My review of eXtendia AVK Antivirus System.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kobra, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To tazdevl from Firefighter!

I mean, is my KAV engine: AVK 14.0.1207, the same that is in the latest AVK 2004 Pro? If so, what to worry about, even when my GUI is from eXtendia Pro as AVK 11?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

From AMRX

Looks like he's been busy..

Kobra's Antivirus SHOWDOWN results

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Kobra won't be back. Don't ask why.

4. Firefighter

To RejZoR from Firefighter!

I don't understand what Kobra's scanning results have to do with that when someone wants to visit in this forum. I don't have so impressed results with NOD either, but this is the other anti-virus forum or what?

If some NOD enthusiasts take these as an insult, there is always the official NOD forum, where they can visit in. My personal scanning results are only for my own use, but why not tell these to others?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear NAMOR, where ever he goes he is always the eye of the storm. i just found out today about his ban from this forum. i visited AVAST forum and also followed your link. he assumes a lot and has deeprooted conceptual problems. thats why i don't trust his tests. this shouldn't be taken as a personal insult. i do admire his efforts.

a lot of things are clouded regarding the KAV+RAV version of AVK. perhaps they should submit their software to established testing authorities. only by this way we'll know how good this product really is. otherwise buying without trying doesn't make any sense.

BTW this is what i found on Virus Bulletin page, the latest German AVK version is 14.0.5 for June and in Feb it was 14.0.2.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

well the next test would have 50,000 samples. i bet this will be interesting. not to mention in a forum with 250,000 members. dear RejZor will you be kind enough to give the address of his personal forum? thank you in advance.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

9. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Just had a major system crash caused by AVK Pro and emailed tech support a few days ago a few times. Still waiting on an answer. Emailed them again just now again.Meanwhile I uninstalled it to be on the safe side until they can find out what was the cause. Sent them a copy of the mini dump file so they have all the info needed to see what happened. It says that AVK caused an exception etc etc

Dave

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

thiis is why. The "Kobra book" has been closed as far as this (and various others in the meanwhile) board/forums is concerned.

regards.

paul

11. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

I wonder what kind of systems those other have! I have any difficulties with my eXtendia AVK Pro (= AVK 11) just now when I have also, AntiVir 6.25, BitDefender 7.2 Free, ClamWin 0.35, MKS_VIR 2004, Panda Platinum 7.05.07, BOClean 4.11, Ewido Security Suite, Ad-aware 6, SpyBot 1.3, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, MRU-Blaster, CleanUp!, HijackThis and CWShredder installed on as my security pack in my WinXP Home system. Maybe I'm just lucky!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

12. worldcitizen

I'm using XP Home too. No idea what happened. Was opening an email and everything went black then I thought I'd lost my Raid Array but the system rebooted and got the message that AVK caused the crash. I uninstalled it and re-installed NOD 32.It's a pity because I liked the idea of 2 engines and still am willing to use it if they can find out what caused the crash but I won't use it until then. I'm disappointed that they haven't replied for 3 days now even though I'm a registered user. They replied to all my other emails very quickly and I was very happy with their support until now.

Dave

13. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Dunno, I've asked tech support several times what rev of the KAV engine the product has. No one seems to know. I've given up on this. Great idea, but I think the operation side of the business needs some work and the product could use some optimizations. I bought a license for KAV Personal Pro and might buy one for mks_vir 2k4.

14. worldcitizen

Today I sent my FOURTH email to AVK Tech Support. I attached the THREE UNANSWERED EMAILS since last week which were quite urgent. If you are on a server or using your PC for important work then I don't advise using this product in case you need support urgently because urgent support is just non-existent. So called Gold Support may as well be paper because I get no answers to my urgent emails regardless.

Dave

15. Rollinco

Rollinco Registered Member

I discovered that extendia AVK does not support Multiple users on one computer. I noticed that, on WindowsXP, when both my wife and I are logged on only my account has AVK active in the task bar. So my wife's account was unprotected. I have discontinued using this AV as I don't like the idea of no protection on my wifes account. I am using Panda Platinum 7 and liking it very much.

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

17. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I put down a way to get around it (Guest). Have to do all the steps involved. This is also assuming that they don't indicate anywhere in the purchase process they don't issue refunds.

18. GermanKid

GermanKid Guest

if you like multiple engine av watch cat quickheal in 1 month they will have their engine and f-prot engine in one package. right now the program stinks but it would be worth a lok when they put in second engin.,

19. Arin

Arin Registered Member

you gotta be kidding me GermanKid, from where did you got that news? IMHO Quickheal isn't bad. it has bagged the prestigious VB and Checkmark. but certainly F-Prot will put them in the charts.

20. GermanKid

GermanKid Guest

i got this direct from quickheal people they have already purchased fprot engine and defintions and version 8 of prodyuct will have fprot + there own engine for double engine format detection.

quickheal now has real bad detection it only detect itw mostly and almost no other real threat so that make it not good product for most people. the heusitsitcs in it are very poor right now too they dont really even work.

i own cat quickheal but dont use becauese of bad detection it miss well over 20 trojan-virus on my pc this year already. so i talk to quick folks asking for money back and they say wait version 8.0 and see and if i still not like it and get money back then if I dont. that they buy fprot engine already and put in soon and already begin work on doing this. i dont care what awards they won, this product misses the majority of real threats out there in my tests and real use condition

soprry english not the best i try to put into translate but its not always work goods

21. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear GermanKid, don't worry about your English. it is fine and i understand what you're saying. thanks for that piece of information. Quickheal reminds me of Norman but its not that good. with F-Prot i'm sure they'll fix a lot of issues. hey why don't you register with this forum. Welcome GermanKid, now you know who greeted you first....lol.

22. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

Why eXtendia Pro before KAV? Today findings.

Virus check with eXtendia AntiVirus AVK Pro

Version 11.0.4
    Virus signatures of 24.06.2004
    Start time: 24.06.2004 15:44
    Engine(s): KAV engine (AVK 14.0.1250), RAV engine (RAV 12.0.353)
    Heuristic: On
    Packed files: On
    System areas: On

Check system areas...
    Check selected directories and files...
    Object: "NetBUSPro201.zip" in path "D:\Check". Status: "Virus detected". Virus: "Backdoor:Win32/Netbus_2_1, Backdoor:Netbus.2_01 (exact) (2x) (RAV engine)"
    Analysis complete: 24.06.2004 15:44
    1 files checked
    1 infected files detected
    0 suspected files detected

Two is always better than one.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  23. GermanKid

GermanKid Guest

are you say KAV5 wouldnt find this threat only avk with rav part would?

24. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear GermanKid, if KAV failed to detect it, there is a good reason behind it. before the PRO version Netbus used silent install method and it was detected as a trojan. now from the PRO version it doesn't install without the user's knowledge. its a legitimate software now. so i'm sure KAV5 won't detect it. if RAV detects it then its bad for RAV. note that the prior versions of Netbus are all detected by almost all AVs and its a quite old trojan.

dear Firefighter, i hope you'll find a better example next time. anyway can you give us the exact version of the AVP engine your AVK is using? please don't say 14.0.o_O as its the AVK notation. you can get the AVP version from the scanning module in the AVK directory.

25. Firefighter

To GermanKid from Firefighter!

I have only eXtendia AVK Pro just now in my PC, and I couldn't check that file with KAV Online Scan, because that file was over 1 Mb.

Here is the BitDefender 7.2 Free report.

D:\Check\BackDoor.Netbus.210.zip=>Net BUS Pro 2.01/Netbuspro210.exe=>(CAB Sfx o)=>\data1.cab=>(IShield Module 0) Infected Backdoor.Netbus.2.1.A
    D:\Check\BackDoor.Netbus.210.zip=>Net BUS Pro 2.01/Netbuspro210.exe=>(CAB Sfx o)=>\data1.cab=>(IShield Module 6) Infected Trojan.AOL.PWSteal
    D:\Check\BackDoor.Netbus.210.zip=>Net BUS Pro 2.01/Netbuspro210.exe=>(CAB Sfx o)=>\data1.cab=>(IShield Module 7) Infected Backdoor.Netbus.2.0.B

and the same file with MKS VIR 2004.

D:\Check\BackDoor.Netbus.210.zip:Netbuspro210.exe <- FOUND : Trojan.Netbus.2_1_1.Install No action

I have renamed that sample afterwards, but the infection was the same.

When I scanned my 1378 infected samples before that infected file, eXtendia KAV and KAV 5.0.121 scored the same.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.