My niece needs NOD32!

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Straight Shooter, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Before I begin, I want to say to Rodzilla., I still can't get that word out of my mind... "codswallop"...

What does it mean? LOL..

Okay, here's my situation.. My lovely but slightly airheaded niece just came back from college today... Brought her computer with her. Personally I think it should be used as a doorstop..LOL.. Laptop, 3 years old, celeron, with 16 megs of Ram.. Now you see what I am dealing with..This girl has a tendency to never have any money and can't spend more than $40 for an AV.. LOL.. (By extreme peruasion...LOL)

6 gig hard drive.. I'm sure it's operating at an antique speed. It had Win 98. but she had a crash and the computer tech guy who fixed it for her replaced it with Win 2000 (actually, I think it's better)...
    Try putting an antivirus baby on that thing... LOL.. I downloaded NOD32 from Rod's site, the Beta 5 trial.. Now here is what's happening...

When I turn the computer on, it's evident that NOD32 is slowing it down. It takes almost 4 minutes for the screen to stop flickering and freezing.. Then finally it kicks in.. When it works, it works fine..No issues here.. This girl goes on every bad site out there LOL... Is it better for me to uninstall the beta and use the present version? Will the present version be available after the beta goes gold? Maybe I should dwonload the Win 95 beta version? Before I do anything, I thought I would just post.. Due to her "limited funds"., LOL., I am going to tell her to have NOD32 and GAV, which is free.. just as a scanner only (trojans, and to detect the Kazaa, and so on..)

Thanks

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

She runs Windows 2000 on computer with 16 MBs? LOL! U serious? :eek: :D

SS you got a problem!

Technodrome

3. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Before I begin, I want to say to Rodzilla., I still can't get that word out of my mind... "codswallop"...

> What does it mean? LOL..

It's a polite way of saying "cow patties". :)

> Okay, here's my situation.. My lovely but slightly airheaded niece just came back from college today... Brought her computer with her. Personally I think it should be used as a doorstop..LOL.. Laptop, 3 years old, celeron, with 16 megs of Ram.. Now you see what I am dealing with..This girl has a tendency to never have any money and can't spend more than $40 for an AV.. LOL.. (By extreme peruasion...LOL)

> 6 gig hard drive.. I'm sure it's operating at an antique speed. It had Win 98. but she had a crash and the computer tech guy who fixed it for her replaced it with Win 2000 (actually, I think it's better)...
    Try putting an antivirus baby on that thing... LOL.. I downloaded NOD32 from Rod's site, the Beta 5 trial.. Now here is what's happening...

> When I turn the computer on, it's evident that NOD32 is slowing it down. It takes almost 4 minutes for the screen to stop flickering and freezing.. Then finally it kicks in.. When it works, it works fine..No issues here.. This girl goes on every bad site out there LOL... Is it better for me to uninstall the beta and use the present version? Will the present version be available after the beta goes gold? Maybe I should dwonload the Win 95 beta version? Before I do anything, I thought I would just post.. Due to her "limited funds"., LOL., I am going to tell her to have NOD32 and GAV, which is free.. just as a scanner only (trojans, and to detect the Kazaa, and so on..)

16MB is barely enough RAM to run W2k. If the tech was feeling kind and installed all the Microsoft critical updates, she may have 811493 installed, which could be the cause of the slowdown. (It mainly affects XP, but we've had reports of it happening on NT/2k machines.) If this is the case it will also slow down with v1. However, one would expect the machine to be slow at loading all apps ... not just at bootup time.

Apart from that I have no idea what else in NOD32 could cause a massive slowdown at bootup. Maybe some of the other guys can shed more light on it.

Edit:
    As Technodrome pointed out, the problem may be simply that 16MB isn't really enough RAM to run 2k at anything like an acceptable speed. Maybe the OS is spending a long time figuring out which bits of itself it can or can't load on startup. :)

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have a customer that managed to get Win2k running on a P166, slower than a dead rat. We were totally amazed. MS reccomends minimum 64MB of RAM, in reality 128 is minimum and 256 is what you should start with.

Cheers :D

5. I double checked and it is 16 megs! The amazing thing is, it doesn't run that slow with NOd32 not in it.. but I think the only thing to do is take it to the local tech guy here and figure out if more memory could be added.. That'll be my niece's early birthday present..lol... It isn't Nod32 or Windows, it's the memory.. Thanks out there..

See, I told you she was a beaut! :D

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I am not believing the 16meg RAM..on a three year old..that might be what is on the board from the manufacture only but certainly either the RAM chip went out..or it is just not displaying the full monty..have you tried to flash the bios to see if that will give you the rest in readout ? If you would tell me the make and model number on that wallop I would like to look it up.

Since she is running win2k the first thing I would do is install XP antispy since it is free and does now work on win2000..then I would take everything I could out of the startup that preloads..even the M$ office stuff..and then ask the gal if there are any other proggies that are on that laptop that are installed..but she never really uses.

after that make sure it does not have any preinstalled AV that is out of date..if so clean it all off.

After you have done that..if you need help post a shot of the sartuplist.exe of that laptop some place in this forum and let others take a look at it.

Then I would start thinking about an AV after a download and run of spybot S and D.

I think you do know where to download the startuplist.exe or the hijack this thing.

Good luck on that thing ;) and while you are at it maybe some nice person can fix up your new Avatar to fit the space...I have been worrying that you will lose that fine head of hair if it keeps rubbing on the top edge of the frame.

:D :D

7. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Maybe thats what happened to my once luscious locks!
    And I've always blamed my dad! ;)

8. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Well we fixed Shooter's Avatar with this thread where he can get a replacement;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=9191

Now if we can just figure out the best way to help on the laptop..he can install NOD and know she will be well protected.

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I totally agree.

Processor speed can help compensate for a bit of a memory deficiency, but not that much! :)

10. Well, first of all, I have a feeling Something is not Kosher in her computer. I had a hard time believing she only had 16 megs ram myself.. I haven't seen that kind of ram since 1995..LOL!

I am going to test the baby and see what the story is.. I have a feeliing she has either 32 or 64 megs.. and something is displaying it as such.. If there's a virus out there. she'll get it...

It could also be her ex-boyfriend's tech guy is like this... :p

I'll work on it tonight.. Thanks for your help...

S. Shooter... ;)

11. MegaHertz

MegaHertz Registered Member

Straight Shooter,

I recommend running the Belarc Advisor from crucial. It gives you a very detailed html report that will tell you almost anything that you need to know about the laptop. You can get it from here: http://www.belarc.com/Programs/Crucial/advisor.exe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.