My ATI Home 10 can't decide if it's a trial or purchased version

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Teffy, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teffy

Teffy Registered Member

I downloaded and installed the trial version of True Image Home 10. After a while, I uninstalled it and rebooted. Then, I installed a Home 10 that I had purchased and downloaded from Newegg. When I run ATI Home 10 now, I get a message window which says:

"The Trial version of Acronis True Image Home is fully operational but works only for 15 days."
    and I am offered three buttons: try, buy, or cancel.

Yet, when I choose "Try" and choose "About" under the Help menu, it shows the serial number I entered when I installed the version I purchased. Also, I created a Rescue Disk and used it to boot and then create a backup.tib which I know cannot be done with the trial. Is it really going to stop working in a few days? If so, how can I prevent this?

Thanks for your help.

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You have to uninstall the 'trial version' but must have both serial numbers when you re-install the paid version.The startup disk should work from trial program though , I believe. At least mine does from version 9 but now I have version 10. Good luck

3. Teffy

Teffy Registered Member

Hmmm, what do you mean *both* serial numbers? I don't recall but one from Newegg, which is what I used when installing the purchased version I downloaded from Newegg.

And, yes, the rescue startup disk I made from the trial version did boot, and let me choose many parameters for creating a backup, but the "Proceed" button to start the backup was greyed out.'

Teffy

4. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Mine did , I think-have heard other people on here say that.I think EACH version has a serial no. ' Unless I misunderstood it but you can't use the trial version restore; I couldn't anyway.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

I would un-install whatever Acronis is installed. If you're comfortable working with Registry, I would also go looking there and remove any mention of Acronis. Then, I would go looking for residue in the program files or common files and delete any temp folders.

If you bought the full stand-alone version of 10, then you have only the one serial number. If you bought the upgrade version, then you will also need serial number from prior purchased version.

Register your serial number before installing. After registering, then download the latest build of V10. Re-install the new downloaded update. Also create a new Rescue CD.

6. Teffy

Teffy Registered Member

Go GroverH! I did as you suggested, and have no more 'trial version' pop-ups, and my new rescue CD has an option for split size. Yippie!

I am getting prompts at system startup asking for drivers for 2 unknown devices. What little property info there is on them does contain the word Acronis in one. But, that is a problem for another day.

Thanks alot!!

7. xplanes

xplanes Registered Member

That really stinks. They say it is easy to purchase the full version after using the trial version. I also purchased mine from Newegg and went to the acronis website and read the fax where it stated (as did the instructions that came with the CD) that you don't need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Not only did I need to uninstall, but I had to edit the registry? Surely they know people will be installing over the trial version. Why didn't they either write the install program to delete the registry key that handles the trial period counter or at least tell you to do an uninstall that would remove it? Because you could endlessly install and uninstall the trial period version whenever it expired? This does not give me great confidence that the rest of the programming is thoroughly debugged.

crossing my fingers.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Teffy and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As it is stated in User's Guide and in Acronis web site usually you can apply the update to the current installation without any problems.

Probably Acronis True Image 10.0 Home was unable to add your serial number to the registry record. Possible this issue is caused by third-party software or your system setting. In order to solve the issue please do the following:

1) Uninstall Acronis True Image 10.0 Home via Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image

2) Open registry editor (Start->Run->regedit) find the following branches:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\

and set permissions for these branches as "Full Control" for SYSTEM account and your account.

3) Install the full version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home once again.

This should allow Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to install correctly and you will be able to use the product.

In addition, would like to mention that as GroverH said, the full version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home requires one serial number to install. It is the upgrade version (Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Upgrade), which needs two serial numbers:

1) The serial number for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home Upgrade;

2) The serial number for your previous version of Acronis True Image.

Let me also correct nb47's reply

Bootable CD created with the trial version Acronis True Image 10.0 Home has limitation, namely, only restore option is available. Please have a look at this previous post for more information about the trial version of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.