MyDefrag 4.0 - JkDefrag replaced

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by majoMo, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

MyDefrag v. 4.0 by Jeroen Kessels just released. Unlike JkDefrag (replaced by MyDefrag now)- that it's Open Source (Free GNU software) - MyDefrag is a freeware software.

http://www.mydefrag.com/index.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

Nice,thx

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I really loved the fact that JKDefrag was a single executable that I could take anywhere, why I need to install the new one I don't know. I'll stick to the old version.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I will do the same thing.
    that was one of the advantages of it.
    step backward imo.

5. VincenZ

VincenZ Registered Member

Good news but why everyone says '' replaced '' ? I see JkDefrag alive as well the new MyDefrag. Did Jeroen Kessels said that JkDefrag is discontinued or what ?

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

You can still download the old one. http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

RE: MyDefrag If you run the default scripts for the new one, he has taken a different approach to how things lay out on the disk. Nothing earth shattering but different. I'll run MD for a while and see how I like it. I will say, so far, so good (which is always nice! :) )

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It is still a portable app. Install it in Sandboxie, copy the program files directory out, delete sandbox contents. Works just fine now as a copy paste. No front-end yet. Perhaps someone will make a nice one like JKDefragGUI was.

I like this so far. I will put in in place on a dozen computers and see how it performs in real day to day.

Sul.

8. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

The Difference with JKDefrag, is that MyDefrag is FULLY customizable to your own likings, you can use and alter the different scripts just as you like, and the defragging algorythms have been further optimized, layout can now be zoomed to your likings, you can follow the progress using the layour or using the statistics window.

Overal, this is better defragger than JKDefrag, but it's more aimed at people willing to alter some things to their likings.

I like it ! (and it's free!)

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Why don't you guys just use Windows own? Do you see any advantages using this one?

For the times I tested it, I always hated the fact that it would delete every system restore points, when applying, via cmd line jkdefrag -a7.

10. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes of course. E.g.: Why use MyDefrag instead of the standard Windows defragger?

It can happen with all defragmenters and optimizers.: "Running MyDefrag can cause the Microsoft Shadow Copy service to clean up (delete) some restore points"

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

So far, I have ran MyDefrag on 3 XP SP3 PCs. In my tests, I have choose to use the Fast Optimize option (which is similar to the default option on the old JKDefrag.)

I have to say that I like the new program better than the old one. The GUI is much improved. You now have the ability to see where files reside on the hard drive, which means that you can see what files have become fragmented. The GUI also now lets you pause and resume (rather than quiting and starting over.)

The new program appears to move files closer to the beginning of the drive a bit better than the old JKDefrag did (which could/should help speed a PC up a little.)

Running MyDefrag as a standalone seems to work well too. I placed the needed files in a folder on the desktop and ran a Quick Optimization from there. It ran just as expected with no issues.

While I may keep a copy of JKDefrag 3.36 for memory sake, MyDefrag is IMO, better, and has become my new defragmenter of choice...

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have replaced jkdefrag with MyDefrag now. I dont need to create shortcuts to do certain tasks now since there is already scripts created for me and the new gui is better.

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, looks very interesting!

14. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, he did.

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

16. tlu

tlu Guest

17. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Awesome. Thanks.

18. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Well, as with JKDefrag, there appears that there will be GUIs written for MyDefrag. Here is one shown to me earlier today http://www.MyDefrag.net
    I tried running the MyDefragGUI Fast Defrag and Optimize on a PC that I had already ran Mr Kessels Fast Defrag and Optimize script. Surprisingly (or maybe not?), they are different. Not a lot but they did sort the final file layout in a slightly different manner. I found the comparison to be interesting... ;)

19. tlu

tlu Guest

On the other hand the available scripts should satisfy the needs of most users. Thus, in most cases a GUI is not really needed.

20. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Updated to v 4.1
    http://www.mydefrag.com/

**EDIT**
    Among the changes, you can now pause (and unpause) actions by tapping the Space Bar. Nice!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  21. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

This may be more powerful,but i find it very user unfriendly.Not for the masses

22. philby

philby Registered Member

You could try mydefrag.net - a user friendly GUI.

I can't see how to do fast update, but all the other scripts are available through the help file.

philby

23. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Thanks.Does it updates fast to the latest version?
    Also from MYDefrag help file i think Jeroen recommands Fast Update as the default daily script.

24. philby

philby Registered Member

Short answer is no. Last night I ran the updater from the GUI and no new version was flagged, even though 4.1 was available. Maybe running the updater now would pick it up, as the new version was indeed super-new last night.

I have the same problem with Sandboxie - the s/w says there's no new version until about a day after the new version is already on the website.

True, as per text below from here, but I settled for fast optimise every week:

Slow Optimize gives the best optimization results, but takes a lot of time to complete and is not recommended for daily use.
    Fast Optimize gives better results than Fast Update, but is incompatible with Slow Optimize.

philby

25. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes, he does. But it doesn't defrag as part of it's routine and I just don't have the time to use anything slower than Fast Optimize. So I'll never use it (or Slow Optimize.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.