NAV 2005 surprised me

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chuck57, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

about Norton 2004, I can say that you can't miss the warning about expiration of the updates: I got a pop-up about that at every boot, and the pop-up did become red in the last days, saying something as " you won't be able to download latest updates, you won't be protected against new threats".

But here again, everything depends of the user: some will care, some won't :D

Chuck57, last time I did uninstall it, I just did a search in the registry, about "norton", and "symantec", and then removed the entries found. The few remaining stuff were removed with a cleaning program ( Ace Utilities - very good one :) ), plus manual delete of the "Symantec shared" folder, etc.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well I would at least mention the expiring DATE, besides the count down.

"Not be able to update virus definitions" isn't strong enough, because that means IMO that NAV will still scan the computer AFTER the expiring date, which is wrong.
    Symantec should disable NAV completely, except the warning screen,
    that shows the necessary data or link, whatever to renew the subscription and enable NAV again.

In other words Symantec should force the user to renew his subscription.
    If the user doesn't like to pay anymore, the only thing he can do is un-installing Norton.

And I agree with you, that the expiring message should be more frightening than bland. After all this message is about keeping NAV or not. :)

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I renewed a couple of days before the countdown reached zero. So I never got to see what the warning looked like on the last day.

4. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

It amazes me, that everyone blames the AV scanner supplier for not giving proper messages etc. when a licence is about to expire.
    It shouldn't really be that hard for every computer user to keep track of that himself, as it is his party!!!!! You have to remember to pay the rent, the mortgage and any other bills!!!!!!
    If an AV user has a look at the 'about' screen of his scanner, usually the licence information is showed.......that's all it takes!

I think it's very poor practice, if a licence expires, to start blaming the AV producer for not reminding properly.

I think it's crazy to spend so much time on this subject.........

;) Putin

5. The Hammer

People understand the consequences of not paying the mortgage or the rent . You lose your house. You don't pay the heating bill , you freeze your *** off. If you want to make sure people renew their subscription or upgrade their AV, Microsoft or linux should be set to block internet access untill it's done. There are a lot of people out there that don't even have an Av and they are all a danger to you and I.

6. SimonCC

SimonCC Registered Member

Thats ridiculous. I should have the choice of forgetting to renew. I think you all need to calm down on this rather academic issue.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes - as well as get back onto the topic of the thread, which is NAV 2005.

As for the recent comments with respect to renewal notifications and information, virtually all subscription products from magazines to most software have this facility readily available all the time. It is trivial to incorporate and it is a piece of information that all should agree that it be readily available to any user on demand. With that, let's close out this portion of the discussion and get back to NAV. Thanks,

Blue

8. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Everytime i'm in Worst Buy (which is rare to be there), I see 20 noObs walking out with Norton under their arms like proud warriors off to fight the good fight.

People just don't get it, and the mindless mass market is about as clueless as you can get - Norton's target audience. :D

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

All i can say at this point is that, after a week, Norton has missed 5 maybe problem things on my computer. Something identified on an online scan as RegPatch.A which is not a virus. I don't know how long they've been on my computer. I was running AVG free prior to moving to the Norton trial. Below is a description of RegPatch.A

"This program is approximately 5KB in size (when packed) and packed using UPX. It is designed to change system registry values.

The file overlay contains an encrypted (xor 90h) .REG file. When launched, the file is saved in C:\ParaTemp.reg using the following command: regedit.exe -s C:\ParaTemp.reg. The C:\ParaTemp.reg will then be deleted.

It then displays a window titled 'Registry Patcher - Coded by ParaBytes', with the message 'All Worked. Registry patched.

It contains the following text string:

"Bad Patch Data. Please contact this file supplyer."

It has no other payload."

Apparently it's no threat and might be nothing at all.

10. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In Belgium NAV seems to be the only existing AV scanner :D
    One of the largest banks in Belgium is using NAV on their pc's and of course their many employees install NAV also on their computer at home.
    Each time, after a major outbreak of a new virus, people start buying NAV and on TV nothing but yellow boxes of NAV in the background, while they are warning people for the new virus.
    One thing is sure : Symantec invests alot of money in advertising their products, that's why their softwares, updates and support are probably so expensive.
    Before I start joining forums, I never heard of NOD32 or KAV, but NAV was on my PC. :D

11. Ice60

Ice60 Guest

NAV2005 is installed on this PC i have been using for the last week or so. it doesn't seem to slow down the system, right-click scans fairly quickly but, i would never install it on one of my PCs. the support for this product is in a class of it's own - diabolically rubbish. if they just made it easy and said there is no support, then no problem, what i hate is all the clicking you have to do on their site to get nowhere, what a waste of time :mad:

uses for NAV CD:
    Tiddlywinks
    Go to a fancy dress party as a fish
    Frisbee
    Coaster
    Bike reflectors
    Christmas tree decorations
    Unicorn's hat
    Cymbals
    Communicator badges for the Star Trek crew
    Race 'em down a hill
    put a pencil through the hole, hold pencil at either end and use to cut pizzas.

12. ice60

ice60 Guest

it doesn't update very much o_O and when installed on your PC you start getting intrusive popups. if i run spybot will it remove the intrusive popups for me? thanks

Attached Files:

13. The Hammer

Speaking to you all from a very calm place. Just let me say that bankers aren't stupid and would insist on a quality product like NAV 2005 the topic of this thread, to protect their clients accounts and the banks reputation. :) ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  14. ice60

ice60 Guest

nice one. LOL

15. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I thought enterprise users are using SAV not NAV (Banks etc) :p

16. The Hammer

I'll leave it to someone else to explain which elements are the same , which are similar, and which are different. As I'm currently investigating the benefits of yoga.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  17. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

LMAO..

Wheres the NAV fanboys when you need em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.