Nav 2003 vs Dr.Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JC, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vampirefo

Vampirefo Guest

JC,
    Give Drweb a try, and see how you like, it maybe what you are looking for. If you are just looking for a back up you could try AVG it's free and works well, just a thought.

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It would be pointless to go any further with you in regards to this topic!

Can I show you a false positive from Norton of course, here you go. http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2001/11/a161101symantec_bug.html

DrWeb32 does not rely only on Heuristic! Virus signatures are released daily!

Agree

newbies could be confused with anything....

Sometimes Heuristic could be more important then just as selling point!

Thanks, U2

Technodrome

3. Technodrome

Sorry there is no prize for you! :D

Technodrome

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

There's room for every solid opinion over on this board - although there's no need to agree ;).

Sure, false positives are fairly common - regardless the security app.

That said: let's respect different views and opinions, and not turn this thread into some kind of a spitting match ;).

regards.

paul

5. Bobb

Bobb Guest

My question is why would you compare junk like this to the premiere Anti virus software in the world? And how or Why would you trust your system to Low budget junk like this? You want software from a old trusted name that's rated well all over the world! Not low budget stuff from some low end country that has no record or test record even remotely close to NAV! It's like Nod, It rates well only one place in the world, The famed virus bulletin! yeah right, I'm going to trust that track record with my system, Oh yeah that's a bright idea!
    Stay with a Real company that will always be there when you need them, Be it a update, support, saving your system, Etc, It's like when your buying homeowners insurance, Would you buy it from some generic out of town newbie company that may or may not be here tomorrow or be able to help when you need it or are you going to buy from a reputable Old American company that has always been around and always will be around

6. Paul Wilders

Bobb,

Your outspoken favor for "reputable Old American companies" is noted.

As for your remarks concerning Dr Web (most probably AVP/KAV as well, since they originate from Russia) being junk and "probably will not stay up" is a) quite untrue and unfounded.

Thanks for your valued input.

regards.

paul

7. Hey Bobb,
    The answer to your questions is obvious. You only read the title of the thread my friend, not what the reason why the member here started the thread. The member is using NAV and wants to use also something for a back up. Did you read that part. :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

Your real question should be whyo_Oo_O

Why are so many people running TWO of everthing now days if their OS and hardware will allow it.

Your Flag waving stuff is understandable..but not in an intelligent discussion on how each of these product operate with their engines to secure a system in real time.

It is the user who wants the added security..I do not blame them. Do Youo_O?

I have yet to see NAV or anyone else in the business..give money back...claim their prodcut was 100 percent effective or put that in writing.

So as NAV struggles with yet another new release called NAV2003..be patient my friend....It is not 2003 just yet .... :D you have SP1 and SP3 floating around from M$ on two of the most popular OS.. how well all of them play together is anyones guess..but fports for DOS is lookig good as a backup ;)

8. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I find Bobb's comments very narrow minded, and frankly a bit offensive.
    Again its relying on a company who are only the biggest due to spending the most on advertising.

I dont think Xenophobic views are appropriate here, maybe you could continue your 'shill' somewhere else. :mad:

9. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

As for Bobb's eruption, allow me to second the learned colleagues who spoke before me:

I strongly disapprove of this kind of jingoism, which moreover doesn't seem to be founded on any kind of familiarity with the products mentioned.

Just my two cents...

10. root

root Registered Member

Can I use the "T" word? Can I? Can I? Huh? Please!!! :-*

11. Paul Wilders

LOL! No please ;). Since dear Mr. Bobb should have a fair impression about the opinions concerning his post, I suggest we go back to life as usual - posting on topic :cool:.

regards.

paul

12. Technodrome

Yeah, yeah clap clap clap! Bravo, bravo, bravo!
    Man, what a guy!!!! I am convinced, from now on my system is protected with NAV! Hell yeah, after this touchy speech I am going to look for my 5 years old shoes! Old stuff...
    We need more knowledgeable people like Bobb to help us decided what to chose!

P.S. Boob stop dreaming, wake up man! It's 10:26 AM! Sun is up!

Technodrome

13. Paul Wilders

ehh..TD,

please ;).

regards.

paul

14. Technodrome

Sorry Paul, but I couldn't resist! :cool:

It was stronger then me...

Technodrome

15. Paul Wilders

:D :D :D

regards.

paul

16. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

I do hope this is ontopic enough ;)
    If no-one ever tried anything new or bothered to look if improvement lay around the corner, we´d still be sitting around a in a cave hoping the bears didn´t notice us.
    I like having NAV but I also like having F-Prot as a backup.
    I guess it all comes down to a persons taste in software.
    I like the fact that there is a big knowledgebase in case of trouble, but let´s not forget it has been created for a reason.

Regards,

Pieter

17. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

DrWeb has been around since 1994. The only AV I've been using before are McAfee, Thunderbyte and F-Prot. Are these Dutch and Icelandic programs also considered low budget from low end countries?

I'm in favour for low budget software from low end countries. Because if it's low budget I can save money on license fees and because it has to run on low end systems it's usually very fast :D

18. Ashak

Ashak Registered Member

Let's not forget that Microsoft, the all-American company to top all companies has moved quite a lot of it's operations to low budget, low end countries :D

19. controler

controler Guest

Ok that's it I couldn't take it any longer. I stepped on my toung as not to speak here but I just had to. You all know how I feel about Norton.
    Some of you have been around almost as long as I have too.
    I will not flame any of the newer products. I like some of them.
    I will say this again though.
    Norton ( SYmantec ) has been around as long as Gates and me.
    Norton has built quality software since the early 80's. Not just antivirus software but many others. He was one of the very first to make any kind of antivirus software. He was also one of , if not the first to make an undelete software. Most of us remember Norton Utilites most though. All good products... A leader not a follower..
    Please look at the overall picture here. Who has contributed more than any other person on this earth for usable , lifesaving software?
    Write your answer below LOL
    Didn't Norton create the first windows , which Bill bought cheap? Like 40 grand?
    Wher do your loyalities lay? This is the big question.
    Who had the first e-mail scan?
    I can't ask the younger generation to understand what i am talking about here but I know all you same age as me remember....
    Please STOP with the " Only reason Norton sells is because of his marketing"
    I will continue to advice my friends to use Norton and if their membership is running out, Heck, buy the next version LOL

20. JC

JC Guest

Wow, what a passionate dialoge we got going on here. I would like to thank everyone here for adding the opinion to the disscusion, i respect everyone's views and most have been helpful and informative. So when does this actually become a mega-thread :D ? This is my first thread/post here and everyone has been great, if you have something more to add please do, i am reading and clicking everything mentioned!

Thanks again!
    JC

21. Paul Wilders

I'm sure you must be delighted! ;)

regards.

paul

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I never posted at DSLR, but I visited several times.

The atmosphere was so hostile there -- and some of their frequent posters were so embued with a messianic complex -- that I deleted that link from my Favorites.

23. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Controler!

Because Norton, now Symantec, has been around as long as Uncle Bill, you, and me, it doesn't means that now-a-days Norton is still THE Nr.1

From very early days, there was only Dos, Uncle Bill was a baby and I was hunting pretty women, Norton was indeed the Nr.1, but times are changing.

I agree with you that Norton has built quality software, but now there are many companies who are doing the same, or even better.

Norton was a leader, but now in many kinds of software Norton is become a follower, you can be sad or angry about that evaluation but it is still a fact.

I understand what you means because I'm not one of the younger generation, for example I was one of the pioneers of Fido-Net , had several Bulletin-Boards and was a well-known person in sysop-Fido-Land, Internet didn't exist at that time so I know what I'm talking about.

Just like you I was always loyal to Norton because it was the best on the market, but now there are so much better products, should I stay at Norton because in your opinion I should be loyal to Norton, and forget all the better available products of other companies?

In all the past years I bought almost everything made by Norton, for 3 months I erased my last Norton product: NAV2002, now my computer is complete Norton-free.

I changed from Norton to another antivirusproduct, for a very simple reason: NAV2002 missed some viruses and trojans on my machine and I can't permit me from a feeling of loyalty I stay at Norton, and the result is that all my hard work is gone.

It is your very good right to advice your friends to use Norton, I was doing the same for years, but at this very moment I will advice my friends NOT to use Norton. :'(

24. JC

JC Guest

Hi Smokey,
    Thank you for your response. Could you follow up then? What did you select to replace Norton and WHY did you select what you did? I think we all have opinions here, and thats fine, but perhaps you could expand on your post to illustrate your decision.

Thanks,
    JC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.