name@~~local~~

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by QuarterP, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuarterP

QuarterP Registered Member

I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place or it has been answered elsewhere - I have tried a search but the nature of the beast throws up either nothing or lots of irrelevance.
    The issue (if there is one) is that I have found Spyware blaster to be extremely effective as judged purely by the dramatic reduction in spyware found by Adaware. However, it has recently been finding something called "name@~~local~~ " where "name" is my name and there are hundreds of hits registered in a day.
    Do I have a problem?
    Why can Spyware blaster not detect / block it?
    Any help appreciated

2. QuarterP

QuarterP Registered Member

Has anybody else found this "~~local~~" spyware ?
    :doubt:

3. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi QuarterP,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I understand which program you are referring to when you say "it" has recently been finding..."
    Spywareblaster isn't an anti-spyware scanner so it couldn't be detecting anything in that manner. Or are you referring to AdAware detecting an infection?

It is difficult to guess at what kind of infection you have, but the "name@~~local~~" could be more a path to the malware file, for example:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Local Settings\Temp

If that is the case, then you could try emptying your temp folders, and then running AdAwareSE (make sure it is up-todate) while in Safe Mode, along with also running your anti-virus in safe mode too, to see if the infection can be removed.

While you're in safe mode, you can empty your temp folders by using the Disk Cleanup Utility in XP.

Also clear IE's cache through its Tools -> Internet Options and click the "delete files" button and mark the popup to also delete offline content.

Once you've done the scan with AdAware and cleared your temp folders, then reboot your computer back into normal mode and do an on-line virus scan: Free Services

If you still find the infection present, then you might want to consider posting a HijackThis log at one of the sites that do HijackThis analysis for a closer look. Two of the bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than many others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com.

Please let us know if the above helps.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.