My review of eXtendia AVK Antivirus System.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kobra, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Well I guess I'm old school when it comes to gaming, since I shut all processes down to maximize framerate. Then again, I was doing league play and you needed that edge, even with a uber fast system.

Again, I'll say it... this is a dual engine product. Expecting CPU utilization on par with a single engine product is simply fallacious. It doesn't work that way. Not to mention, the primary engine is KAV which we all know is fairly resource intensive. So let's keep expectations realistic. All in all, given the fact that it is a KAV based dual engine, I think it's pretty light on resources.

One theory has been tossed out there is that for the On-Access scan, if you change settings from Auto File Recognition to All Files, it seems to work better with HT systems. I haven't seen it on mine but you can give it a try.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'll pass, thanks! :cool:

3. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

Does this really use alot less resources then NOD32?

4. rug

rug Guest

I dont think anything uses less resources than nod32. Notepad probably uses more resources.

5. tazdevl

F-Prot.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

tazdevl is right, no AV uses less resources than F-Prot. its resource usage can be compared with Notepad......LOL.

7. Rollinco

Rollinco Registered Member

Ok, I uninstalled the eXtendia firewall and reinstalled the Mcafee firewall express plus and ran a manual scan of my system and now the CPU usage is between 2 - 4% which is great. Hopefully it will stay that way.:D Fingers crossed!!

8. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

Usually the two processes takes around 2.000 KB each one only, and can vary. The more higher I´ve seen is 8.000 KB one, and less than 2.000 KB the other process. NOD32 stays at lower rates, but some times the sum reaches the 13.000 KB or so...

backfolder.-

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  9. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Its not the percent of RAM or CPU cycles that bothers me. Its the fact that it adds atleast 2-3 seconds to the load of most applications. I never got that kind of slow down back when ran Symantec products :eek:

10. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Whether or not the program is useful to you or not depends on how you use it. It is one of the best solutions for high risk situations but you can turn it down and get normal performance afterwards.

For example I turn it on when surfing danger areas and when I'm finished I just turn it right down and performance is much better but 2 engines are going to cost more processor cycles. Also don't forget that the program is just fairly new and I wold think they'll improve on this. For now it's worth $30 and not a loss if you decided not to use it as your fulltime AV. It makes an excellent back up scanner (2 engines) as well as an excellent choice for surfing dangerous and red light areas.

I'm not sorry at all I bought it but I can see your point about being slow to load applications. TDS 3 also has a similar affect. With TDS 3 I always find that programs load much, much slower and don't like having it on all the time because it just impact performance too much and spoils my fun. Some of these programs are not good for continous use at all and should be used only for special situations. My pc flies now and I like it to be that way so I'm not gonna have TDS 3 or AVK turned on 24/7 and spoil my fun. I'd be stupid to do that. I'm only gonna use these things when I REALLY NEED THEM and that's all the look in they'll get on my pc. They can stay installed but turned off until needed. Avast is very good for normal use and doesn't affect performance at all.

Dave

Regards

Dave

11. tazdevl

Why bother having TDS3 when you have AVK? KAV is on par or better than TDS3 when it comes to trojan detection.

12. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Well, I've certainly had many samples of trojans/webdownloaders/uploaders/keyloggers etc that KAV has missed that TDS detects (and yes KAV does detect them now)....so your statement that it is on par or better is simply not true ;).

Both are GREAT for detecting trojans etc, but you just can't beat having a dedicated AT to backup your AV.....layered security.

Best regards,
    Jade.

13. tazdevl

Let's not forget vice versa as well. I'm sure being a TDS beta tester means you're totally objective on the matter. :D

It's fairly easy to go completely overboard on the security bandwagon, which I'm sure the gang from Diamond would disagree with. I do agree that if you have extremely risky computer habits, layered security makes sense. But for your average user, a decent AV, firewall and aware scanner are more than sufficient.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  14. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Yep....it does go vice versa :). Objective....well I do use both KAV and TDS respectively as my AV/AT combo :p :D.

Best regards,
    Jade.

15. tazdevl

LOL back OT, I've run across some issues with SP2, downloads not initiating or not finishing (hangs). I think this is a solid AV, the one thing that will kill it is responsiveness. Support has been responsive at times, not so responsive during others.

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I think you are being most gracious .lol They will only talk to you if you pay them .

17. Arin

Arin Registered Member

the low price is a bait and the catches are system hog and poor support. i wonder where Kobra is. he might have something to add.

18. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don’t know if people realize this but you are paying for old version of AVK with no upgrades or program updates. Basically you are paying to get virus signatures (similar to Norton yearly virus signatures subscription).

tECHNODROME

19. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  20. tazdevl

LOL nice Tetons on that Teutonic beauty.

21. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm Registered Member

Did you ever think maybe the software is not updated because it does not need to updated right now. Anyway it is the 2004 version! I am sure when they feel its not doing something it should be then they will update the software. I am sure there will be a 2005 version.

22. Technodrome

eXTENDIA 2004 (aka AVK 12) version is not as same as AVK 2004. You download virus signatures from German site and you are not allowed to update program. Any program needs update from time to time.

I tested Extendia AVK 11 ( version prior 2004) for little bit less then a year and it never offered program update. On the other hand G DATA AVK 11 offered a few program updates during this period.

tECHNODROME

23. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Technodrome from Firefighter!

In my eXtendia AVK Pro (AVK 11?), 8 months old, there is a mention.

KAV engine: AVK 14.0.1207
    RAV engine: RAV 12.0.350

Does the latest eXtendia or AVK 2004 Pro have different engines in KAV?

I think that now there is a new option in eXtendia GUI, security/performance, that I can't remember some 5 months ago!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. Technodrome

I don't have a copy of Extendia AVK 2004. But I believe it uses the same engine/s. G DATA AVK 12 does.

tECHNODROME

25. tazdevl

It is GDATA, just rebadged. Here's the version number that was pegged on an outgoing email, AVK 14.0.1187

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.