My post on broadbandreports.com

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by navalair, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navalair

navalair Registered Member

I recently posted the following on broadbandreports.com "Security" forum in response to a NOD32 user's post (he was unhappy with NOD32's ability to locate a version of the Klez virus/worm). A couple of nice fellows from N.Z. suggested that he (the original poster) and I submit our posts to "the NOD32 forum." Of course neither of us knew there existed such a forum because wilderssecurity.com is (was) a well-kept secret. I just registered to use Wilders forums today (1/1/03) and am reposting my comments here hoping to receive some useful (and kind) responses to my problems contacting Eset by email. My thanks in advance to any respondent who can provide useful answers (that would be just about any answer). My original post from broadbandreports.com follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used NOD32 for approximately one year and am satisfied with its performance, especially its ability to warn against possible wormy email attachments (did this twice and it was correct). However, I am less than satisfied with Eset's support. Two examples: 1) I sent an email to eset@eset.com, which is the only source I have found to discuss problems with NOD32, asking for help with a specific question. I received an offhanded answer that had little to do with my question together with a brusque warning about using NOD32 on a second home computer connected to this one by LAN. I had been quite candid in my email request for help by describing that I could not update NOD32 on the networked computer online, so the Eset respondent gave me a hard time for even having it on our other networked computer, but failed to tell me how to update it. 2) Two months ago I sent another email to Eset asking for information on "hyberfil.sys" and why I always get an "error opening" message for this file when scanning. I have yet to receive an answer to this question from the Eset email representative.

Can you tell me please, sig, where is the "NOD32 support forum" that you mention? I was unaware there was such a forum, and it must be better than sending unanswered emails to some office suite in Coronado, CA.

2. ;)
    Hello, I am a regular user just like yourself, not working for ESET..

For some reason, when ESET gets that question, they seem to ignore it. I have had better response than you, however. I've never had any real problems with support. I've had problems with the support from other AV companies, whose own software casued their own problems...

That error on hiberfil is perfectly normal. I get it too. Their are some programs that AV programs, from what I hear, cannot access and these files can't get infected anyway.. I've enclosed a screenshot. If you want a more technical explanation, one of the guys from ESET will have to provide that.

Hope that takes care of that for the moment...

Attached Files:

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Yeah, getting ESET support has been a chore in the past but my understaning is they have every intention to improve that part of their business.

I can't answer the network business but maybe I can put a little light on the file question. Hyberfil.sys is where the system mem goes when the system is "at rest". Therefore it is a file "in use" and locked by the system so it can not be scanned -- by *any* av, is my understanding. Since it is locked by the system the instant it comes into use, it also can't be infected!

The ESET guys will have to fill in the blanks -- probably after the weekend is over.

HTH
    Phil

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I get "error opening files" messages on two files when I start a NOD32 scan.They are listed in Straight Shooter's post also.The two files are hiberfil and pagefile.I understand that both files relate to system memory.I don't worry about those error messages,I haven't had any problems with NOD32.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Navalair,

Eset support can be obtained over on this forum, as well as by contacting local distributors using email. In case you - or any NOD32 user for that matter - feels on ocassion email support isn't sufficient, don't hesitate to drop me an email. There's even a hotline for real urgencies to Eset.

regards.

paul

6. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

As for the support, ever tried the obvious http://www.nod32.com/support/suprequest.htm or http://www.nod32.com/support/support.htm? And by the way, I personally'd ask for support on support@nod32.com or from your local distrubutor..... In no way on eset@eset.com, which may be redirected to /dev/null :D

Regarding the network instalation tute, grab it from http://www.nod32.com/download/manual.htm. Tute is writtten quit idiot proof....

"hyberfil.sys" is a system file opened by windows itself in excusive mode - that means nothing else can open the same file. Nothing to be worried about.... The dislayed error is quit normal. Maybe eset folk will supress its displaying in the future version.

7. navalair

navalair Registered Member

My sincere thanks to all of you for your excellent comments. I now know there is valuable informaton available on this forum, and I have fortunately been the recipient of much of it thanks to you very helpful forum members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.