My HDD is making a grinding sound.

Discussion in 'hardware' started by cheater87, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

This just started today. What could be causing thiso_O

2. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

That could very well be a sign of an impending (fatal) head-crash. If your drive is still functioning, create an disk image (or clone) ASAP!!!

Also, be sure that the air-intake for HDD cooling is not impaired. Sometimes there will be a clogged filter.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Well, that can't be good. A restorable backup could become quite useful very soon...

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Do an image or backup immediately, and get ready for the fire.... :eek:

5. cheater87

I looked into imaging software and stuff but it seems confusing on how to use to me.

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Cheater, this is your FAN ! Clean it, please ...

Thank you, PROROOTECT

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The time to look into imaging software is before you have a problem when everything is running smooth. According to Prorootect it's the fan, and you dodged a bullet if he's right. :)

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Heed advise of previous posters.
    Do NOT use this machine unless you have no option.
    Step 1: Identify the problem. Open case and find source of noise. Hopefully it is the fan as PROROOTECT suggested.
    If you have another machine available, use it to DL and learn about imaging soft.s.
    IF noise is the HD, you don't have much time.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Agreed 100%

Pull the side cover. Get up close and eyeball the CPU Fan to make sure it's not that. They can rattle, whine, and otherwise sound like the PC is coming apart, IF that's what it is.

On the other hand, if you can detect by both listening to the hard drive and sometimes placing your hand on it to check for heat or abnormal vibration, by all means and with dispatch, get that drive cloned or imaged over to another connected Secondary/Slave drive if it's getting ready to malfunction, becaue like's already been mentioned, it won't be long before it locks up for good, and you don't want all that data & programs locked into a device you can no longer access, thats for sure.

Hope it's just the fan though. I've replaced a few myself that sounded like the whole system was falling apart, replaced it, and all was normal again.

EASTER

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

11. cheater87

I went over to a neighbor's house and he blew an air duster into the fan area after dismantling it. Its going great so far. :)

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, while your situation had a nice outcome, I had a harrowing experience here last night and the past week or so. I have a brand new PC, 2 months now, and a few weeks ago, my HD started making whining noises, pretty nasty at times too. It was doing it on and off, intermittent, but it didn't sound good, and it was getting slowly worse. Then came the BIOS warnings to backup and replace the HD yesterday. So I did that last night, took an image of the main partition and the restore partition with Clonezilla, just in time too. The heads were starting to hit the platter and Vista was running like molasses. LOL.... Anyway, got a replacement HD, slapped it in, restored the image, and all is well again. But had I not had that image and 2nd HD, it would have meant a lot more work reinstalling Vista from CD and getting drivers etc. Clonezilla saved my bacon... :)

13. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

cheater87,
    Hopefully you have learned something from these posts. You are way past due in getting prepared for such an emergency. You need an image backup and you need it fast. Now is not the time to put it off any longer! You just had a near miss. You may not get any warning before it fails for real!

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Blowing air into the fan area, was a short term fix, creating a longer term mess. You blew the dust inside the case. You really need to open it up and get the inside cleaned out.

15. cheater87

I'm going to get an external HDD from amazon and need help learning how to use clonezilla.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  16. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi cheater very wise decision,Also note you may find some helpful user guides like the one GroverH did in his sig for True Image you Should read and read and ask questions when In doubt when your ready to image and be sure to test it before disaster strikes.Do not wait until it does to find out if your image will work.You will need to test it image restore.I recently learned my self with paragon I made a bootable disk and restore from external with success but it was back to my original not a new one HDD Dam If I learned and still learning any one can do it. Best of luck to ya

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I hope this 'dismantling' doesn't mean you took the hard drive apart... :blink:

That's not good at all to do...

If it was making a sound it never made before, then the drive is probably going bad. All hard drives I buy, when I get them, I get use to the sound they make, so that if later they make any odd sounds that I never noticed when it was new can be chalked to a possible problem.

So get your EAR down there next time and get use to the sound of a good drive, so when it starts making FUNKY sounds you'll know it's time to ditch it... ;)

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It was the fan.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Clonezilla was just an example of something that has worked well for me, but honestly, I can't say that it has the best or easiest interface for an inexperienced user. You may want to check out some other alternatives, and many of the paid apps are excellent and quite a bit easier to use. Just trying to give you an honest heads up on it. Some people find it non-intuitive and somewhat difficult to use and figure out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.