My Acronis home backups take forever..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nih, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nih

nih Registered Member

I use true image 9 at work so I have run my share of backup images. At home I bought true image home to make images of my Vista laptop. I just got the laptop home and the first thing I did was run an image of it in case something goes wrong during the reformat. I started the image at 10pm and when I woke up I checked the log and it finished around 5:30 AM!!! Why does it take so long? I used the default settings for compression and validated the image afterwards but 7 hours is rediculous!

I am backing up to a 250G usb drive.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Did you use TI11 or some other version?

Did you run the backup in Windows or did you use the TI rescue CD? Since you could access the log, I assume it was in Windows.

3. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Look like version 9 from that statement

4. nih

nih Registered Member

Sorry, I used True image home, whatever the current version is as I just purchased it yesterday. I am backing up to a USB harddrive using the bootable CD created from True image home

5. seekforever

Try doing the same backup but within Windows. Also check the version number of TI just so you know it. My guess is the TI recovery CD drivers are not a good fit for your system. The TI recovery environment is Linux, not Windows, and this is well known to cause problems on some systems.

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

how much data are you backing up? Normally with the default compression settings it should take 1 minute/gb of use data. If you have the latest version of true image boot cd , then your best bet is to make a bartpe/true image plug-in.

Also something you can try is instead of using the bootcd, backup each partition seperately (don't do a clone) from within windows. This way windows won't shutdown and you will be using the windows drivers to transfer to the external. This should be the quickest way.

As long as the backup completes with no errors, you can skip the verification. I never do a verification and all my restores have been successful. It's just a waste of time. If you do get a message that says "backup completed with errors" then even doing a verification isn't going to help you. If you are unsure of your backup, just mount it and browse through it, I don't even do that anymore. I trust my backups 100 percent.

7. seekforever

Good point, if you allocate 3.5hrs to the backup itself then 210GB would be typical and since the Linux CD can easily be 2X slower, 105GB would be allowed.

However, I disagree totally with not doing a validate particularly for the first few runs on a "new" machine and it certainly must be done with the Linux CD to ensure that environment works. As many of us believe, a test restore to a spare HD is necessary to know that TI properly supports your hardware and all is working properly.

Creating the archive without an error being reported is not a certain way of knowing the backup can be read and restored properly. It just means the disk was read, the archive created and the data shipped off to the external drive without any catastrophic error. It doesn't mean there isn't a marginal sector, it doesn't mean that there isn't a bad RAM location, a flakey cable, etc.

Given its ability to pick up all sorts of marginal HW problems I consider the TI validate a "almost whole" PC system diagnostic.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello nih,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

It's seems that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media has problems accessing the USB drive properly.

Please make sure you use the latest build (8101) of Acronis True Image 11 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If the latest build doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also check if the "USB legacy support" option in computer BIOS is turned on. If it is, please try turning it off and see if that solves the problem.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep the drive in question connected and powered on during the creation process.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. To expedite the resolution we recommend you to use our Live Chat service after that. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.