NAT router opinions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by doug6949, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I am in the market for a new router. Currently using wired but am considering wireless if I can get enough range.

My Linksys BEFSR41 (second one) is still running. The first one lasted a year. The Linksys modem wallwart fried shortly thereafter. I'm not impressed with Linksys.

Linksys has such a bad reputation for failures I want to try a different brand. The forums at BBR indicate similar quality issues for Dlink, Belkin, and Netgear.

Is there anything in the $100 range that isn't known for breaking?

What kind of range can I expect from wireless? Are some better than others?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a linksys and have never heard of the failure problem. Mine has been online constantly (never turned off) for two years now with out a hicup. Mod#Befw11sf4 Wireless B the range on mine through the walls and all is about 215 ft. about 180 ft optimum signal.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Administrator

doug6949,

Despite your experiences, I would still recommend Linksys. My wireless is handled by a Linksys WRT54GS running Talisman firmware. I've gone through a pair of Netgear wired routers and one Netgear wireless setup in the past 4 years. It a part of working at this price point.

Wired is now handled by a Zyxel Zywall and wireless with the WRT54GS. If the Linky went south tonight, I'd get another without a second thought. In this price range, performance/price really can't be beat and third party firmware does have advantages - like in being able to set antenna power levels.

Blue

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Get any ICSA rated router, those are the ones that are 100% safe, Zyxel, Cisco, Multi Tech, 3COM all make good ICSA rated routers, you do have to pay a price for them as compared to D-Link, Linksys etc but in the long run, well worth it.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My Linksys is four years old and still going strong.

6. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Wow, my befsr81 is 5 years old now and still runs strong when I use it, currently I use my 2wire router because of the hpna support which I need in my house, but if you want other ones, Zyxel would be my pick.

7. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

All the complaints with Linksys routers stem from changes made when Cisco took over. Thus, older units are likely to continue run after the new ones die.

FWIW, I love my Linksys router and modem. Its a rare occasion when you can buy something and just plug it in - no drivers, no fiddling - just use it. This is why I keep buying Linksys.

The other factor is Walmart. They are just down the road and they don't complain when I bring something back (like the Belkin with its flakey driver).

So I guess its another Linksys for me. No point in spending a lot of money just to have lightning blow it up.

TNX;
    Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.