My luv affair with Avira is over.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

We've seen the eye before but never for long.;) :ninja:

2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Stop It! :rolleyes: For Gods Sake pick one and stick with it, your making ~snip~ with All this constant swapping and changing :p I have to say though, I also have a NOD licence like trjam, but I also have this 2 year thingie with NIS 2007 that I stumbled across, in fact I have two 2 year subscriptions to NIS 2007 one to repeat after the other expires :p As you know, Norton Licences only commence from the time you Activate, so this second Licence will be installed in like :cautious: 2009 If I stick with Norton that long :shifty: Having said that, Norton Internet Security 2007 is a damn side faster than what it was in 2004 & 5 & 6 Versions, It runs Light as a feather on my Windows Vista Ultimate, and Norton AV Scored some BIG Points in AVComparitives in Februarys results. Norton with the Added protection os Spy Sweeper is Highly adequate in my opinion to protect The Average Joe's PC, unless you do ~snip~ like intentionally installing High risk Stuff :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007
  3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello DVD+R

Don't be so angry with users who switch their protection app frequently. They simply enjoy playing with "toys for big boys", and testing them. Doesn't we all?

Hello OP trjam

Avira Suite is not quite developed as it should be IMO. AV is great, but firewal is prety much in embryo phase. It may well be that the implementation of AV with that firewall in a suite produces an ill effect on AV, and this could be an answer for inactive Mail Guard.
    Try the Personal Free version, I had no problems with it whatsoever, in fact I recommended it to few of my noob friends, and it serves them well. Even my old man is using it for a few months already without a single issue (except some comercial ads in the beginning), which is quite an achievement, he always screws something up :rolleyes:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

We are dating again, sig says it all.:rolleyes:

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

That pheromone plugin seems to work again. :D

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what happened to nod32?

didnt even get to the eye stage?

--------
    hated avira only yesterday evening, and already back to it, *lol*

its like a drama, and i shall wait for the next episode :D

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I just went back to the AV, hell, I have a 2 year license so why waste it. Nod has about 8 months left. I am keeping my current sig until Eset comes out with their suite. Aviras firewall is just to damn buggy for me.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im not having a go at you trjam, :)

but damn, your all over the place with av's, and i honestly believe you dont know what you want :D

plus, whatever other AV can get such a good AV avatar as mine *lol*

the irony is, im scared of spiders and HATE EM'

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Exactly, its like an Episode from The Young and the Restless :D I'd like to know which is which :p

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I know what I dont want.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Did you see the movie Spiderman.:cool:

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I predict your next switch will be next week.. :D

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good luck with what ever av your using Trjam
    its like the sitcom friends.
    Rachel: i love ross
    Rachel: i hate ross
    rachel:i love ross
    :D :D
    lodore

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

bit off topic, but wasnt he on a break? *lol*

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lmao yes.
    i was watch series 6 today thou.
    its on E4 everyday atm
    offtopic end
    lodore

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The short date is over. All my email sent to my home is forwarded to my work email. I have seen alot of late not show up at home, thanks to Avira, but show up at work. I thought it might be due to my setting of delete with medium settings in Avira. So I changed it to interactive and it still happens. Screw it. Avira can keep my 2 year license. Trialing Bitdefenders AV and they have made some improvements. HTTP scanning is a lot faster then in beta. The Young and Restless will be deciding now between Bitdefender, Eset, and F-Prot. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

What was nice was to see Prevx not complain about Bitdefender, the way it does about Agravir.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know it wouldnt last long :D

im currently giving the released version of norton 360 a try, as its vista compat.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Actually Norton is good except in its spyware detection.

19. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I find this entire thing about switching avs constantly rather pointless, but calling a program by a name such as "Agravir" is pretty childish.

From reading everything, you have absolutely no complaints at all in reference to the antivirus. All of your complaints seem to be due to the firewall and spam filtering. So why don't you just use the antivirus only, and substitute in a better firewall and anti-spam?

NOD32 doesn't yet offer a suite, and the same goes for F-Prot. So I don't see what you will gain switching to those avs, seeing as though you need to pay for licences (I know you still have an 8 month nod licence, but whatever is left on the antivir is longer).

Now, if you preferred security suites, then switching to bitdefender if you liked their suite would be plausible, but why don't you just keep antivir as your av, and find a better firewall and anti-spam?

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am using only the AVs of each product, Sir. I agree it may be childish, but I do expect to find as close to perfection as I can. When I do, then hopefully my insight to that product will help others. I am not ignorant. I have particpated on betas for just about all of these products and agree that my name calling is not called for, and will edit my previous post. At least, I have the time, and the finances to do this. I do not wish this for anyone else to try, but like I said, I feel my continued quest has a valid purpose.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i wouldnt care about being called childish, most people dissagree with what i have to say most of the time anyway on here, especially when i rant on about my dr.web :D

but i try to stick to a tried and tested method rather than hearsay. :p

22. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

I have the free version and have no complaints. I don't use a firewall right now as I'm behind a router, and Avira AV has always been prompt in detecting threats. I also have the mail scanning switched off as I use gmail only.

I was thinking of buying the Avira suite but maybe I shouldn't bother?

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Trjam should claim for its Guinness world record :D

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well. F-Prot is very good. So it looks like Bitdefender still has a few old issues that surfaced real quickly. So I am leaving the forums for 30 days, to prove my sanity, and will return with what I feel is the best AV for me. See you folks in a month.:) Take care of Chris and Lodore and I care about all here, you are really good people.

25. Seer

Seer Registered Member

To Defcon:

Hello. You should check carefully what benefits offer the full licence (future upgrades). Check my post #28 in this thread, the AV is the same in both versions. The suite offers several other tools which, IMO, need serious improvements if Avira want their suite to be competitive. If you're after a suite to suite you :)D ) you have much better alternatives to Avira's.

Regards

to ALL POSTERS:

OP trjam is having so much fun testing his AVs and posting here :D . I wish I was in his place, installing and uninstalling and imagining I'm some real AV tester who writes the reports to his favorite forums. So please, let's give him some support! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.