instead of showing the date of 21/1/2004 when I manually updated them.

When I try to start the Live Update, it states that its checking for updates from Symantec and then the screen freezes with the taskbar about third of the way along . The only way to quit the screen is to kill it via the task manager.

Any ideas before I rip Norton out and start again?

7. Mudge

Mudge Guest

Update

I hve just tried to manually install the new definitions from the Symntec site and I'm getting an error:

C;\Progra~1\common~1\symant~1\VIRUSD~1\20040122.007\NavEx15.Sys device driver could not be loaded. Error Status was 0xc0000221

this sucks o_O

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

9. Mudge

Mudge Guest

Hi Pieter

I gave it a try to no avail :( so I have uninstalled my NAV, installed AVG till payday when I can get NOD32.

Many thanks though for all of your help. It's appreciated

regards

Mudge

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I used to use nav av I had problems once with live update. To correct the problem I went to the symantec home page and downloaded the latest version of live update and it fixed the problem. It is a more common problem than most people realize.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/lu/lu.html

11. Minera

Minera Registered Member

Hi Everyone;
    I'm back again with a NAV problem (STILL).I upgraded to XP from ME and my auto update is giving me trouble. It was having problems before so I downloaded the manual update 200401118019-i32.exe. I had to uninstall NAV due to a lot of problems and tried to reinstall it but that stops halfway with error msg 'could not acces network location
    Documents and settings\all users\desktop\200401118-019-i32.exe
    I checked with Symantec and did everything on their website AND followed the email instructions but when I try to reinstall it is same thing. The file is ON the desktop but for some reason the original is inaccessible so it stops installing and rolls back leaving all the stuff for me to delete again. Also I have a file norton from some old stuff which
    I can't delete for some reason. I think it is running in dos or something
    and autoloads when I turn on the computer.Symantec hasn't told me how to remove everything as there are STILL a lot of stuff on there despite removing them previously they keep reappering. I am at my withs end. Short of a reformat I don't know what else to do and if it wasn't for ZoneAlarm I would be getting 7 or 7 viruses a day. Please help!
    Minera o_O :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.