My Dial-up started, Who did that?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by CompilerBacter, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CompilerBacter

CompilerBacter Registered Member

I have a dial-up internet connection and sometimes it starts by itself. I suspect this is NOD32 looking for updates but this got me thinking. If such a thing happens, what is the best way to find out which application launched it? I have AMN TM but tracing the parent of rnaapp.exe (assumed dial up process), leads me to VSMON (ZAP). I know that there must be a thread in the OS linking a launced app back to one that launched it but how to find it? Win98SE.

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

To start off you should disable any kind of auto-dialing, and have it wait at the prompt with your username, password and number your dialing. If you prefer you can even have it not bring up the dialer unless you want to connect so your not botherd when programs want to connect at random.

There are some others out there, but here is a program that might be able to help you find out which program is trying to establish a internet connection.
    Port Explorer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.