My tests with av

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tinribs, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

First of all let me state that although I have some years of experience with av programs these tests are in no way scientifically based (so flames can be minimised)

I have been curious about Drweb for some time now, being relatively unknown amongst the average users of such programs.

I keep a small number of live virus for testing purposes and decided to try DrWeb out on this folder,it correctly detected 2 more infected files than the programs I keep for 'second opinion' scanning (Norton 2002,F-Prot 3.12,F-Secure 5.4 all updated religiously)(Only ever one running as resident protection though)

I shant name these files and the previously undetected files have been submitted to the vendors in question.

DrWeb has a nice user interface,a fast scanning speed and low memory footprint. A tendency to be a bit aggressive is no bad thing as long as the 'detected' files are examined before action is taken.

Drweb has impressed me so much in fact that I intend to purchase the full version immediately, I wonder if the language differences may limit support somewhat but I'm sure this wont be a problem.

Above all I'm hoping that the program gains the respect due to it,it may not have the financial backing that 'makes' the top selling av's popular but I'm sure when word gets around more it will become more 'in the spotlight'

I have always seen it around and never been tempted to try until this esteemed site jogged my memory and perked up my curiosity enough to try it out,I'm glad I did.

Any other uses feedback on DrWeb?

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Tinribs,

Thanks for your evaluatuon!

We threw a couple of thousands viruses and a couple of hundreds backdoors/trojans at Dr.Web recently. Review and extensive screen shots:

www.wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm

regards.

paul

3. Tinribs

Thanks Paul, and how did it fair in these tests in relation to others? :)

4. Paul Wilders

See our rating - which heavily depends on detections rates/cleaning. In short: all viruses detected, 80% trojans/backdoors detected (which is rather high for an AV IMHO).

regards.

paul

5. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

"Drweb has impressed me so much in fact that I intend to purchase the full version immediately, I wonder if the language differences may limit support somewhat but I'm sure this wont be a problem."

Hi Tinribs:
    Good choice and support is excellent!
    Paul excellent review and screen shots. I change a few settings because of them.
    Tinribs; one thing I will recomend if you haveN't already is to put any false positives in SpiDer Guard's exclude list. They interrupted my boot up twice till I put them in the exclude list (Thanks to Paul).
    Regards
    Tim

6. Tinribs

Thanks TAG, I had done that already as it detected my Script Sentry as suspicious and infected,good idea though.
    And Paul the review and screenshots were very good,I too changed a couple of settings because of it. Glad to see it has good Trojan detection rates too,a very underated program in my mind that deserves more widespread acclaim.

7. Paul Wilders

Hi Gents,

Glad to hear you like our review and screen shots ;).

As for (possible) underrating from Dr.Web: fully agreed. This could well change in the near future though...

regards.

paul

8. root

root Registered Member

Alright Guys. I just purchased Dr Web because you have been talking it up so good.
    If I get a virus, I'll be back here looking for you know who. ;)

Seriously, I'm impressed. It would seem to be in the same category of AVP and is cheaper, faster, and I like to support new improving products.
    Heuristics immediately told me TDS3.exe was a backdoor. At least I know its working. :D

9. Paul Wilders

root,

LOL! (who's to say you updated your db on time? :D )

regards.

paul

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

DrWeb is good! I've been saying this since day one!
    Root you won't be disappointed!

Technodrome

11. Tinribs

Good move Root, we could even become the official tech support forum ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.