MX-15 review - Highway to rad

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Leap years are good. We can squeeze another article into February, and 'tis a fine and happy article. We have a long, thorough, positive review of MX Linux MX-15 64-bit edition with the Xfce desktop environment, a Debian-based distribution, covering live session, setup and post-install use on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, GPT, 16 partitions, and several Windows and Linux installations, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing and printing, smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone and iPhone, multimedia support - HD video and MP3, installation wizard pros and cons, package management and updates, applications and extras, highly useful MX Tools, hardware support, suspend & resume, stability, responsiveness, performance, resource usage, phenomenal battery life, customization, small problems, other observations, and more. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-15.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Thanks for the review, interesting, i m going to give it a try.

Rules.

3. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for the review.

With Xfce's panel options there's no such problem, but I see from the snapshots that the distro has its own tool (MX Panel Orientation), much less configurable than the DE's original, interesting.

4. inka

inka Registered Member

Too often reviewers of linux distros inanely fuss over petty little details.
    Further, this particular (er, peculiar) reviewer, across various reviews, isn't even consistent.

Case in point: In this review we find babbling and grumbling about "Not enough bling... too bland... yucky color... "
    yet, inline within the review, we find a link pointing to http://www.ocsmag.com/2015/10/14/smplayer-what-is-love/
    in which this same reviewer lamented
    As ever, certainly many of the nits picked by dodo in this review simply amount to
    PEBKAC https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/PEBCAK

Clearly, the reviewer has used xfce previously, extensively...
    yet could not figger howta change da panel orientation or adjust da volume?
    Seriously?

5. amarildojr

amarildojr Registered Member

I don't think that's the case. See:

"At some point, I decided to play with the panel and re-orient it horizontally, the way I like it."

And I think he knows how to change the volume. He stated that the volume control didn't work (which is a problem).

In fact, he only stated some of the OS's problems.

"The touchpad was a little too touchy"
    . Not all Fn buttons work
    - the volume cannot be controlled,
    but then, the system area icon for the volume also did not work for me."