my computer is STILL freezing up!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by phatkid, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatkid

phatkid Registered Member

what gives here, its been like 4 months since i upgraded, motherboard and P4 to HT technology
    my computer just locks up, control-alt-delete does nothing, i have to hit the power button
    the mouse will just freeze on screen, its happening more lately

i scanned for virus' and spyware and its clean

they (computer guys) transferred all my data and did a "repair" on the XP for it to work, but i am wondering if i need to uninstal and reformat (which i have no clue how to do ) or if this is the problem??

any experts PLEASE help

cory

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,

Even thought it could be a hardware issue were something could interfere?

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

3. phatkid

whatchu mean??

cory

4. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

This problem is either the result of a weak power supply, the system is overheating, or a mismatched component (CPU or memory).

If you could please post the make and model of the power supply, that would be great.

All of the fans need to checked to make sure that they are working, and that you have enough running. You will have to open up the computer case and start it up. Check all of the fans, and don't overlook the one inside the power supply.

The memory modules and the CPU have to be within the proper specifications of your motherboard. It is very easy to drop in the wrong memory modules and have them work for a little while. You need to check the specs of the memory and CPU and make sure that they are right for your board.

I do a lot of CPU upgrades. They don't always go the way you expect them. The last upgrade I did was a CPU swap from 1.7 to 2.8 gigs. The system ran fine for a few hours and then crashed hard. I ran it again for a couple of hours and SLAM! It crashed again. I knew that all the components were within spec, and the fans all worked, and that the system was not overheating. I took the CPU off and I put a tiny bit too much thermal grease on the CPU. Some of the grease oozed onto the PC board surface of the CPU and shorted some connections. I cleaned the grease and the system has run fine since.

5. phatkid77

phatkid77 Registered Member

it was a computer shop that upgraded, and i ran a monitor test to see if it was over heating, and it was not!!

i would like to think thye would put the right chip with the motherboard

phats

my board is a intel 915GAV

6. Beef/It/up

Beef/It/up Guest

The issue mentioned is being experienced by numerous computer users so be careful about centering on Hardware issues that may not exist.
    Are you noticing the Issue happening at particular websites?

By the way....are you certain that your computer has enough Memory?

Its unlikely that I will return here for a while so will wish you the best with your problem an hope you can locate the source.

7. hadi

hadi Guest

are drivers up to date. and/or
    flash (update)your BIOS

8. Close_Hauled

The 915GAV is a good board.

Here is where you can find the specifications for it:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/index.htm

Here is a list of supported processors:

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_proc.htm

Make sure that the BIOS version is correct for your processor. If you are not sure, you can always install the latest version (0444) of the BIOS. The BIOS download is here (Download and run from Windows):

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

The latest drivers for your board can be found here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...rofessional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!#DRV

Make sure that your drivers are all up to date, especially the chipset drivers. Just download and install all of these per Intels instructions.

But first, you should check the hardware issues that I mentioned before. It is simple to do and requires no changes to the system. Talk to the people who buit the system. Find out what they put in for memory. Find out who makes the power supply, and how many watts it is rated for. Open the system up and look at the fans while the system is running.

9. phatkid77

thanks alot bro...

i believe its a320w PS, not too sure

also have the geforce 6600GT pci xpress graphics card, if that matters

oh, and i remember, prescott chip.....

and standard 512mb kingston hard drive

10. Close_Hauled

11. phatkid77

son of a.........

been since my last post trying to get online again..

when i flashed, i lost my drivers to the internet, and it turns out the USB port it was plugged in is screwed now :(

somehow, by luck i got reconnected

BTW my PS is

turbo link ATX 350W supply, and both fans are working

phats

12. phatkid

well i just did a system restore to 510pm..........my computer was shutting down saying a system error occured, or someone was trying to access the damn thig..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Close_Hauled

I re-read your original post. This part should have gotten my attention earlier. Did they basically take the hard drive from an old system, with the original OS, and put it in a new system so that you would not have to re-install all of your applications?

If this is so, this is a very tricky procedure, and not for the faint of heart, or the impatient. I developed a technique for doing just this, and I have done it a lot, quite successfully. The problem is that there is a lot of careful preparation and research that needs to be done.

The first time I ever did this, I had an old Gateway with 120 MHz Pentium processor. I migrated the Gateway over to a Dell Precision with a 2GHz Pentium 4. It was a bear to do successfully. It took a few tries before I got it right. But I had a Ghosted image of the Gateway, so I was free to try as many times as I wanted. I just hope they did this right.

14. phatkid77

you are correct that is what they did......1 sytem restore later you bastage!! LOL

but i did upgrade the 512mb to a faster one as mine was 3yrs old.....but yeah
    no applications had to be reinstalled...

what to do??

15. Close_Hauled

Update all of the drivers. Especially the chipset for the motherboard. I will bet that they did not download the latest drivers. I will bet that they installed the drivers from the CDROM. That is part of the prep work that I mentions. ID all of the chipsets on the board and dowload the latest drivers.

But it is a lot trickier than that. Basically what I do is Ghost the drive. Then I go to the device manager and I remove all of the devices from the system. I then shut down the system and put the drive in the new system. Boot the system up and have all the drivers ready for when the system discovers the new hardware.

In your case, just install all of the drivers from Intel, except for the built-in video drivers. Then go to NVidia and get the latest drivers from them.

16. phatkid77

i was in the process of doin that, but the BIOS flash cooked the USB port the internet was plugged in.....then when i was msn messenging, computer shut down saying someone tried to gain access (did this 3x in a row), thus i system restored back to 5pm and all is good so far...

when i got the computer i did update the drivers for the chipset as the CDrom was a bit dated

may be incompatible drivers between the gfx card and the MBo_O

cory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.