MYFreeAntivirus 2012

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by thanhtai2009, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I got a reply from them in 48 hour time frame I was told of. For me the retail box deletes from the purchase page just fine. Not only that, I was able to register multiple times with the same email address and enter fake entries into the required field. I have replied back to them regarding this little issue so that everything is clear.

2. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Do you mean you were able to remove everything?

I mean I can remove that retail box option but the thing is when only 2 options are left one is free AV & one any other & you remove the other option then the retail box option comes back, this is the prob here.

"Dear Sir

The marketing name for our product is MYFreeAntivirus, however the interface will say MYAntivirus.

Kind Regards
    Marion
    MYSecurityCenter"

Now I am wondering how DBone got the interface with the name MyFreeAntivirus??

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I received the reply & they mentioned that they didn't recieved any queries from me. Strange, as they had emailed me the ticket no. for my queries.

Anyway, sent another email with lots of queries & hope it will be replied soon

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

5. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Maybe free after rebate?

Attached Files:

6. roger_m

I missed that bit.

7. roger_m

I purchased the Complete PC Clean-up & Optimization Service yesterday for $6.99 - and removed everything other item. I have zero use for the service, but it includes a licence for MYPCTuneUp which is usally worth around $40.

Anyway, the email I recevied with download instructions for MYFreeAntiVirus did not include the serial number.

I just emailed them about it to see if they will send it to me. I didn't get the licence key for MYPCTuneUp either but I emailed support about it yesterday and they sent it to me this morning.

8. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Roger :)

Same thing happened here in regards to MFA. I jumped through all the hoops and they sent me 3 emails, none had the license. So i sent an email to "Marion" and after I think 3 days, she emailed back with a free license and also invited me to check out one of their other utilities at a 20% disc.

I downloaded the other night, and when I saw I had no license to input I went ahead and installed to test MFA anyway. It lasted on my system about maybe an hour. Once it was updated, I began to check where its files were located, etc., and I began to add up the disk space used, and it was well over 800MB, close to 1GB after update.

I personally have an issue with this kind of bloated software, so I uninstalled and will not use it again, even though now I have a license. I assume Bitdefender is as big installed, and although I am aware of how good BD is, I just cannot justify using an AV program that requires 800+MB to use. In addition to that, I did not like the way MFA was handled as far as the license issue and having to jump through so many hoops just to download the application. To me it made little sense and made me feel they were trying to 'trick' me into a purchase of something they included in their checkout. The experience was a bit bizarre, although I understand they need to make money, I just thought they could have been much more straight forward.

Just my opinion, but I am glad they are offering a free AV, it just is not for me. There is something I just do not trust with them, but again, that is my personal opinion.

Jim

9. roger_m

I agree - that is a huge installation size. I just did a check and Roboscan is using 400 meg of disk space in Program Files. A big difference considering Roboscan is using Bitdefender's engine. That combined with the low memory usage - right now Roboscan is using a peak of 155 megs of memory, with 14 megs of that being used right now, MYFreeAntivirus does not seem like a good option.

However, I would be interested to see test results comparing detection rates between the two.

10. Jim1cor13

I agree Roger, the testing results between the two would be interesting, I just could not believe that MFA was using that amount of space, so I assume the actual BD is that size also. I never tried Roboscan yet, but it sounds much better size wise than MFA for sure.

Right now I am testing Avira premium 2012 for 30 days. I like it, so far rock solid, but after a few hours my free RAM is down to about 150MB or less. After boot, free RAM is about 450MB, but I do not notice any real impact on performance overall. I assume it is using a cache or I think they call it "avshadow" as I can watch the free RAM going lower once Win7 is done loading, but I do like the Avira other than the RAM usage.

All components use about 25MB of physical looking at task manager, with 'avguard' going up and down depending upon demand, then settling back to about 15 - 17MB.

11. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

When it comes to BD I learned that it has to be on the system for more than five minutes (this is an exaggeration). Impact varies between systems but it seems best to reboot after the first update. One of those AVs that has to get 'used' to the system.

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Runs light here.Got license instantly and this is great for free.Using 153mb of space.

13. Jim1cor13

Hi waters :)

I am pretty sure MFA is using much more space, at least when I tested it, if you look, if using Win7, under Program Files and Program Data for starters, the MFA folders, on my machine it was well over 800MB after updated.

Glad you like it though. Pretty complete for free, just too bloated for my taste, and I was not a fan of their business model at 'Mysecuritycenter'.

@ Cloud: I agree it appears BD takes some time to acquaint itself with ones system. Certainly a capable program, well tested, and with their definition files approaching 280MB +, I would hope that would cover quite a spectrum of malware, etc., in addition to their other tools.

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

kaspersky IS 2012 uses 1gb in program data folder on windows 7 32bit here.there is not much choice in terms of disk usage between suites like kaspersky or bitdefender.

15. Jim1cor13

Thank you Whitestar. I guess after working on PC's for about 16 years now, I would have never imagined an antivirus application reaching these levels of size. Blows my mind. Everything getting more complex daily, one of the reasons I backed off of PCtech work overall, other than what I mess with on my own PC's. I remember the days when I could handle most tech issues via phone, but those days are mostly over unfortunately.

Besides, spending all those years sitting doing PC work affected my health and my legs, so i really cut back and began to get out more and walk and sit less. I must be getting old! ;)

16. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

Jim1cor13,i have only spent half as much time as you(8 years) working on pc's & i do remember the old days of ~20-30mb definition files but like you said technology is becoming more complex which means both attack & defense mechanisms have to evolve too.these huge size databases may seem too much but they do serve a purpose.in fact on pc's not connected to net/off-site locations these large databases based AV's are the best option along with a good HIPS program like defensewall or private firewall(HIPS portion of software).

17. Jim1cor13

Great points whitestar :) Yes, it is something we have to live with, as much as I truly dislike how things have become beyond bloat, but I would guess in some manner, at least in the case of security software, that sector alone must constantly evolve and that leads to the 1GB apps we now see as security apps, i.e., BD, kaspersky, etc. they certainly do the job, but man, these apps installed and updated are now larger than Windows 2000 OS initially was! LOL

You mentioned Private Firewall...I DO use this and this is a true example of NON bloat security software as far as comparing to other free firewalls. Installer is under 4MB and it just works and works well and is well maintained. I will take PF features and HIPS and its speed and stability any day over the 50 - 100MB + offerings out there. The only other firewall that is so well written and smaller than even PF I think is Look-N-Stop, but that is not free.

Oh well, sometimes I miss the good old days when things were indeed simpler...but it seems like such a long time ago. I guess we are stuck with huge programs that used to be half the size or less just a few years ago.

Have a good day whitestar. :)

18. waters

waters Registered Member

153mb of space used on this pc

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

has it updated for a few days?? this is a bitdefender thing. ive seen the actual bitdefender use over 1gb of space after a couple weeks

20. Jim1cor13

Hi waters :)

Yes, under just Program Files folder, MyAntivirus folder is about that much. My machine with it installed showed 127MB *but*, go to this folder: Program Files\Common Files\Myantivirus and right click the folder and click 'Properties', and tell me what it tells you? That is the folder that houses the plugins (defs) and other modules, etc. On my machine it stated 830MB. Part of that is the "rescue" backup of previous defs.

Added together, near 1GB total on disk. Myantivirus (BD) Plugins folder (defs) alone are 291MB. Please check the folders mentioned above, and you will see what the figures are.

The installer file itself for MFA was 226MB. I guess this is the new 'norm' LOL

Jim

21. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

I found a forum that has the download links

~Link removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2012
  22. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

does anyone run this? what do you think ?

if its free why do i have to enter my credit card info? do they use it or what?

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

be careful posting links over there that is a warez site which posts cracks and "medicine" as they call it for programs

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

ah didnt know that site was used for that. tho i didnt search the site only that page.

25. roger_m

It's not free anymore, you have to either pay to get the actual retail box shipped to you, or pay for one of the other sevices they offer at the checkout page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.