Naive question ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by justlearning, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justlearning

justlearning Registered Member

Hello folks ...

new member here , just trying to learn my way into IT security...:) still a rookie though.

I would just wondering If any concerns regarding sites hosting multimedia files .
    especially jpg could considered to be safe.
    In particular after the reports in jpg malware concealed with steganography .

A relevant article is this : http://www.techworm.net/2014/02/new-variant-of-zeus-banking-trojan.html

As it is mentioned , a usual method is Malvertising .
    For me the things to be concerned about would be :

a. In sites like, let's say, tinypic.com or imageshack, would the mere viewing a jpg be hazardous ?
    b. what kind of browser is safer in navigating in these cases
    personally I use Chrome and Firefox
    c. Is an extension or add-on like NoScript or Adblock helpful or pretty much useless ?

I know these are rather clueless questions of but I would be obliged If someone could throw a piece of advice.

Thanks ...cheers :)

2. fax

fax Registered Member

The jpeg contains the Zeus configuration. Zeus still needs to load into the system before been able to read the configuration.
    So, in short: if you open a Zeus jpeg you don't get infected! :D

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I agree.

It's 2014 and Microsoft Windows PCs can still be owned by a JPEG.

IMHO NoScript and Adblock Plus are both quite useful in avoiding exposure to malware.

4. justlearning

justlearning Registered Member

My sincere gratitude to both repliers .
    I would like to add some more wood in the fire , though ;)

1) When I visited a certain web page which provided image hosting, my NoScript app warned me of an xss event . Not only that , but also in the event log there was a registration of a JavaInjection atempt in the aforementioned webpage. From what I understand so far java Injection is a method used in order to embed executable code in a presumably trusted site.
    I could paste the exact code as it was recorded ( If anyone can comprehend gibberish :ouch: )

any cents on that one ?

2) the second concern has to do with the csrss.exe file, as it is shown in the taskbar, not co certain though , still working on it

How about number one , at first , any opinions ....? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.