My dad is letting me install free anti virus software on his work PCs.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cheater87, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Yes of course, what a good advice with solid bases :D :D
    If you use MSE you are savy and smart xD jajaja

Could you tell me any advantage of MSE over Comodo AV and Comodo Endpoint Security Manager?
    Do you even know what is and endpoint SM?

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I see, you are right. Then he should use Avast free.

3. guest

guest Guest

He can use whatever he want (Norton, Kaspersky, Eset...) but I think that he is looking for free solutions and avast is not free for business.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

MSE is least likely to conflict with the OS for obvious reasons. Not that Commodo ever does of course.;)

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

w/e AV or software you install on the office pc's you will immediately become the company IT guy. For obvious reasons that alone would make me run away unless I was being compensated. Family or not business is business. :argh:

6. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

That's sooo true. :ouch:

7. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Would WOT be a good thing to add on as well?

8. guest

guest Guest

9. The Hammer

10. cheater87

I'll let him know that WOT doesn't cause slow down and will help him know what sites are safe to enter and could stop a website with an infection that MSE might not have in its definitions.

11. guest

guest Guest

As far as I know MSE does not protect from malicious websites, only from the files that you download.
    Before to add WOT I would add OpenDNS, it's more transparent and you can manage the "network", or Norton DNS but you could not manage the "network".

Also if you are going to use MSE on win xp take into account that it works much better on vista or win7 at least this is the feedback that the people leave here.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
  12. cheater87

I know MSE does not block websites. I would have WOT on to block websites that could be entered that have an infection that MSE might not have in its data base so if it was entered the PC would be come infected. I'll look into OpenDNS as well.

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The reason MSE doesn't block websites is that this functionality is provided by IE. The same way it doesn't provide a Firewall, or anti-spam, etc.

14. cheater87

Oh great now I have to see if IE is up to date with the latest version haha. :doubt:

15. The Hammer

EliteKiller nailed it.
    It's not to late to quit.;)

16. atomomega

Right, MSE relies on SmartScreen which is the built-in web guard in IE. Also relies on Windows Firewall.

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

actually, if hes installing it in a business environment, there is something lost if he has to end up installing it from all the systems or if issues arise from a suite like Comodo's (which is bound to happen, ur dealing with HIPS and a sandbox that has been prone to issues in certain scenarios and software)

loss of productivity is one loss, potential loss of data is also another, etc. for a business environment, just go for something simple, without much fuss or flash to it, MSE sounds ideal to me personally, its a very simple AV that should do its job pretty well in that environment IMO

18. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Be smart and install MSE. This way nobody could ever blame you for a bad choice. You have chosen to trust the company he has trusted too...since he uses a Microsoft OS.

19. cheater87

I'm back, got MSE on my mom and dad's PC with MBAM as a back up scanner. MSE found a severe W32 trojan on my dad's PC and MBAM found 18 more objects. He doesn't know what he just got rid of them. MSE found a medium risk W32 trojan on my mom's PC and MBAM found nothing else. I have them set to do a full system scan at lunch and they will auto update before scanning.

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

probably goes against the grain but I wouldn't install any free av product on a business network,one of the things you pay for(pay extra for)with a business product is the enhanced after sales backup and the knowledge of the support staff in dealing with problems that can affect a business's running and profitability,with companies that offer separate home user and business products the support of each is normally handled by different dept's with a free product you join 1 queue ifor 1 dept!

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Microsoft did add integration with web browser protection in the latest version of MSE. And a much overhauled protection engine, as well as a network inspection system to help against network based exploits.

So any benchmark/comparison/reviews done with MSE prior to this month are a bit outdated and do not reflect it's increased performance. ;)

22. cheater87

No one wanted WOT or DNS so just a new AV and a back up scanner.

23. atomomega

that's what i was talking about.
    Or install whatever you feel like you can easily handle in case something goes wrong...
    someone will still say this is not enough... ¬¬
    this too! worth taking into consideration!

24. guest

guest Guest

We are talking only about ComodoAV, so he will not have any problem with D+ or the sandbox (yes you can install only the AV).
    Since in all the on demand test that I have seen with both, Comodo AV is better than MSE, I also found Comodo AV 4.1 more effective than MSE when I tested it.
    Taking into account that in those on demand test Comodo AV 4.1 was tested and now Comodo 5 is much better (Comodo AV 5 includes the cloud AV the improved heuristics and the cloud behavioural blocker)
    IMO I would recommend Comodo AV + Comodo end point security free over MSE.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2010
  25. simisg

simisg Registered Member

Because of my experience i can say mse has many problems ....in xp
    in working enviroments
    lately unistall it from my dentist pc
    cause mse seriously conflicts with a professional software for dentists.....!! also cause serious delays espesially in xp enviroment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.