NAV 2003 slowdown

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hooked, Aug 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Registered Member

I have NAV 2003 (System Works). After installing I noticed a real drop in the overall performance of my system. I de-selected the IM section as I don’t use it (IM) but it had no noticeable effect. I looked Symantec’s web site over for possible solutions but found none… Anybody else experience this?

Thanks

Eric
    aka Hooked

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Unfortunately NAV is famous, or should I say infamous for this. That is one reason why many people in this forum have switched to Nod or another product. NAV is actually a VERY good antivirus, but it just has that annoying symptom of slowing systems down, especially older ones. Good luck.

Acadia.

3. Bucko

Bucko Registered Member

This is true, NAV 2003 will slow your system down if you have anything below say a 500mz or 600mz machine. I use NAV on my 3gz and runs fine, I run it on my 2nd 600mz machine which you could tell it was sucking up memory & cpu time and it just plain dogged out my old 200mz puter. NAV has worked well for me over the years and its a shame it it so memory hungury.

4. Hooked

Hooked Registered Member

I have experenced this on every machine I own, From a P4 1.7 Cel to a PII-450 Xeon... I to have used NAV over the years and been happy with it up to NAV-2001 but when I made the jump to 2003, WHAM!

Thanks for the reply

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I had NAV 2001 and loved it for two years. Then I beta tested 2003 on this PIII 450 box and whoa! It gobbled up resources and slowed the computer noticeably. 2002 was still available so I tried it for a month, but it too slowed my computer, but not as much as 2003. So, I started searching for a new av and ended up with NOD32. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.