my advice: Try other software first

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Antifreeze, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antifreeze

Antifreeze Registered Member

Just thought I'd report back on my further experiences of looking for a backup
    solution for my Vista laptop.

Having tried Paragon and Acronis first, both having huge, ugly problems on my
    laptop, I am amazed that every feature in ShadowProtect just simply works
    so far; no problems at all during a two week trial, doing incremental backups
    everyday to a usb drive, which is very often disconnected. The files are a
    third smaller, and it is about twice as fast as acronis. The scheduler is solid.

So my advice is to try other imaging software first, and only trial acronis
    and/or paragon if you really need to. Even though these two seem to be
    billed as the 'top' or 'most popular', in my experience they barely function.

EDIT:
    This thread was moved from the acronis forum by a mod.
    The whole point of it was to follow up on several posts I made during my trial
    of acronis, so I'm disappointed that it was moved. I don't think it was too
    critical of acronis, considering my experiences and those posted in their forum.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. RAD

RAD Registered Member

My only additional caution is to make sure to test the "Image Restore". Lots of programs look like they are working when making an image, but it is the "restore" part where things get tricky, and some have problems.

The really sticky part is that if it won't restore, then what do you do ?
    You need to have a reliable image stored before you can test image software!!

Good luck and be cautious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.