MyIE Web browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mike_Healan, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I'm a big fan of Mozilla, but I've heard good things about this so I installed it and made it the default browser to try it out. I have to tell you, I LOVE THIS THING. Definitely a thumb's up.
    I may just leave Mozilla turned off for now. One very big advantage over Mozilla on this WinME system, I can open a huge number of tabs and it eats way less resources than Mozilla does. With Mozilla I can run into trouble if I open more than 15-20 tabs at once.

http://www.webattack.com/get/myiebrowser.shtml

myIE Web Browser 3.2 Date added: 2/12/2002
    IE based web browser with extras
    myIE is an Internet Explorer based web browser that adds a lot of new features as well as a fresh new look to your standard Internet Explorer browser interface. Among the added features are a tabbed interface that allows you to quickly switch between web pages and create groups of pages that you can launch with a single click. In addition, it offers several privacy features like cookie and history cleanup as well as an option to delete the typed address bar URLs (either all or only selected). There are many other features, most of them small, but very handy. For example, it includes an option to organize your favorites, mark certain ones as "most favorite" and then access those with a single click. You can also specify URL aliases, allowing you for example to type "WA" instead of webattack.com, or "news" to visit your favorite news site etc. Furthermore, you'll find a pop-up filter, an option to display your modem speed, local IP address, a tiny text collector as well as a feature to include external tools and more. The interface is very clean and uses XP style icons. Now that you've heard about all the features, you'll be surprised that this little app is less than 300k in size, does not require an install and doesn't mess with your existing browser settings. Homepage is of no use - all in Chinese, but the program is very nice and in English.

2. root

root Registered Member

Yes, but still vulnerable to IE bugs which means you have to play the patch game at least once a week.
    Mike, I know you're a sharp guy and aware of security issues, so I'm not assuming I know anything you don't. Have you tried Opera lately? The thing has tabs, great bookmarking abilities, is feature rich, fast and small if you stay away from java, and is very secure without the need for constant patching.
    There are very few sites it does not render correctly anymore. I have not had to fire up IE for three months now.
    I took a look at Mozilla 1.1 and it's ok, but it bought me nothing over Opera. Wouldn't import my bookmarks from Opera either. They need to fix that.
    Oh, by the way, I have XP style icons and an XP looking skin for Opera right now. The skins are great for this thing.
    Just kinda wondering if you had tried Opera lately?

3. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Downloaded it last night. Not real impressed with it. I guess if you want to get away from IE it's fine. Seems to be more or less like MyIE. A little weird.
    I don't think I'll be keeping it.

4. root

root Registered Member

Hey, at least you tried it. More than a lot of people would do. It's amazing how many people will show contempt prior to investigation.
    It took me awhile to get used to Opera as I had used Netscape for years. After I got used to it and the ease of handling cookies and the use of tabbed pages, I never looked back.
    I see you just got to 100 posts. Congrats! :D
    See ya around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.