My version. Need ESET Professional SUPPORT Team.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by zonda, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonda

zonda Registered Member

VERY WEIRD.

I have just download NOD32 v3.0.669 trial version from here:
    http://www.eset.eu/download/trial
    and installed it.

I notice that the servers (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000400\Settings)
    are changed.
    now it used eset_eval folder instead of the eset_upd folder (like commerical version).
    and it add alot of trial watermarks into my ESET gui.

so I have some questions:

1) What are those /eset_eval/ folders on the servers??

2) What is the goal of those servers?

3) the version I downloadeded from eset' website come with a lot of trial watermarks like:
    Remaining trial period 30 days
    Purchase full version
    Upgrade to full version
    Why this all watermarks?
    What is going on here? I have never seen that in previous trial versions,,

4) Does NOD32v3 update modules (component update) from this eset_eval folders (like eset_eval servers) ?

5) Does those eset_eval folders on the server are faster like eset_upd folders?

6) Does commerical version update sginature updates faster than the trial versions?
    because I see that there are less servers that use eset_eval directory than eset_upd folder.

7) Are there any differences between trial version that use eset_eval dolder and full commerical version that use eset_upd dolder
    in terms of functionality?

:cool: Why there is not trial version for ESET Smart Security that use eset_eval folder like ESET NOD32? (instead of this, eset sent u/p to ESET Smart Security trial users email).

9) Does licensed versions that use eset_eval folder will receive priority in signature updates when the servers are loaded?

10) Does the updated modules in trial versions that use eset_eval folder are different than the commercial version?
    and if so, what are the differences?

ESET Support Team/Moderators please help in what you know.
    and if you can, please ask the Developers about this and refer to all of my questions.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The folder contains update files for trial versions.

To provide updates for trial users.

These options make it easier for trial users to purchase the program and upgrade it to the full version.

In previous trial versions? The trial version is meant to be installed once and can be used for 30 days. Otherwise you're breaching EULA and use it illegally.

Yes, both the signature database and modules are updated from this folder.

No, they are not faster as they are on the same server. Plus we will never prioritize trial users to paying users.

This could be true if there's a very large update which we don't expect, however.

Basicly not. The only difference will be that the trial version of the program will not upgrade if a program component update is released, that's how it's always worked with v2 version as well. The trial version can be used for 30 days while a program component update takes place 1-2 times per year.

There are technical and legal reasons for this, I won't go into details. Both EAV and ESS trial versions can be used for 30 days and that's what matters.

Already answered above.

No, they are same.

3. zonda

zonda Registered Member

thank you Marcos.
    I want to note that I installed the trial version once (two days ago).
    ant I want to know some details about the trial version.

1) but you said before that both the signature database and modules are updated from eset_eval folder,
    so how come you said that the trial version of the program will not upgrade if a program component update is released ??
    2) so are you saying that eset_eval folder update modules and signature updates but not component update?
    and eset_upd folder update modules, signature updates AND component updates?
    3) is there any differences between modules to component update? (Components update = Modules update ? )
    if yes, what is different?
    4) What is a program component update / component update / modules?
    please explain that and refer to all of my questions.

I think you are wrong with that, I am using the trial version that use the eset_eval folder, and when I do a manual update it does not work.
    I need to click couple of times (4~) "update virus signature database"
    for it to update, and even if I DO that, sometimes it does not update.
    of courese I check here to see if a new signature update is released, but as I said sometimes manual update does not work (when there are signature updates to update).
    automatic update is working fine for me (probably, because I did not see any problems).
    - so are you mean that eset_upd folder are faster than eset_eval folder when the server are loaded?
    - are you mean that eset_upd folder are faster than eset_eval folder when there is a very large signature update or every large modules update ?
    - why there are more servers that use eset_upd folder than servers that use
    eset_eval folder?
    fair enough.
    can you please go into details in PM?
    what is the technical reason?
    Does eset_eval folder on the server does not work with ESS?
    what does it have to do with legitimacy?
    Does the signature updates files for trial versions are also the same than the signature updates for commerical version?

please answer all of my questions.
    thank you Marcos.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. zonda

zonda Registered Member

someone?
    Marcos please respond.

5. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Just curious why do you need an answer to all of these questions? Some of your questions might be relevant as a user of the software, but a lot of them i cannot see why it's important for you or any user of nod32/ess to know.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't know what Marcos may have said but Program Component Update (PCU) will not be given to a trial version , it is pointless and just takes company resourses . A user who wants to try a certain program can well try a bit earlier build and it is not their job to hang around in forums to see if there are PCU released . Moreover , an evaluation version is meant to be used 30 days only.

And components - YES . Antivirus and antispyware module , Anti-stealth module , Antispam module , firewall module , etc.

Program Component Update is the update from a certain old build to a new known stable build (e.g. you have 3.0.621 installed . ESET automatically upgrades you to 3.0.893 build)

Component updating is updating small things for the different aspects of the programs (firewall , spam , antimalware things , how the program will clean certain threats , etc)

if yes, what is different?

Explained :)

I guess you have had to click "couple of times" because at the time you have clicked not all of the servers/folders have been updated . Even though it is relatively fast , it does takes some minutes to complete this task.

I am sure you will agree that a company must respect more its actual clients , those who have paid licenses to use their product . Thus , more power shall be given to such users .

It should work with ESS.

Yes , of course .

Well , I have tried to answer some of them but you are ask too much :p

7. zonda

zonda Registered Member

HiTech_boy- thank you for your respond.

But I want a proffesional reply from Marcos to all of my questions on this matter.
    so Marcos please answer all of my questions even the ones already answered by HiTech_boy.
    thank you!
    awaiting for your reply.
    :thumb:

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

1, for the users it doesn't matter what folder the trial version is downloaded from
    2, both the trial and full versions provide same protection
    3, program component updates are not released for trial users (explained above)
    3, in the case of a large update, paying users are prioritized over trial users (v3 uses much smaller updates than v2 so this should not happen and we believe that all v3 users will always be able to update without a delay)

Since everything has been said and explained, I'll draw this thread to a close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.