MYFreeAntivirus 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Wrong. Still free, just they include this retail box thing thinking it was a bright idea.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's not free when you have to pay for the retail box in order to register it.

3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

so just to be clear free or not(depending on how you look) one still needs a valid credit card info to get this?

4. sbcc

sbcc Guest

No possible way I would give this company my credit card info or phone number - why would they need it for a "free" product?

Steering a wide berth around this one.

5. roger_m

Yes as has been explained previously by myself and others.

Quite simply you can not get MYFreeAntivirus for free anymore. You have to pay $5 for the retail box, or select one of the other offers available at checkout.

6. whitestar_999

just wanted to make sure :) also more than the price it is the need for credit card which is more of an issue for me.

P.S. btw what do you think is a better option between getting this for $5 or kaspersky IS at $5(verified genuine).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. roger_m

Personally I would go for Roboscan as it is free, and is using Bitdender's scan engine. Between MYFreeAntivirus and Kaspersky, I would say that MYFreeAntivirus would be less resource hungry - but I'm sure someone here can give more insight.

8. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

Kaspersky 2013 removed some features that makes it lighter than before. I personally think BitDefender-based products are not good choice for low-end PC

9. roger_m

I can't comment on Bitdefender or MYFreeAntivirus, but Roboscan which provides its own interface for Bitdefenders scan engine, is very light on resources, and should work fine on low end PC.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

roboscan working very well for a few of my clients on older machines and they really like it. at times it does slow down the start up by just a bit but otherwise no slowdows anywhere

11. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Heyy Guyz,

What happens when you leave the registeration page after you have removed all the paid items but not able to remove the retail box option?

Coz I tried 2 times & left the registration page after I was not able to remove the retail box option but when I checked my email I got the activation link & inside myaccount there were installation files & licence key.

12. whitestar_999

just tried & leave the registration page after removing all options except the one which can't be removed.checked email & got an account activation email.clicking on activation link activated "MY ACCOUNT" but no serial/install files.

13. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Gonna stick with Roboscan, apart from the slow download speed (40k/s) no problems at all, this just seems far too much hassle for what it's worth!
    I checked out the website, couldn't get it for free, postage/packing issue, couldn't remove it so thought you know what, GOODBYE!!

14. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Ditched 'MyFreeAntivirus 2012' as well. Good riddance.

Marion wasn't able to help get a free deal.

15. thanhtai2009

sorry for off-topic: today, I got an info about new free BitDefender licensed product named Naver Anti-Virus. at this time no English interface, hope English version come out soon:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

It has actually been out longer than most realize. However there is nothing to see here, just another Korean freebie... :)

Official site: http://security.naver.com/service/intro.nhn

From what I can make out, they use Ahnlab's technology. The company itself does not center itself around the AV industry and is more of a Yahoo! wannabe. When I get bored I'll install the product and check it out.

Cheers! :D

17. thanhtai2009

No, new version uses BD's signatures. They make their debut in Vietnam this month with few softwares
    http://toolbar.naver.vn/application/index.nhn?applicationNo=2

18. whitestar_999

i guess it is time to remove FREE from myfreeantivirus to avoid misunderstanding :)

19. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

Hello, I've just added this new product to my article about How to Report Malware or False Positives to Multiple Antivirus Vendors, but I have yet to add which engine it uses.

The main page mentions Ahnlab, but I can't read enough to know what it's referencing. However, thanhtai2009 says it uses BitDefender. Can someone please point me to a page which will clear this up?

Thanks.

20. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

if you look at the tanhthai2009 picture you can see a "powered by Bitdefender" so there are no doubt it use BD engine
    Their engine site say the same, Ban tin I think are the definitions fingerprints and are called BitDefender
    http://toolbar.naver.vn/application/index.nhn?applicationNo=2

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  21. thanhtai2009

I don't know why, but Korean ver uses Ahnlab [& Hauri] engines beside Vietnamese ver uses BD engine

22. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Duradel :)

I agree. I ditched it rather quickly due to two matters...1) sorry, MFA is a pig and in my opinion bloat...in addition to the lack of control it gives to the user. I like to make my own decisions in regards to dealing with infections, and in my testing, it worked well, but I like more control over the process.

2) It appears to me from reading what many of you have experienced, that 'Mysecuritycenter' company pulled a fast one and could have handled matters much more openly. I believe they are somewhat deceptive in their business model and that to me is a deal breaker.

Just my opinion, but I cannot do business with a company like that, not knowing what to expect from them. I finally did get a license, but the overall experience was bizarre. I am steering clear of any dealing with them because something is just not proper. I think someone should invite 'Marion' to come to the board and discuss what many of us have learned. I feel they have an ulterior motive, and that bugs me.

Jim

23. roger_m

I'm still waiting for Marion to send me my license.

24. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Sorry to hear that Roger. I got mine within a few days, but I am not comfortable with their practices. I hope you get the license, but their version is not my cup of tea, free or not. I do not like any application that cuts off the user from having proper control over it, but that is just me, and unfortunately, many companies are going that route and making the decisions for the user. In some cases that is ok for beginners, but more advanced users should have the option to be able to control an application if they are given the option without the company making decisions for you.

By the way, I downloaded Roboscan free, but have not tried it yet. That seems to be one a lot of you guys like, so it will be worth a try, but honestly, I am really tired of testing AV software at this time LOL

Jim

25. whitestar_999

roboscan free is good.the unique thing about it is that it is the only AV based on bitdefender engine which allows user to decide what to do in case of a possible threat not to mention it is also probably the most optimized(performance wise) one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.