MVPS Hosts File Installation

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beetlejuice, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I recently installed the MVPS Hosts file. I d/led it directly to my C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ETC folder. I Before extracting, I moved the OEM hosts file from the C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/ETC folder to a separate folder on my desktop. I then extracted the MVPS Hosts file. Is the folder I extracted the MVPS file to the correct default folder? It would appear to be working as I now have a slowdown when opening sites on the net.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hey beetlejuice, long time no see ? Hope you're all fine :)

What Cudni said :thumb: plus check this

4. beetlejuice

Yeah Clone Ranger I saw that. I thought about setting the DNS to manual. Does anyone ever have any problem re enabling it? Kind of make me nervous messing with it.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

If it's any help Beetlejuice I have that service set to manual without any problems. (XP) Not sure which OS you have.

I cheat when a new MVPS hosts file come out :) I just download the zip file to my desktop and unzip it onto the desktop. I click on the bat file and it all gets done automagically, then I just delete the few files off the desktop. Lazy I know, but it works.

6. beetlejuice

Thanks. OK. This morning the delay has disappeared. I am running under Shadowmode right now. Maybe that makes a difference having my virtual drive active.
    I went the long way around installing those files. I think I misread the instructions. Either that or it's old age. Yeah, that's my excuse.

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Open your Hosts file or check the text version at the MVPS site and copy and try to visit a few of the domains on the list, preferably Ad servers etc. instead of malware domains just in case it isn't working. If it's working then the page should be blank and the browser should say that the page is succesfully loaded. Or you can confirm it through your firewall/connection view program if it connects to 127.0.0.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.