NAV 2002 e-mail scan problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TonyKlein, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I've been running Norton Internet Security 2001 and NAV 2001 in conjunction with BOClean and have never experienced any trouble.

However, I've recently uninstalled NIS and NAV, and Installed NIS 2002 including NAV 8.00.58B

Every 4, 5 hours or so, when downloading e-mail, I now get  "Norton Antivirus was unable to scan your email for viruses".

If I reboot,  NAV stays quiet for a while, until it starts all over again.
    Nothing helpful about this in the Symantec knowledge base, unfortunately.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled NAV/NIS a couple of times but no joy.
    I just now uninstalled it  and reinstalled it without installing the Redirector update, which according to Symantec can be responsible for a similar, though not identical  problem,  and I'm waiting to see whether the problem will reoccur.

I'm slowly beginning to think about keeping NIS, but replacing NAV with an other antivirus, and NOD32 immediately springs to mind.

However, there are known conflicts between BOClean and NOD32, if I'm not mistaken.

I've been talking to Kevin McAleavy, and he's advising me to go for PC-Cillin or a similar app.

Vet Antivirus also tends to score well in comparative tests.

First, any ideas of why NAV is clunking out on my system?
    Second,  has anyone had good results running NOD32 and BOClean in tandem, and lastly:  any other recommendations?

Thanks!   Tony

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Tony,

No idea. sounds like a software conflict at first glance.

Tested the two in conjunction on differern O/S; no problems have occured. Keep in mind, by design NOD32 will jump in first, not allowing any other program to interfere. PSC has redesigned BOClean to avoid conflicts with the NOD32 design.

NOd32 comes first as a anti-virus IMO. Second best choices: KAV/AVP v3.5 (stay away from v4.0 for the moment), Dr. Webb (con: lacking POP3 email scan feature), PC-Cillin 2000 (since PSC is using this one, surely Kevin will recommend it  ;)  ) - in that order.

regards.

paul

3. TonyKlein

Thanks Paul.

I just received this from Kevin:

"NOD32 did indeed detect fairly well but does have some weaknesses of its own, particularly its annoying habit of halting the system when any file is read or written to. (BOClean for example will check the registry for any changes each ten seconds or so and NOD32 *will* halt the system while it chases after BOClean instead of determining that BOClean is safe, and
    hasn't changed since the LAST time it did this.
    It does that for every file touched by ANY program and has no real provision to stop it) ... if you shut down the AMON module (real-time scanner),  then it works fine ...
    Note that this problem doesn't affect just BOClean ..."

Well, as I said,  I'm now running NAV 2002 without the Redirector update, and I think I'll start by keeping an eye on it for a couple of days, watching out for the problem to reoccur.

After all, I've paid a fair amount of money for the program, and it would be nice not to have to throw it away...

If  the problem pops up again, I'll probably will have to consider an alternative.

Thanks for your insights!

Cheers,  Tony

4. Paul Wilders

My pleasure, Tony.

As for kevin's email: We have had countless contacts concerning BOClean and NOD32 - with both PSC and Eset/NOD32. It's a matter of opinion calling the NOD32 design a "weakness": Eset is convinced their design is the way to go - other vendors from resident running security scanners state the opposite. Fact remains, the NOD32 design could be altered - Eset has chosen not to do so.  All this has been an annoyance for these vendors - and PSC/BOClean has been one of them, forced to design a new version. Surely Kevin was far from happy with this - there might be a small grunch left.

Fact is as well, we do not encounter any problems running both apps in conjunction on various O/S's.

Keeping an eye on NAV no doubt seems a wise decision to me.

Keep us posted!

regards.

paul

5. TonyKlein

Paul,

It seems to me I'll not only need to keep an eye on NAV, but also on NIS:
    I can't exclude the possibilty of NIS incidentally blocking NAV's Poproxy component, although why it would do that only occasionally I really couldn't say.

I had to 'upgrade',  didn't I..... :-/

As I like NIS' ads/banners/popup/content blocking component a lot, I'm not looking forward to the prospect of running a separate firewall, a separate resident scanner, a separate e-mail scanner, and a separate ad/banner blocker.   :rolleyes:

The possibilities for conflicts would be mind boggling...

I can't even exclude going back to NIS or NAV 2001, if that would solve the problem.

Anyhow, thanks again, and I'll keep you posted on this continuing sage.

Cheers,  Tony

6. Paul Wilders

Hello Tony,

You are quite right.

Indeed; outdated security software is not the way to go.

A matter of view, and to an extend agreed. My personal adagium is: don't put all egs in just one basket. If a "combo" security software has been put out of business (and lots of malware is capable in doing so right now), one will loose fairly all defenses. The best stand alone software for each and every threat (anti-virus, anti-trojan, firewall etc.) will avoid this risk.

Please do, by all means!

regards.

paul

7. TonyKlein

Well,  here are the latest developments:

-  Running NAV without the Redirector update's no solution: the problem has reoccurred.

- I disabled NIS, and ended task on Iamapp.exe, Nisum.exe, and Nisserv.exe, tried downloading mail again, and got the same error, so it appears not to be NIS related.

- Rebooted, and all's well again.

I'm beginning to agree with Kevin, who told me he'd been considering NAV as cr*p for the past two years...:D
    I've posted my question at a Symantec support newsgroup, but i have particularly low expectations about anything coming out of there I haven't dug up in the Symantec Knowledge Base myself already .

I've seen newsgroup posts with my exact problem, but no fixes on the part of Symantec.

Well,  let's wait and see.

Cheers,  Tony

8. Paul Wilders

Tony,

Well, at least you have narrowed the scope down to NAV.

Kevin is as always quite outspoken in his statements  ;).

Perhaps Brendon from Symantec will jump in over on the support NG.

regards.

paul

9. TonyKlein

I've noticed that, but you've got to admit he more than makes up for it by providing great service for his own product as well.

That would be terrific.  
    It always saves a lot of time if you're in a position to put your question to the right people right away,  especially when you're dealing with a relatively large company like Symantec.

Any way I could draw his attention to this thread?

10. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

blaze smack for head now they tell me nav is crap lol hey but it works just fine with my windows me and aoi account hmmmm

11. TonyKlein

Well, yes, that's life, I guess...

Every system's different, and I've been running Nav 2000 and 2001 successively without any trouble whatsoever, until I decided to upgrade to the latest and finest... :-/

We'll get to the bottom of this yet.  :cool:

12. TonyKlein

Well, being the patient person I am,  after getting the error one more time, I downloaded a Nod32 trial version, and it's running as I speak.

Anything I should tweak in the default settings, other than the usual?
    I let it detect my e-mail client automatically, and it's happily scanning email now.

Jan told me he was running NAV as a resident scanner, and using only NOD's POP3 scanner, as he found that Amon slowed him down a little too much.

Is this something to emulate, as I still have a brand new version of NAV 2002, or would you prefer using NOD32 alone?

13. TonyKlein

Well, I've adopted Jan's method: NAV as a resident scanner, and NOD32 as a pop3 scanner.

It does appear a bit wasteful, but Amon slowed things down on my system as well.

I still have The Cleaner installed next to BOClean, and MooLive took ages to start up, as did some other programs.

It's better now, but it would be nice if Eset were to be able to make Amon a little less cumbersome.

I'd be grateful for any further insights from you guys.

Thanks!

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You know, I wasn't even going to read any of these threads that relate to Symantec products (knowing from reading hundreds of posts what a resource hog and how trouble-prone Nortons' stuff is ).

So I guess my only question/comment is: why in Gods' name does anyone use  anything  by Symantec? Pete

15. TonyKlein

Hi spy1,

That's a very helpful comment, I'm sure.

However,  once again,  previously I've had no problems at all running NAV 2000 and 2001.
    And Norton Internet Security 2001 and 2002, as well as NSW, I might add...  :cool:

It's just this NAV 2002 email component that's misbehaving, and which prompted me to start looking for a solution.

I might add, that even  BOClean, which I'm fond of, has in the past needed a couple of patches in order to accommodate certain applications, and yet you don't hear me complaining.

And this time its NOD32's Amon which is slowing me down, instead of NAV,  remember...

Cheers,  Tony

16. TonyKlein

Well,  Re-enabled Amon, uninstalled the Cleaner, as Amon didn't appear to like it one bit, and as I'm running BOClean anyway,  and I'm growing to like Nod32 more as I go along...  :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.