My computer freeze after login

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Here is what I have done now:

Disconnected main drive (Samsung).
    My second drive (Seagate 250 GB) is connected.
    I put in BING cd and install BING on second drive.
    I use BING to restore an image from ext drive to second drive (Seagate)

When I restart my computer I get this message (I translated the message to English because I have Norwegian XP):

Windows can not start because this file is missing or damaged:
    <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Install a copy of the file and try again.

Maybe I should forget about this image for now, and install XP from Windows cd. And then restore the image? Or is there another solution?

Thanks

EDIT: I also tried to restore an image of clean Windows XP-install. I got the same message.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks :) Lots of info. Been searching myself too. I will have a closer look tomorrow. But all options including using Windows cd and 'R' repair XP will not work for me. I tried before. I get to the adm password, but no longer. I use XP Home. Have no adm pw.

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Approaching the process of elimination method from a different angle, or the angle of bringing chaos to order .... let's say because I don't know enough all the geek-speak nor posess the 'hand's on' that there's some issue in the way the internal's are transmitting your image data from one disk to another.

• Window's, with BING, both installed fresh on Seagate.

• Bing then image's from Seagate to WD external.

• Restore from external return's to Seagate corrupt.

Whatever is physically handling the transmission may be faulty. Some difference between the two drive's that either doesn't work, isn't configured properly, or is experiencing some unnoticed interference. From my understanding today's tower's (desktop mobo's) usually contain two controller cable's, correct? One for hooking the main drive - Seagate, and one extra should a second disk be added. This is the area of master, slave, and cable-select? Yes, still reading ....

"Reinstalled and installed the usual drivers, network, nvidia ... but now freeze."
    Usual? Aside from what you mentioned would you please detail this comment.

Let's not forget a listing of ALL peripheral's attached and if *they* came with soft.

"I use BING to restore an image from ext drive to second drive (Seagate)."
    An image created from the previous setup when the Samsung was connected?

I was contemplating this earlier though having trouble putting to word's.
    *I recall something relating 'bus/drive speed' or similar?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BIOS? As she boot's press pause to freeze, then read and return us the info. Belarc I think will require a normal boot condition to allow install. If I can't find enough info on BIOS option's be prepared to forward what can be adjusted.

Please add if you can 'which' mybook and it's page - http://support.wdc.com/

The same for Seagate if possible - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/

PS - If you end up reinstalling again, pass on imaging atm. While you're at it pass on Ccleaner, Adobe too as those item's definately are NOT needed during this stage. Nvidia sound's the logical next choice, reboot, check. Do the same with your HP soft, reboot, carefully check after mixing these two soft's. Any of your hard-drive's running their own soft THAT YOU'VE HAD INSTALLED THAT MAY STILL BE INSTALLED (I've seen Samsung has something, Seagate as well, even WD has their own)? You get this far add nod, reboot. She come's up clean, add ff, reboot (yes time consuming but ....).

Have you settled on BING as your recovery choice? Fair to say you no longer deal with anything here, correct?

PS - Concerning that HAL file I'd bet not missing .... *damaged* or, CORRUPT! Just like the image's.

S

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Computer bought 2 years ago, with only one drive. Seagate. XP Home and programs installed by the shop.

Bought external WD MyBook (6 months ago) Had a system crash 3 months ago and bought Samsung internal. Both internals connected with SATA and Power cable. Both use same power cable. I installed XP from cd on new Samsung. No raid. Installed BING. Created images of C-partition (XP and applications) Samsung. Store these images on Seagate and MyBook.

Then the problems we are dealing with now.

Disconnected Samsung yesterday. (See post 51) Install BING on Seagate. Then use BING to try to restore two different images. The first I try to restore from MyBook to Seagate. But get this hal.dll message. So I try to restore image of clean XP-install. I try to restore this from another partition on same hdd (Seagate). But same message (hal.dll). I tried just now to boot this image from safe mode. Can not enter safe mode.

Note: When I validate and restore these images (and all images, always) BING says everything is OK.

More to come.......

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

2 cd that came with computer. NVIDIA nForce4-4X series Utility CD. nVidia Chipsets, USB 2.0, audio, network, Seriel ATA, DirectX 9.0. (also some utilities I did not install like Norton AV, Adobe, Easytune, BIOS flash utility) Other CD was nVIDIA G-Force 6 series. All this has worked earlier, and I dont suspect anything wrong here.

Yes.

Not sure I understand the word "peripherals" (my English you know :) ) But:

When I look at the backside of desktop, only usual connections: Power, LCD-screen, internet connection, usb/FireWire for MyBook, I have Olympus voice recorder/mp3-player docking connected with usb. A card reader connected with usb (delivered from largest betting company in Norway. Trusted) I dont suspect anything wrong with some of this.

I have also tried booting without all these usb-stuff connected.

Thats all for this post. (Old and slow laptop, so I try not to write all in one post)

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

At startup:

Info about producer
    GA-K8NF-9 F2 (my motherboard)
    Main Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    <CPUID:0FF0 Patch ID:0041>
    Memory testing: 2097152K OK

CPU clock frequency 200 Mhz

IDE Channel 0 master: Optiarc DVD RW
    IDE Channel 5 master: ST3250........ (This is my Seagate)
    All other IDE channels says: NONE (I have not connected Samsung at the moment)

PCI Devices Listing...
    Memory controller
    SMBus Cntrlr
    USB 1.1 Host Cntrlr
    USB 2.0 Host Cntrlr
    Multimedia Device
    IDE Cntrlr
    Native IDE Cntrlr (listed twice)
    Network Cntrlr
    IEEE 1394 Host Cntrlr
    Display Cntrlr
    ACPI Controller

A lot of numbers before each listing.

8. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

WD MyBook. The second one listed on this page. (model WD5000D032)

http://websupport.wdc.com/products/pf.asp?s=search&product=wdg1c5000e

Seagate. (If the link does not work: Model ST3250823AS)

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...00000dd04090aRCRD&locale=en-US&reqPage=Legacy

Anyway I think all 3 drives is OK. Must be some kind of system problem.

Any startup files located/stored outside of Windows? Or outside of the hdd's? Because I think hdd's, BING, images are all ok. But I can be wrong, and I am not the right person to tell.

Yes and no. I believe I have everything, or almost everything backed up to MyBook. I manually copied from Samsung to MyBook. No backup tool. If I erase/format Samsung I still loose a lot of work. Many changes. MyBook today contains what my Samsung did months ago. But it is not the end of the world. Im thinking of erase/format Samsung, and start all over. I just hope that will work.

When my system was running I did make some of my folders private. After re-install (see post 10) I was denied access to these folders. So then I restored one image and entered safe mode. Still no access. Tried in safe mode to make these folders not private but could not find where to do that. Maybe this is not possible from safe mode. This is my only concern as to erase Samsung. Those folders are also on MyBook. I dont know if they are made private there too. I hope not. But I dont know if it is worth paying attention to this right now. I deal with it when I get there. Must be some "un-lockers" out there.

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Just had a look at this link again.

There were some info on boot.ini.

From my post 27:

As I understand the "1" means first partition. And disk(0) is first hdd. So this should be working also on Seagate because Seagate right now is first and only hdd. And XP restored to first partition. So I guess nothing wrong with this boot.ini. Same as stated by Ronjor in post 28.

But wait a second. The last part: noexecute=optin is not included in an example of a standard boot.ini running XP I read by following the links. Anyone know if this is supposed to be there or not? (probably supposed to be there but I'm getting paranoid/desperate :D )

I still work to find a solution, but if not found before, or during the weekend I think I just go for a complete format/reinstall. And trust that I will have access to all my files on ext MyBook. Because if this thread goes on I will find myself "upgraded" from Regular to Frequent poster :D :D :D

And this is very time consuming and I have a job and a family to take care of.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I personally would rebuild the drives one step at a time. There is surely a conflict either in the drivers, some of the software programs, or you are having a hardware failure of some sort.

If the drives are okay, and they appear to be, that leaves software and/or some other piece of hardware.

Reinstalling backups doesn't appear to be working. If you have the licenses for purchased software, there should be no problem reinstalling those programs.

The freeware programs can be installed anytime.

If all else fails, have a qualified tech look at your motherboard, memory, and so on.

11. GlobalForce

Confusing Tepe, confusing. I agree enough time wasted. Sorry I'm not sure what to try other than what I think I would attempt in your place. I'd killdisk the seagate, boot xp cutting a small partition to get in quickly, then cut another one from inside xp's disk management in preparation for a test image by bing. Keep anything that wasn't part of your original setup except bing out of the picture. I've recently read something about having BIOS auto-detect the drive should you encounter problem's with what I've previously voiced, though shouldn't be cause for concern at this time.

From reading through some of your history here I personally wouldn't sweat xp's handling of drive letter's. You can have a go with wilbur's method at a later time. And that boot.ini item relate's to DEP, that's all and nothing to bother with atm.

Thought's?

S

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Nothing to worry about. It's the entry related to DEP:
    I'd bet for a hardware problem, which is corrupting your files. It may be a memory problem, a damaged cable, a bad PSU, a broken motherboard.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

14. doormattus

doormattus Registered Member

I belive i got the same problem as you...My computer also freeze after login, but not in safe mode. I've reinstalled windows several times, and the problem is still there. I got the same GA-K8NF-9 motherboard, Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT, AMD ath. 3500+ and bought my pc 2 years ago at a norwegian netstore...What is this problem? Virus or hardware or something? Im really confused...

15. GlobalForce

Welcome doormattus,

You don't also have a Seagate internal and a WD mybook, or do you? One internal or two?
    Are you here in safe mode on this box you describe?

And like that, they're gone! Your AMD's are slightly different but maybe ...?
    Either of you two contact the folk's in charge of producing these unit's?
    We have a link for their support page?

They're back! :D

S

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  16. doormattus

No seagate nor WD mybook, but I got 2 internal...And im currently using some other computer.

17. GlobalForce

Two internal the same manufacturer or different?
    Your problem's start after adding the new one or particular piece of soft?

S

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks to all of you :)

Sorry for my late reply. (Work, come home from work and still more work to do at home, then family. Only got an hour or two before I go to bed. I hope I have more time this weekend)

Terabyte - Not e-mailed them yet. But I think I will use laptop and stepfathers mail account to contact them. Give them a link to this thread.

Thank you guys for answer to boot.ini question (no-execute=optin) Nice to know.

Malware problem - I dont think so, but could be.

Hardware problem - Yes I think this is possible. (See my next post). Computer was delivered with 1 GB Ram. Later I add 1 GB Ram, excactly the same type/model. But this has worked fine. If some kind of hardware problem I would not know how to find out.

BING - Is known to be reliable. I still trust it to be. But of course you'll never know for sure.

Killdisk Seagate - I have to think about it. Seagate or Samsung. If I killdisk Seagate I loose some images, but no other important data, because I have my personal data on Samsung and MyBook. Personal data on Samsung are up to date. If I loose this I still have most of it on MyBook, but that would leave me with a lot of work to do. But not end of the world. (Soon weekend, and I dont work weekends, only do some work at home. So this weekend it is time for action, not only words :D )

19. GlobalForce

OK Tepe :D;) weekend sound's good. :cool:

S

20. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

VERY INTERESTING. Thank you doormattus.

You are Norwegian like me? Same motherboard, and also GeForce 6600 GT. I bet you read a pc-review at DinSideData.no. And I bet your computer was delivered from Mamoz.no ?? Please confirm.

I think I'm going to contact the people at Mamoz. I have been in contact with them before (not after this problem). Could be interesting.

21. doormattus

Different manufacturers...One western digital 250gb , and one's hitachi 320 or so. I havn't installed any hardware recently, but software im more uncertain about...I guess i installed some downloaded games recently.
    It was delivered by Netshop unfortunately... Yeh, we read the same review at dinside.no

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Since there's the risk of corrupting your personal/valuable data, I would do a copy of the content of the Mybook drive to a friend's/relative's computer prior to touching your data in your own computer.

23. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I sent a mail to Terabyte support (not the newsgroup, public email adress required. Whats it all about?). I asked them to read this thread.

I also visited Gigabyte.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/

I provided all requested info and a very short description. And asked them to read this thread.

Dont know what to expect, but if any response I let you know.

I did call Mamoz (where I bought computer). No answer. (Maybe I try to call them again. And maybe I call Netshop too. But I think a reply from Gigabyte would be more important/helpful)

Also sent PM to doormattus. Asked for more info.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  24. oceang

oceang Registered Member

Tepe2, this same problem happened to me as well around June 18 to June 20.

If you look at your post from June 22 12:55, you say that the last things you saw start were Wuauclt.exe and wmiprvse.exe. That was also the case for me. I did a lot of google searching and found that there are numerous reports of this issue occurring and the workaround is toi enter safe mode and disable the windows automatic updating service.

I did this and I no longer have the problem. However I now no longer have access to the windows updating service and do not know how to get it working again.

I am hoping this is a Microsoft issue and that one day it will get sorted out. Everey few days, I turn windows updating back on to see if the problem is still there and as of today it is.

Apolgies for the lack of technical detail from me, I am not a techo. But have a read of the link below. This is what I followed to sort out my problem.

http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2006/09/thawing-xp-system.html

25. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

THAAANK YOOUUU SOOOOOOOO MUCH! OCEANG

I can not believe it! I think this is it. When I first read your post I thaught: Hmm....well....no it cant be. I followed your link. And I thaugt NO this is not my problem, because there were things unsimilar to my problem. When my computer hang up, it did not look like it should be ok again no matter how long I wait. And I also once or twice tried to stop this process whit taskbar. But could not.

Tonight I decided to erase Seagate hdd. First I copied the image-files located on this hdd to Samsung. When I first read your post, I had disconnected Samsung. I was ready to erase. But could not download killdisk to floppy disc on old laptop. Dont know why, and does not matter. Old laptop has no cd-writer only read. So I decided to wait until tomorrow.

Should I bother to change hdd connections once again just to try what you suggested, when I really did not believe it should work? No believe, but I had hope! I tried. And so far it seem to work!

I have not tried to restore any image yet, but I think that will work too, if I boot into safe mode first and shut the f**k down the automatic windows update.

Me, then doormattus and now you oceang. Could be many more. Thanks to you we all know how to deal with it. At least if you visit wilders :D

Advice to other with same problem, if any: When you have turned off Windows update, through safe mode, controlpanel as oceang was so kind to tell us. Please do the following: Disconnect internet cabel, and as soon as you can after login, bring up task manager and keep your eyes on it, all the time for several minutes. Look for wuauclt.exe. When I logged in it popped up in task manager after several minutes. I disabled it as fast as I could.

I hope this is enough, or is there anything else to make sure wuauclt.exe is shut down, and will not come back?

If you see my last post I sent pm to doormattus. No reply yet. I HOPE YOU COME BACK HERE TO SEE THE LIGHT DOORMATTUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.